• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Flexible pipes - hoses

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Bit of a crewroom discussion/arguement over this. What is the difference between a fexible pipe and a hose in a hyd or brake circuit. Anybody got a"by the book" definition of the two or is it two names for the same thing.

Cheers TB

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Thats two names for the same thing isnt it?
Hoses are also called flexible hoses as named in the AP on the subject, Flexible Hoses and End Fittings. I forget the AP number.
Perhaps it derives from different manufacturers?

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
In my defense, I am a fairy :PDT_Xtremez_30:

Did you get mixed up with wires and strings?:PDT_Xtremez_30:

TB, surely you have some AP's for reference up there at the Centre of Excellence?
Who teaches hyd systems? They should have some clue? Maybe...........:PDT_Xtremez_30:

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Thats two names for the same thing isnt it?
Hoses are also called flexible hoses as named in the AP on the subject, Flexible Hoses and End Fittings. I forget the AP number.
Perhaps it derives from different manufacturers?

That's near the truth I reckon, just a matter of individual companies using differing terminology to describe the same items. As was mentioned braided pipes, braided hoses etc. But is there a definative out there???

From the concise Oxford

Pipe - A tube of metal, plastic, wood etc used to convey water, gas etc.

Hose - A fexible tube conveying water etc.

Clear as mud then

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Thats what I thought TB. Your original question looked like both were flexible.
Pipes are rigid, so they dont need braiding, therefore the strength comes from the pipelines wall and routing is by means of bending (mashing!) the pipe.

Hoses are flexible and depending on how flexible they need to be for routing and what pressure they carry will then affect what braiding they need.

Large bore double braided hoses are a beatch to fit end fittings to!

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
TB, surely you have some AP's for reference up there at the Centre of Excellence? Who teaches hyd systems? They should have some clue? Maybe......:PDT_Xtremez_30:

It's the hyd guru's who are having the bitchfest matey.

** New info just arrived from the resident appo in the office.

Pipes are measured by internal diameter, hoses are measured by external diameter. Must be true an appo said it and they are really clever blokes allegedly maybe or then again maybe not

P

pie sandwich

Pipes are measured by internal diameter, hoses are measured by external diameter. Must be true an appo said it and they are really clever blokes allegedly maybe or then again maybe not

I thought I had sunk to new depths by asking a REME SSGT, but you go and ask a bl00dy appo, shame on you :PDT_Xtremez_30:

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber

Sounds good.
A pipe is demanded against its internal bore and a hose against its external diameter and its braiding.

Bleddy appos!!:PDT_Xtremez_30:

radrob

Corporal

I think you`ll find if it came from one of Trenchards finest it will be gospel. Shame on you for not immediately addressing us walking wikipedias with your head scratcher. We also are very good on goats and ritual abuse.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Perhaps TB this is one of those instances where the names are interchangeable and no real difference exists. In other words, sometimes we over-analyse things looking for the perfect answer where none actually exists!

Lamptramp

An ex-DF - in dog rescue!
Perhaps TB this is one of those instances where the names are interchangeable and no real difference exists. In other words, sometimes we over-analyse things looking for the perfect answer where none actually exists!

I think you just hit the nail (tack, fastner, rivet, pin) on the head. Hoses is pipes wiv attitude. Pipes is hoses on a bad day.

Some people seem to be arguing out of boredom. WTF does it mater they both carry fluid to where it needs to be - or back from wence it came! :PDT_Xtremez_42:

Back