• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Eng Tech registration. Anyone done it?

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
We can only assume so. Only a complete mug would pay for that any time before their last year in the RAF.

Or you could do it earlier and reap the benefits of joining an organisation, utilising it's resources and networking. But then, you'd have to be complete mug to be prepared.......

Downsizer, I did TMT2 in 2008 and it was on offer then. They also help you with applications if you did TMT ages ago.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Yes I joined the IIE (as was) a long time before I decided to leave the RAF. I saw it as showing a commitment to my profession and my professional development; and a recognition of my professional competence.

Has it got me a job? Well the jury is out on that, but anything that can give you an edge and get your CV read instead of the next guys has to be worth something. Also, many of the more senior engineers jobs I know see advertised required IEng/CEng or working towards; so don't poo poo it out of hand. This was actually a 'preferred' part of the job I know currently do, and the fact I was working towards IEng could have only helped.

Is it the be all and end all? No of course not, just like having a degree does not automatically get you a fantastic job.

Finally, many of the larger civilian companies will pay your professional fees every year; good job really because I think the IET is currently costing me £150 per annum.

riggrrrr

SAC
Had some dealings with the IET here at Cosford recently, just in case you aren't aware they have a specific forces website where your modern apprenticeship etc is already mapped out. There is also a possibility of a fee reduction too

Have a look at http://pn.iee.org/armed-forces/index.cfm

Thanks for that link. I think it will be the IET for me then. £80 TMIET membership and free to register as an EngTech through their Forces scheme. Just need to grab my FS as a reference i reckon.

Back