• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Engineer Ground Taxi of Aircraft

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
With the exception of Cosford, are there any other platforms which allow authorised ground taxi of aircraft by technicians?

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I am looking for aircraft types and any good reference info.

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
I am looking for aircraft types and any good reference info.
You might want to search amongst the JAP etc for the term "Taxi Pilot" pretty sure that was the terminology written on the auth chits I authorised when I was still in.

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I jumped the chocks in a Victor during an EGR.
Fuel load too light - power toooooooo high.
I also scuffed OC Eng's carpet during the subsequent 'interview'...

Civvy companies maintaining MOD civvy type aircraft did have engineers taxi aircraft to compass bases and high pwr running pads until about Oct last year, when the MAA stopped it cos they had a panic on!!! ffs. It saved a lot of time and f""king about. Now these companies just bill the MOD for more time and tug hire--simples.
Interesting to see how virgin- i mean Air tanker will do it.

G

grumpyoldb

Civvy companies maintaining MOD civvy type aircraft did have engineers taxi aircraft to compass bases and high pwr running pads until about Oct last year, when the MAA stopped it cos they had a panic on!!! ffs. It saved a lot of time and f""king about. Now these companies just bill the MOD for more time and tug hire--simples.
Interesting to see how virgin- i mean Air tanker will do it.

That's fine untill it goes wrong, then the sh1t hits the fan. :pDT_Xtremez_42:

I believe that during an engine run as part of handing an aircraft over to the company, an operator tried to hold the aircraft on the brakes.

The parking brake had less of a pressure than actually using the foot motors on the rudder pedals. So the parking brake was set to off to allow the foot motors to operate.

There was 2 people in the cockpit, one running the engine and the other holding it on the brakes. The guy holding it on the brakes made a NWS input through the rudder pedals which i believe disabled some of the braking pressure.

This then lead to the end result in the picture...

So, maybe not a good place to be sitting if your an engineer...

airbus%20340-600%20adat%20crash.jpg

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
I believe that during an engine run as part of handing an aircraft over to the company, an operator tried to hold the aircraft on the brakes.

The parking brake had less of a pressure than actually using the foot motors on the rudder pedals. So the parking brake was set to off to allow the foot motors to operate.

There was 2 people in the cockpit, one running the engine and the other holding it on the brakes. The guy holding it on the brakes made a NWS input through the rudder pedals which i believe disabled some of the braking pressure.

This then lead to the end result in the picture...

So, maybe not a good place to be sitting if your an engineer...

airbus%20340-600%20adat%20crash.jpg

It was a bunch of F**k WITS who didn't take account of what they were doing compared to what the aircraft was capable of...

High power runs on a large CAT type require a large fuel load and the aircraft to be CHOCKED! This aircraft wasn't chocked. The EPR settings were beyond the braking capacity of the system as set to park. It was only when the aircraft started to move that the guy used the toe brakes (releasing full brake capacity to the aircraft. Pressing the pedals also releases the parking brake detent)
Airbuses and Boeings steer on the taxi by use of a tiller wheel, not the rudder pedals. The use of the wheel over a certain angle does reduce the braking circuits available thus brake capacity. Why they didn't chop the throttles as well when the kite start to move is a mystery and confirms their status of f**kwits.

Last edited:

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
I taxied an ATR72 around Jersey airport once and parking next to the right ramp was bit of a a pain, but only ground runs since.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
It was a bunch of F**k WITS who didn't take account of what they were doing compared to what the aircraft was capable of...

High power runs on a large CAT type require a large fuel load and the aircraft to be CHOCKED! This aircraft wasn't chocked. The EPR settings were beyond the braking capacity of the system as set to park. It was only when the aircraft started to move that the guy used the toe brakes (releasing full brake capacity to the aircraft. Pressing the pedals also releases the parking brake detent)
Airbuses and Boeings steer on the taxi by use of a tiller wheel, not the rudder pedals. The use of the wheel over a certain angle does reduce the braking circuits available thus brake capacity. Why they didn't chop the throttles as well when the kite start to move is a mystery and confirms their status of f**kwits.

The guy sat in the RHS lost his legs. The others lost their jobs.

As for not retarding the throttles, I thought that another groundcrew member on board lunged forward over the centre pedestal to chop them beck, stumbled and pushed them forward.

There's a report somewhere and there was a great thread on PPrune about it with all sorts of nonsense being spouted.

And believe it or not, I was there on the airfield at Blagnac the night that it occurred. Blue lights everywhere!!!

Taxiing past the wreckage the day after when flying home certainly made a few pax nervous!:0

I've still got the pics of it on an old mobile phone.

TW