• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Flexible pipes - hoses

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I believe a more correct definition may be:
Hose/Hosepipe - carries some sort of a liquid.
Pipe - can carry gas/air/wires etc.

Ping

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Right you bunch of legacy TG1 wierdos. If I demand a pipe on internal diameter and hose on external diameter. How do I demand some hosepipe?

Try the local garden centre!:PDT_Xtremez_28:

Oi TB, who was debating this? It's one of my subjects and I feel outraged that such an important discussion was being carried out without my knowledge!:PDT_Xtremez_25:

Mind you, good job really as most of those in the argument would have seen the holes in my delivery!:PDT_Xtremez_06:

HTB

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Bit of a crewroom discussion/arguement over this. What is the difference between a fexible pipe and a hose in a hyd or brake circuit. Anybody got a"by the book" definition of the two or is it two names for the same thing.

Cheers TB

As a guess:

To my mind, a 'hose' carries relatively high pressure (braided or otherwise reinforced nothwithsatnding, round somethig which moves.

A 'flexibly hose' carries low pressure stuff (water, air, steem, etc).

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Okay?

Why is a pipe type hose which carries compressed air called an air LINE?

You mean an airline hose?

There is no question here.

A pipe is rigid. If its flexible its a hose, hence the name flexible hose.
They can both carry high pressure and low pressure.
I used to make flexible hoses in a hyd bay. They were called flexible hoses in the AP regardless of whether they were high pressure, low pressure, carried oil or fuel.

Off Topic I couldnt read the link on the hoist or winch thing as I'm not a member of that site.
But, I would say that a hoist is the hoist motor with a cable and drum, and that a winch is the whole assy when it is fitted to a support frame complete with all the required items to carry out winching.
When you get a hoist from stores the log card details it as a hoist, not a winch.

P

pie sandwich

You mean an airline hose?

Off Topic I couldnt read the link on the hoist or winch thing as I'm not a member of that site.
But, I would say that a hoist is the hoist motor with a cable and drum, and that a winch is the whole assy when it is fitted to a support frame complete with all the required items to carry out winching.
When you get a hoist from stores the log card details it as a hoist, not a winch.

Well what about a 'winchman' better known as a dope on a rope!
I would expect the winch to be powered from another source (not manpower) and may/may not require a pully system, depending on gearing.

I would have thought that Hoist would be mechanical (manpowered) using a series of pullys, Given the term "To Hoist someone up".

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Well what about a 'winchman' better known as a dope on a rope!
I would expect the winch to be powered from another source (not manpower) and may/may not require a pully system, depending on gearing.

I would have thought that Hoist would be mechanical (manpowered) using a series of pullys, Given the term "To Hoist someone up".

Thats why the hoist itself is called a hoist. It is the mechanical or electrical assy that does the work.
When the hoist is fitted to the aircraft via the winch frame and backplate the whole assy becomes a winch assy, hence winchman.
The AP clearly calls the motor a hoist.
You can remove the hoist on its own or remove the winch assy as a whole item including the frame etc that the hoist is mounted on.
On the computer system we run they are clearly detailed as hoist motor, winch frame and the whole assy is the winch assy.
When you fit a new hoist you have to fit it to the winch frame; our test details checking the motor itself as well as hanging a large weight (roughly equivalent to SB:PDT_Xtremez_42: ) off of it to check the frame, known as a winch weight check (not a hoist weight check).

Back