• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Diamond Jubilee Medal ?

Diamond Jubilee Medal ?

• I'm Serving and Would Welcome the Tin

Votes: 19 28.4%
  • I'm Serving and would prefer a pay rise

Votes: 28 41.8%
  • I'm Ex-Serving and Would Welcome the Tin

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • I'm Ex-Serving and Couldn't Really Care Less

Votes: 6 9.0%

• Total voters
C

CC

I know quite a few people that have done more dets than me; but, becuase they were to the likes of the Falklands (after the 1982 disagreement) and various Gulf States (post IRAQ NFZs) they don't have any campaign medals whereas I have a row full. I wouldn't count them as det dodging - though, to be fair, some of them are gits.

Totally agree CB, I know of one lad who has done 4 tours of the FIs and one Al Udeid tour, he's certainly not a det dodger yet only has 2 medals, GJM and LSGC; he'll probably look forward to getting the DJM.

chutley

LAC
Campaign medals, Jubilees, long service and other round trinkets = worthless tat. Record of your postings, nothing more.

Bravery medals of whatever level - worth having, worth showing respect to those who have them.

Campaign medals, Jubilees, long service and other round trinkets = worthless tat. Record of your postings, nothing more.

Bravery medals of whatever level - worth having, worth showing respect to those who have them.

Totally agree. Most RAFCampaign medals involve lording it up in a hotel or some cushy det accommodation unlike the grunts (rocks) doing proper trigger time on the front line who deserve a gong for risking their necks for Queenie. But I'm sure choc gongs make some people feel important.

PS I left with 8 and could not give a toss about any of them.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Totally agree. Most RAFCampaign medals involve lording it up in a hotel or some cushy det accommodation unlike the grunts (rocks) doing proper trigger time on the front line who deserve a gong for risking their necks for Queenie. But I'm sure choc gongs make some people feel important.

PS I left with 8 and could not give a toss about any of them.

Since when have campaign medals shown you were risking your neck? They are to show service on operations, nothing more.

WW2 front line infantry got the same star as a 3rd line cook, but that's how the system works.

I for one am proud of my medal, something to show for my service in Her Majesties RAF.

I only wear it on Rememberance day though, so I won't be signing this petition for something you will hardly ever wear as a civvy.

TrickyTree

Sergeant
Such cynicism as appears in this thread absolutely staggers me! The Golden Jubilee Medal, and the Diamond Jubilee Medal, are the personal gift of the Sovereign, who, let's not forget, we all swore to "...be faithful and bear true allegiance to..."

I can't believe people are so bloody ungrateful!

I've got four medals and each in it's own way means something - collectively they tell a story of stuff that I've done over a quarter of a century. I don't give them too much thought really, except I wear miniatures in the mess now and again and the full-size ones will be getting a cleaning soon for Remembrance (first time they've seen daylight since last year's!) but I am immensely proud of them all. And, incidentally, I don't see them as MY medals. I'm just looking after them before one day they get handed down to a Little TrickyTree.

N

NotAnIDOYet

Such cynicism as appears in this thread absolutely staggers me! The Golden Jubilee Medal, and the Diamond Jubilee Medal, are the personal gift of the Sovereign, who, let's not forget, we all swore to "...be faithful and bear true allegiance to..."

I can't believe people are so bloody ungrateful!

I've got four medals and each in it's own way means something - collectively they tell a story of stuff that I've done over a quarter of a century. I don't give them too much thought really, except I wear miniatures in the mess now and again and the full-size ones will be getting a cleaning soon for Remembrance (first time they've seen daylight since last year's!) but I am immensely proud of them all. And, incidentally, I don't see them as MY medals. I'm just looking after them before one day they get handed down to a Little TrickyTree.

Inclined to agree there, i have a medal shortage - no medal given for the initial stages of Op Veritas for those who were in Oman and involved, was downgraded for a few years so missed out on Iraq and have just got back from Afghanistan. Don't have the LS&GCM as I was a naughty boy but don't regret any of it. They are a reminder of good times and bad. However I also agree that if you don't meet the qualifying criteria etc then you don't get the tin...

I would like to be able to wear my NATO medal from AFG as I feel I earned it fair and square but rules is rules and all that - it does give me something to explain to the children as to why daddy was away for so long though.

Dragoon

Sergeant
I would like to be able to wear my NATO medal from AFG ...

Are we not allowed to wear that then?

I remember when I got mine we were told we couldn't wear it, then a little while later we were told that we could now have them on our No.1's. (That will have been around 2009 perhaps?)

Their minds changed again now?

P

POB

Are we not allowed to wear that then?

I remember when I got mine we were told we couldn't wear it, then a little while later we were told that we could now have them on our No.1's. (That will have been around 2009 perhaps?)

Their minds changed again now?

I stand to be corrected but as long as you were not awarded one by HMQ, then you can wear the NATO/UN one. Certainly the case for Bosnia. I have the UN and the NATO...Wear the UN one only. I believe that in civis you can wear all the others on the rhs if you want.

QDJM: If you are in and have done the 5 years, great, good luck, hope it looks nice. If not, you're not entitled...What's the problem?

Last edited:

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
Lots of off topic stuff going on here.

The list of what foreign campaign medals are authorised to be worn in uniform is published in the JSP on the intranet.

You cannot wear the NATO Afghanistan medal (I think mine is still in its box somewhere). Primarily this is due to the UK's policy that we can't wear 2 campaign medals for the same qualifying service. The Operational Service Medal (Afghanistan) was around before the NATO one and that remains the one we wear. We have never been allowed to wear the NATO one.

Balkans medals. It is feasible to wear both UN and NATO Bosnia medals so long as the qualifying periods were different. This could be concurrent especially if an individual was serving on the UN mission at its end (for enough time to qaulify for the UN medal) then carried on into the NATO Op as it took over for enough days to get the NATO one. Same tour but the periods of qaulifying service for each medal are different.

The Medal Committee's interpretation of a requirement for Risk and Rigour before the UK will issue a medal (or approve the wearing of a foreign one) appears to have tightened since about 2000. Hence why people in Italy wear medals for supporting air ops over the Balkans and those in the Gulf and Turkey during the 90s and early 2000s got one supporting air ops over Iraq, whereas those in the Gulf now dont get one for supporting air ops over Afghanistan. No doubt there would be a submission for Libya: it will be interesting to see the result. Do they restrict medal the same way they restricted the Operational Allowance or will they give it to all? On recent form it would be the former, if it's the latter (Italy, Cyprus, Marham!) then it would question why those in the gulf (or Nevada) don't get the OSM(Afghanistan) without the clasp. Doesn't effect me at all but would be interesting to see.

LS&GCM - I don't have one of those either (apart from the one that e-goat gave me).

As for the Battle of the Diamond Jubilee medal, it is the gift of the sovereign to whom I swore allegiance. If she says so then that is good enough for me. I just hope that the issue of my ACSM takes enough time so I can get both new dangly bits mounted together otherwise it's going to cost me a fortune.

Last edited:

gaznav

LAC
2011DIN09-012

Honours, Decorations and Medals - the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal

General

1. Her Majesty The Queen has been graciously pleased to approve the institution of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal for serving and volunteer members of the Armed Forces and the Emergency Services to commemorate the 60th anniversary of Her Accession on 6 February 2012.

2. This commemorative medal is designated and styled ‘The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal’, is circular in form, made of nickel-silver and does not bear the name of the recipient. It bears on the obverse the Crown Effigy of Her Majesty and on the reverse a heavily facetted diamond shape with, at its centre, a relief rendering of the crowned Royal Cipher. The dates 1952 and 2012 are arranged below the central design. The medal is suspended from a ribbon, one and a quarter inches in width, consisting of a red ribbon having borders of blue and a central white strip upon which is a central thin red stripe. There will be no nationality or sovereignty bars to the award of this medal.

3. The medal is to be worn on the left breast, immediately after campaign medals, including UN and NATO medals, and medals for valuable service with all other jubilee and coronation medals in date order of award. The medal or medal ribbon may not be worn until entitlement has been confirmed. The medal ribbon and appropriate miniature[SUP]1[/SUP] may be worn from 7 Feb 12 (6 Feb is also the anniversary of the death of the late King George VI and is not a suitable date to be celebrated). The medal may not be worn prior to 5 Jun 12 (the date of the official Diamond Jubilee Thanksgiving Service).

Eligibility

4. The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal is a commemorative medal. It is not an ‘Operational Service’, ‘Long Service’, ‘Meritorious Service’ or ‘Efficiency Medal’ all of which are already afforded national medallic recognition in their own right. The categories of personnel who qualify to be awarded the medal are as follows:

a. Regular Forces. All personnel who are in effective paid military service, to include service personnel undergoing medical treatment and those within the rehabilitation and recovery path way, within the Royal Navy, Royal Marines, Army and Royal Air Force on 6 Feb 12 and have completed 1826 days (5 full calendar years). The total of 1826 days qualifying service may be aggregated but non-effective, unpaid or broken service, will not count. However, there is no limit on the amount of non-effective, unpaid or broken service as long as the correct overall total of 1826 days aggregated effective service is fully accounted for as detailed in para 8 below. UK Service Personnel serving on official UK Loan and Exchange Service or on secondment will qualify as long as they fulfil all other eligibility criteria. In addition, the following qualifying criteria will apply:

(1) Any individual on unpaid service (e.g. maternity or paternity leave or a career break) on 6 Feb 12 will be eligible, although the period of unpaid service will not count towards the five years qualifying period.

(2) Personnel on unpaid service (that is, those who are absent without leave) on 6 Feb 12 will not be eligible for the medal.

(3) Personnel subject to disciplinary or administrative action on 6 Feb 12, which could result in dismissal or a period of service detention, will not be eligible for the medal until the final outcome of the disciplinary action has been determined. If the disciplinary action results in dismissal or a period of service detention and if no appeal against that outcome is upheld, the individual will not receive the medal. In all other outcomes, the individual’s eligibility will be determined in accordance with the normal criteria.

(4) In the case where individuals are undergoing training on 6 Feb 12 which needs to be successfully concluded prior to entering effective military service, but have accumulated five years qualifying service elsewhere, the award of the medal will be delayed until training had been successfully concluded.

b. Volunteer Reserve Forces All personnel who are in effective paid military service, as defined in paragraphs 4a above, and or in receipt of financial military remuneration[SUP]2[/SUP] within the Volunteer Reserve Forces on 6 Feb 12, and have received 5 Certificates of Efficiency. The total of 5 annual Certificates of Efficiency may be aggregated; however, training year 2011/12 must be one of the qualifying years.

2 – 9 There is no limit on the number of non-bounty earning training years or broken service as long as the correct overall total of 5 Certificates of Efficiency (annual bounty earning training years) is fully accounted for by 31 Mar 12. In addition to the criteria as defined in para 4a above, the following qualifying criteria will apply:

(1) Non Regular Permanent Staff (NRPS) are eligible for the medal and are to qualify under the same eligibility criteria as defined in paragraphs 4a above.

(2) Members of the Volunteer Reserve Forces who undertake Full Time Reserve Service (FTRS) are eligible for the medal and qualify under the same eligibility criteria as defined in paragraphs 4a above.

(3) Members of the Volunteer Reserve Forces who undertake Additional Duties Commitment (ADC) and are in effective paid military service on 6 Feb 12.

(4) Regular, NRPS, FTRS and ADC qualifying service may be aggregated in accordance with the criteria at Para 8 below.

(5) Personnel on sanctioned unpaid service on 6 Feb 12 that is not due to disciplinary action will be eligible for the medal but the period of unpaid service will not count towards the qualifying time criteria. The individual’s eligibility will be determined in accordance with the normal criteria.

c. Regular Reserves. Any member of the Regular Reserves who is in effective paid military service on 6 Feb 12, as defined in paragraphs 4a and b, will be eligible for the medal if their aggregated Regular service and/or Reserve service as detailed in para 8 amounts to 5 years qualifying service on 6 Feb 12.

d. Sponsored Reserves. Any Special Member of the Reserves Forces who has a valid Special Agreement on 6 Feb 12, and has had a Special Agreement for 1826 days (5 full calendar years) service. Qualifying service may be aggregated in accordance with the criteria in para 8 below.

e. Royal Fleet Auxiliary Service (RFA) Any correctly contracted personnel of the RFA, in effective paid RFA service on 6 Feb 12, having completed 1826 days service (5 full calendar years) will qualify for the medal. Unpaid days of service will not count as qualifying effective service. In addition, the following qualifying criteria will apply:

(1) Effective paid service may be aggregated across any number of the qualifying categories of service regardless of the length and number of breaks in between. However, only one period of qualifying effective service will count for those individuals who have periods of concurrent service.

(2) Personnel subject to disciplinary action on 6 Feb 12, which could result in dismissal, will not be eligible for the medal until the final outcome of the disciplinary action has been determined. If the disciplinary action results in dismissal and if no appeal against that outcome is upheld, the individual will not receive the medal. In all other outcomes, the individual’s eligibility will be determined in accordance with the normal criteria.3 – 9

(3) Personnel on sanctioned unpaid service on 6 Feb 12 that is not due to disciplinary action will be eligible for the medal but the period of unpaid service will not count towards the qualifying time criteria. The individual’s eligibility will be determined in accordance with the normal criteria

f. Uniformed Cadet Force Adult Volunteers

(1) Basic Criteria. A total of 5 training years effective volunteer service, i.e. from 1 April to 31 March (not necessarily continuous); additionally any qualifying Regular, Reserve or other Cadet service can count in accordance with Para 8 below. Any service must have started on or before 7 Feb 07 and service with cadets before 31 Aug 2011. Personnel must be in effective service on 6 Feb 12 and the training year 2011/12 must be one of the qualifying years to count.

(2) Effective Service. Is defined as:

(a) A minimum of 15 Training Days (TDs) per year (which can include days at annual camps); and or

(b) Those who have attended for duty for a minimum of 144 hours per year and completed all such regular, periodic training and compulsory training required in a qualifying year; and or

(c) Those who have attended for 40 accredited parade nights in a qualifying year.

(3) Those nominated must have the endorsement of their cadet unit commander.

h. Military Provost Guard Service (MPGS): Any member of the MPGS who is in effective paid military service on 6 Feb 12 may aggregate their MPGS and other qualifying service amounting to 1826 days (5 full calendar years) service to qualify for the medal. All other unpaid days of service will not count as qualifying effective service.

i. Individual living holders of the Victoria Cross (VC) and military holders of the George Cross (GC).

j. 4 and 5 Star retired officers, who have held the appointment of CDS, VCDS and or Service Chief and are still on the Active List.

5. MOD Emergency Services. MOD Emergency Services personnel who are in effective paid MOD service, retained or in a voluntary capacity, who:

a. As part of their conditions of service, are called to attend emergencies and who are potentially placing themselves in danger, and

b. Are in service on 6 Feb 12, and

c. Have aggregated service of five years or more on 6 Feb 12.

6. The following groups of MOD civilian personnel meet the definition of an emergency service, as defined above:

a. Ministry of Defence Fire Service.

b. Ministry of Defence Police.

c. Sovereign Base Area Police in Cyprus

d. Gibraltar Service Police

e. Northern Ireland Security Guard Service

f. MOD Ambulance Paramedics

7. Military Support Function, Retired Officers and civilian support staff will not receive the medal.

Aggregated Service

8. Combinations of all categories of qualifying service described above may be aggregated. A total of 1826 days (5 full calendar years) service must be completed and can only be made up of not less than the following minimum multiples:

a. 365 aggregated effective paid military service days as a member of the Regular Forces will count as one of the 5 years.

b. One Volunteer Reserve Forces annual bounty earning training year (1 Apr – 31 Mar), or equivalent, will count as one of the 5 qualifying years, and only one annual bounty is to count per year.

9. Qualifying service within UK emergency services, to include the MOD emergency service as detailed in paras 5 and 6 above, will count towards the five years eligibility criteria, provided the individual was in service on 6 Feb 12.

10. UK personnel serving overseas on paid secondment or loan terms outside the UK who had completed the minimum five year qualifying period on 6 Feb 12 will qualify for the medal. The individual’s eligibility will be determined in accordance with the normal criteria.

11. Previous equivalent service with Overseas Territories (Gibraltar, Bermuda, Falkland Islands or Montserrat) or Commonwealth countries of which The Queen is Head of State (Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Barbados, Bahamas, Belize, Canada, Grenada, Jamaica, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, St Christopher and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Solomon Islands, and Tuvalu) will count towards eligibility. The onus will be on individuals to provide evidence (as appropriate) of such service. Breaks of service in between any reckonable service are acceptable.

12. Only one qualifying period of eligibility will be considered as only one QDJM may be earned, accepted and worn by an individual. For example, MOD Emergency service personnel who serve as a Special Constable during their out-of-work time, should they have enough qualifying service in that respect as well, shall not accept a medal in respect of that volunteer service.

13. No other equivalent decoration, award or medal (including foreign or Commonwealth) may be worn by UK Armed Forces personnel to commemorate the Accession of Her Majesty The Queen.

Conclusion

14. A “ready reckoner” table for the different categories of qualifying MOD Service (Military and Emergency) detailed above is attached at the bottom of the DIN for reference.

Distribution and Issue

15. The medal will be issued, when available, to eligible personnel under single Service arrangements, including those who have subsequently resigned or retired; or to the Next-of-kin of eligible members who have since deceased. Commanding Officers may use their discretion, but are to ensure that the QDJM is handled and issued in a fashion that appropriately reflects the significance of the occasion that the medal commemorates.

16. Eligible Regular and Reserve Forces personnel will be automatically selected from JPA records and issued without the need to manually apply for the medal. The Royal Fleet Auxiliary HR Bureau, Cadets, MOD Police, Fire Service, ambulance paramedics and the Northern Ireland Security Guard Service will assess the entitlement of their respective personnel in accordance with the eligibility criteria and will demand bulk supplies of medals for distribution through their own administrative arrangements.

17. It is anticipated that the majority of medals will be distributed by May 2012. There may however be a small number of eligible personnel who may be omitted from the automated selection process. Units and individuals not administrated by JPA, or an affiliated system, should make a manual application using form JPA S003 to the MoD Medal Office after 31 May 2012. This is to ensure there is no double accounting. Emergency Service Personnel should contact their respective Headquarters.

18. In the first instance individual enquires on eligibility and qualifying criteria should be forwarded to and reviewed by single Service chains of command.

19. A further DIN will be published in due course providing more detail on distribution and issue.

1 Miniatures are procured and mounted at individual expense, as per Service Dress regulations.

2 A member of a volunteer Reserve Force who undertakes training under s22 or s27 of RFA 96 (obligatory training or voluntary training or other duties) and achieves the Certificate of Efficiency can receive the tax free Training Bounty.

:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
f. Uniformed Cadet Force Adult Volunteers

(1) Basic Criteria. A total of 5 training years effective volunteer service, i.e. from 1 April to 31 March (not necessarily continuous); additionally any qualifying Regular, Reserve or other Cadet service can count in accordance with Para 8 below. Any service must have started on or before 7 Feb 07 and service with cadets before 31 Aug 2011. Personnel must be in effective service on 6 Feb 12 and the training year 2011/12 must be one of the qualifying years to count.

And the Civilian Instructor, who does all the work (and often more) than a Uniformed Volunteer, goes unremarked.
I know of several who probably deserve some sort of recognition.

Oberon305

Chairborne
f. Uniformed Cadet Force Adult Volunteers(1) Basic Criteria. A total of 5 training years effective volunteer service, i.e. from 1 April to 31 March (not necessarily continuous); additionally any qualifying Regular, Reserve or other Cadet service can count in accordance with Para 8 below. Any service must have started on or before 7 Feb 07 and service with cadets before 31 Aug 2011. Personnel must be in effective service on 6 Feb 12 and the training year 2011/12 must be one of the qualifying years to count.And the Civilian Instructor, who does all the work (and often more) than a Uniformed Volunteer, goes unremarked. I know of several who probably deserve some sort of recognition.
Whilst you have a point X-B......where do you draw the line? Do you give it to a cleaner who has cleaned blocks on camp for 20 years, or the guy who's sold kebabs outside the bop for years? They both provide a valuable service!