• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cranwell

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
...Is that side of things addressed in a similar manner to RMAS if you are intending on becoming a Rock Officer?
The RAF Regt tend to treat IOT as a warm-up exercise; their training really begins when they get to Honington and start JROC. 37 weeks, most of them spent living under a bivvy sheet - rather them than me!
Also, not implying I know all, but I have an understanding 'Task, Team, Individual' and have used SMEAC extensively and 'Do, Review, Learn and Apply' sounds a bit like an extension to the lesser known (in the Cadet World) PICSIE.
PICSIE is very well known at Cranwell and provides the framework against which cadets are graded during leadership testing, although it doesn't have much to do with the Kolb cycle so I'm not sure why you drew that reference.
Not being a Jack Ba$tad or a mong is obvious enough, along with the so-called 'Airman Tendencies', however, while those with barcodes are supposed to hold themselves to a higher standard of behaviour, surely there's some overlap (after commissioning) of being I/C and being one of the lads as part of the camaraderie - the Holier than Thou attitude being the extreme of removing yourself from those you lead; to be truly respected is it not the case to maintain the right balance of friendship AND leadership? I feel that my experiences as a Spacey would help me repress any God Complex I may develop.
It is a very difficult line to tread and the natural instinct is to over-compensate by trying not to appear too friendly or too much one of the lads, because you quite simply aren't that any more. Fortunately, I have enough mates from my previous life who are happy to tell me when I'm being a dick. As for your spacey experience, that can be a help or a hindrance depending on how you play it. I knew one cadet who told everybody, repeatedly, that Cranwell couldn't teach him anything about leadership because he had years of experience teaching it to the ATC. He was 19. And he failed the leadership tests.
As I would be joining as a non-grad, does a track record of going above and beyond and positively effecting those and the processes around me in a civvy job, do enough to make up for this, given that it's experience that most Grads wouldn't have?
Your typical IOT course is made up 50% graduate direct entrants, 25% non-graduate direct entrants and 25% ex-rankers. Ignoring the tool I mentioned above, the people who impressed me most were the non-graduates, some of whom I am certain are destined to go a long way.

Last edited:
Really Helpful

Really Helpful

TBJ that's awesome stuff - just what I was looking for. The Kolb Cycle is something I'm unfamiliar with and so the tenuous link created in my head was based on terminology alone.

That cadet sounds like an idiot and was rightly outed as such.

Where's the best place (if any) to find out details about IOT and JROC etc - any blogs or diaries along the lines of 'Miss Eldridge's' Sandhurst waffle?

P.S. Vim, best not tell me that - I might end up coming after you in a few years! Although, I have to admit, beret-shaping was a hobby of mine once and it certainly gave rain a purpose.

Mag2grid

Corporal
All you need to know about J's is the following

1 - Until you get your mudguards forget any notion you might have your commission is worth anything
2 - Never any under circumstances start a sentance with "when I was on IOT/ in cadets"
3 - Bayonet training day is an absolute f**ker!
4 - If you are a jack f*ck you will get found out
5 - Get used to the smell of pig s*it from Troston
6 - Any night spent in your own bed in the block is a blessing.
7 - Its only 900m from the block to 159.
8 - Brazillas needs be to attended at least once as a course.

Sounds Fair.

Sounds Fair.

So does JROC run along similar lines to the field training at Sandhurst?
- I have no option but refer to that for comparison, because it's the only training insight I have apart from JLs.

Mag2grid

Corporal
Sorry for the delay in replying.

J's is run as a pure infantry course, there is a few bits of leadership thrown in for good measure but not on the scale of Sandhurst.

Depending on who you talk to (I've only had the pleasure of phase 1 and 2 of J's) some say J's is harder as its constant physical work rather then a balanced mix of class room based learning and field skills but you arent there to learn basic leadership, IOT "Should" have taught you that already.

A

amfortas

My DS at OCTU Henlow was a rock ape Flt Lt. Shortarse chap, built like a brick Kharsi.

I argued with him from day one, right to the end. He threatened to Court Martial me at one point (I was a Cpl substantive). He stood toe to toe and nose to nose with me 'behind the hangar', too at one disaterous point. I wrote scathingly about him in my weekly diary. He read it all out to me on my Graduation results interview, just before reading out what he had to say about me. He was glowing in his report. He gave me an 'A' and said he would consider it a pleasure to work with me in the future.

First class man who taught me one hell of a lot, not just about being an Officer, but about being a Man. I would say he was like a boxing coach who held up his hands for me to hit hard. And he hit hard back.

His last address to us all on Graduation, just before we marched on, was to the effect "You are all Officers now. For the next two years SHUT UP and listen to your Sergeants'. He took me and four others (out of forty odd) to one side after and said .." but YOU tell the Sergeants what YOU have decided".

I had been in the RAF for eight years. I learned more about leadership, courage, consistency, thinking and acting on the necessary realities at OCTU than at almost any other time in my life. It carried me well through the next twelve. I consider myself a fortunate man for my RAF and OCTU experience and my time before and aft the mast.

I can find still many parts that can be improved in the process but that is the nature of life.

Mag2grid

Corporal
Funny as that story always seems to have happened the on the course that hAs just graduated and is told on day 1 in Whittle Hall lecture theatre!
I do miss Cranwell at times.

Back