• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

dress regulations

ozzie

LAC
i wasnt sure where to post this so if its wrong im sorry and could a moderator please move it? Also i have done a search and cant find anything wich suprises me on this subject.....

Some one i work with has just been told to remove a religious neck chain. The chain is very thin and plain, also long enough that you cant spot it unless the individual had been moving around quit a bit and it had moved to higher up the neck line, on the end of the chain is a small white gold crucifix.
Said individual refused to take it off as they strongly beleive this should be worn by themselves for acceptance from their god. They were then threatend with P1 action for insubordination. The individual has now removed the chain but strongly disagrees with doing so and has been to see the padre for further advice.
I presonally think if they beleive that strongly they should be allowed to wear it, does anyone have any info for me on this matter.

Wasn't this a headline news thing recently causing much debate?
I'm sure if other "religions" are allowed to display their "faith" then Christians should as well.
Aren't guys given crucifixes to attach to their I'd disks in theatre.
Personally I think faith should be a personal thing but I also think that if we want to display it openly then we should. Look at our Muslim friends for example. Their 5hit would turn blue if any suggestion was made ditch burkhas etc. Same rule should apply across the board.
But I get the subtle feeling this post is fishing for emotive replies. I personally don't give a flying fcuk. I just don't like inequality of any colour or persuasion. Whether its against muslims, Christians, homosexuals or, god forbid it, Army personnel.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Just checked AP1358 which although it doesn't have a specific section for religious jewellery it'll more than likely fall under the general heading of 'Trinkets and Jewellery'. ie not allowed. One of those things really, why make it easy for Joe SWO to pick you up?

4everAD

Sergeant
As a member of the Christian faith I don't believe you HAVE to wear a crucifix to identify this to everyone (Unless maybe you're a priest/vicar). Other religions compell individuals to wear certain items of clothing or symbols to demonstrate their faith to the world i.e. I believe Sikh males are obliged to not cut their hair and wear Turbans (Stand by to be corrected as I'm no expert on these matters). So I'm sorry but I to would tell the individual to remove it whilst in uniform.

litterman

SAC
This is old hat and been done .It was an arline employee .She actaly won her case and was rensateted so it shows you .Its do as i say or else

Big Jock

SAC
Subscriber
The danger in such a discussion is that it is made emotive by stating that the item was a crucifix. If the question was, " can an item of jewellery be worn in uniform?" then the answer would be, as has been stated, that the regulations forbid this, end of story. The incident some time ago with the air stewardess was blown out of all proportion by those who chose to say that she had been ordered to remove a religious item when in actual fact she had been ordered to remove an item of jewellery which the airline regulations stated could not be worn. The style or significance of the item is irrelevant, if it is jewellery and the regulations forbid the wearing of jewllery then take it off or suffer the consequences.

John

Mug?

Flight Sergeant
how about?

how about?

Your "friend" could always get a help for hero's necklace in the shape of a cross, apparently rules are there unless it would be an emotive news story.

Rules are rules!

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
Ozzie, on what grounds was your colleague asked to remove his chain? I know lot's of people that wear them on a daily basis. There are reasons for such draconian regulations but these are more to do with health and safety working with lethal voltages and/or FOD hazard.

If your colleague doesn't work around aircraft and wears his chain discretely he should be allowed to continue wearing it. Unfortunately, he has no cause to redress as the person complaining was quoting dress regs correctly.

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
Not really, thats why so many here took redundancy and the rest have pvr'd. To work for a company who are not in the dark ages.

I took redundancy and handed in my uniform this week. I thought I'd feel a bit sad but to be honest it felt fantastic. I also got my letter confirming acceptance of my request to not join the reserves so doubly pleased.

Dixie68

SAC
As said above, the wearing of a crucifix is not a formal part of the Christian religion, if it was it would be allowed. Other religions do have certain requirements so the dress code is ammended in their cases.

Digzster

Sergeant
Not really, thats why so many here took redundancy and the rest have pvr'd. To work for a company who are not in the dark ages.

I don't disagree at all with you XVR, the point being, if the OP's friend feels "offended" in not being able to wear their cross they can do exactly what you and and others have done if you don't want to live under the military rules.

Back