• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England v Wales Tonight!

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
First real test for England. I'm minded to be 'nice' about the Welsh as I'm married to one but to be honest she doesn't read the Goat...

I reckon after a spirited start by the Druids the crippling injury list will be a factor and England will wear them down.

Prediction - England 32 Wales 12

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
I'm married to one too but feel no need to be nice to them. Sod 'em.

Not an easy English victory tonight, as this is the equivalent of the World Cup final for them, playing us. Five points in it.

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
England win due to home advantage.

That's if Sam Burgess doesn't go for the "destructing" tackle that actually results in a Welsh playmaker taking the hit and popping the ball into the gap for a strike runner to run into Sam's position..................

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts

That's if Sam Burgess doesn't go for the "destructing" tackle that actually results in a Welsh playmaker taking the hit and popping the ball into the gap for a strike runner to run into Sam's position..................

Let's slag the league player. Nothing positive to say.

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I'm not slagging him. All rugby league players, old Andy Farrell included, have sublime tackling, handling and running skills. The problem they face is adapting to Union in my view and understanding subtle but significant differences like body positioning on the floor, securing the ball in a ruck, supporting in a maul and NOT going for the big hit because it looks good for the cameras.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I'm not slagging him. All rugby league players, old Andy Farrell included, have sublime tackling, handling and running skills. The problem they face is adapting to Union in my view and understanding subtle but significant differences like body positioning on the floor, securing the ball in a ruck, supporting in a maul and NOT going for the big hit because it looks good for the cameras.

So he does this hit every match does he.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

Or Sam Burgess goes for the "destructing" tackle that actually results in the Welsh player who takes the hit coughing the ball up and an England strike runner powers through the gap created by Sam's position to get in behind the Welsh lines.

Oh and 34- 16 England

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Or Sam Burgess goes for the "destructing" tackle that actually results in the Welsh player who takes the hit coughing the ball up and an England strike runner powers through the gap created by Sam's position to get in behind the Welsh lines.

Oh and 34- 16 England

Again bang on and a possibility. England will just have to hope his decision making is spot on!!!

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Ffs it's just not him playing.

Quite so, there will be 29 others out there (plus numerous subs) trying for their respective countries, I just hope the game is decided by the quality of rugby played and not by a plethora of yellow cards being flashed around.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Well what a game all those points and only 2 tries. 180 tackles made. What's that all about.

Plus MoM given to someone for kicking 7 penalties from 7. No wonder you changed the points awarded for a try, maybe they should change it again.

Lancaster made a big mistake in taking Burgess off for Ford. Wales didn't have a look in until then.

Last edited:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I disagree. I don't think there was a place for Burgess or Farrel in the starting line up...burgess struggled to get into the game and Farrel, although he kicked well kicked out of the hand too much as did Brown.

As much as it sickens me to say it...Gavin Hastings called this upset mid-week in a paper column...he said its was a tactical mistake by Lancaster to bring in Farrel and not allow a winning team to settle down. England, especially in the second half, lacked a game plan and some on field leadership...especially when presented with the chance of a draw.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I would have thought going for a win was leadership.

Depends on the context. A win and a draw is better than a win and a loss in the context of a tight group in a World Cup. Mentally England are on the back foot after last night and if they are feeling anything like I am currently my faith in Lancaster is a little bit dented.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
What I know about the working of Rugby could be written on a postcard.
But dare I hope that the player/s who gave the Welsh side TWO Effing penalties will bee lynched ?

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
England were absolutely right to go for the line out. It was their best chance of scoring, even Farrel with his golden boot couldn't guarantee a shot from that angle. Their problem was the decision to put the ball to the front of the line out and have to maul starting closer to the touch line. A schoolboy error of the highest magnitude.

In any case, that was just a culmination of a series of tiny thoughtless errors that let Wales claw back the score-line.

For me the game changed in the second half. Wales did their utmost to keep the ball in play to avoid the set-pieces. They also had better fitness than England, allowing them to take the pressure moments and keep thinking and frustrating England at every opportunity. It worked.

I don't think it was anything to do with individuals, if it was Wales may as well have not turned up. It was a team win which required a full 80 minutes of hard play and quick thinking. Well done to Wales...