• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

dress regulations

PraiseBacon

Sergeant
Dress Regs is one of those things that get flaunted by everyone but is generally ignored as long as you look smart. How many of you have the crease in your shirt sleeves lined up with the middle of the epaulette or with the stitching at the bottom? Who still has the plastic lining in their beret? Maybe it's time for certain aspects of dress regs to be modernised.

Well said!

Dress regs, and many other regs, get flaunted all the time, and people seem OK with it , as long as you look smart and don’t do anything stupid!.

I always adopted an attitude of I know what the regs are, and know what the penalty is if I get caught – from there you make a choice as to whether to blindly obey the regs – or bend them a little (the bit about not doing anything stupid). However, The key to it is, if you get picked up when bending / flaunting the regs – you don’t get to winge about it!.

For example, Not all that long ago, it was charge if you were caught in the wraf block – we all knew it, and most of us went in anyway. I was lucky and never got caught, but know many people who did – all of whom took the fine / jankers on the chin and laughed it off afterwards

I remember getting caught improperly dressed at Valley by the scary wraf SWO that was there in the mid 80’s. I got shouted at for about 5 minutes – which I took as I knew I was in the wrong, and when I was asked if I has anything to say for myself just said ‘sorry ma’am – won’t happen again’ and was send on my way. (Scary SWO was actually a decent person, just a stickler for certain rules – I actually ran into her years later and she remembered the incident, and mentioned the only reason I didn’t get charged was I took the blocking and didn’t offer excuses or whine about it – had I done either a charge was coming!).

I also remember being in a small ops room where the officers wore those blue name tag things on their jumpers – they modifies theirs from surname only to full name, and job role. So the assistants went through a phase of taking the **** with some we made as well – mine had something to the effect of “ The Pom – tea boy” on it from memory). The boss went with it or a while – then said jokes over, time to stop wearing them – so we did, no winging, just stopped wearing them.

I also got charged 3 times along the way, one admonished, one 7 days point, and one not guilty – and there were many, many more times I should have been charged for flouting regs but wasn’t. never once did I complain the rules were wrong

Getting back to the point of can you wear a cross or not – dress regs are clear – no you can’t.

Will anything happen in 99% of cases if you wear a small, discrete, cross under your uniform – probably not. Especially if taken off without a winge if pulled up on it.

Regs do change over time - not as a result of complaining how unfair it is if you get caught - but by rational suggestions up the chain of command - eg when the AOC's laccy's come to do a road show and hear opinions.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
And that WAF in the middle with her hair over her collar... should be up in a bun. Shocking!

D

dozyscopie1

I am still wearing my pcs to work, without blue rank slide, although I have started tucking the shirt in. One step at a time eh.

8:15fromOdium

Sergeant
Funny how dress regs are getting quoted yet the system seems to allow squadrons of rocks to ignore the same regulations !!

Many moons ago the only dress reg on SH was that (on det) no 2 individuals should be dressed the same, is it still the same today?

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
I think that it's only available on the intranet (though it could be on airwaves too). E-goat rules say we can't link to or reproduce intranet only stuff.

I would try and find the DIN number for you. However, I'm not back at my desk until Thursday (doing pre-deployment training), so someone else may be able to find out earlier.

IIRC The gist of the DIN is:

RAF standard working dress is No2 SD. Any units wishing to wear No3 SD (ie PCS CU or CS95) are to gain approval from an RAF 2-star or above.

Unless deployed on ops or engaged in strenuous activities then the PCS CU lightweight JACKET should be tucked into the trousers.

'Blue' rank slides are to be worn - unless on Ops or Op training when commanders can direct that the subdued rank slides can be worn.

The stable belt can be worn with PCS CU when not on ops or op trg.

A new RAF recognition flash will be introduced to be worn in place of the RAF TRF when not on ops. The RAF TRF will continue to be worn on ops.

RAF personnel are not to wear the accouterments of other services (ie berets and stable belts) only RAF authorized items of uniform are to be worn with RAF uniforms.

The wearing of RAF uniform by RAF personnel is a single-Service issue. Members of other Services cannot direct RAF personnel to wear uniform contrary to the RAF's direction.

I think that that was the gist - happy to be corrected by someone with access to the DIN.

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
So, forgive me if I didn't understand, while on det when - probably - working alongside civilians, other Services and/or other nations the way to portray the RAF is not to look as smart in uniform as the circumstances permit?

he_who_dares_rodney

Flight Sergeant
So, forgive me if I didn't understand, while on det when - probably - working alongside civilians, other Services and/or other nations the way to portray the RAF is not to look as smart in uniform as the circumstances permit?

I remember the pre C95 kit being nicked named "Cuban Combats" after some one described an RAF Det (an RAF officer talking) as looking worse than a third world militia.

I can also remember the days of combat trousers and jackets being worn with blue shirt and tie plus blue woolly pully.
I still laugh at the GDT Rock Sgt's face when some one wore that get up in Akrotiri in '93 plus puttees.
Thought he was going to have a heart attack.

There is a line between "Ally" and bag of ****e it's a pity some people don't spot it.

8:15fromOdium

Sergeant

Are you ILLBW in disguise? ;~) Seriously, at the time of the det (94 or 95) we didn't have a standard issue of combats, some of us had the European issue (of the various DPM patterns that were about then), others had early issues of CS95, and as there wasn't enough of that some of us got the tropical version to wear. Couple that to multiple styles of T-Shirts, Hairy Mary's and Norgies and standardization was impossible. We may have looked like Fred Karnos Army, but our servicability stats ensured we never missed a tasking unlike the other Services and other nations taking part.

There is a line between "Ally" and bag of ****e it's a pity some people don't spot it.

Amen to that

Back