• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Has new technology "deskilled" us?

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I witnessed this while teaching at Cosford and we had students that had never done trigonometry at school.

Well that my view, back to my desk in the real world. :PDT_Xtremez_30:

Off Topic At a recent parents evening, my son's math's teacher told me that is was possible for a student to gain an A grade Mathematics GCSE without being able to handle algebra! Some students get to A Level and cant understand why they find it much harder. Lucky for him, he'll be taking math's GCSE a year earlier to allow him to take a bridging course before A Level.

Shugster

Warrant Officer
I believe most of the de-skilling is the commisioned master class beliving the hype from the equipment suppliers. The MTBF figures and the ease of operation on most new equipment is not as advertised. An example on delivery of a new J Herc, we had to change the Radar processors after about 14 hours, instead of the 2000 hours quoted.

All this technology will find the faults for you, does not really ring true either. The more a system is integrated and the more techology is involved the wider the scope of what can cause the fault and make it harder to find.

The training at Cosford is being reduced, which means the skills you get on the line are going down. They are probably still training equipments used in obsolete aircraft, rather than teaching on more modern integrated systems.

The wide spread curriculum at school means that kids are leaving school with tonnes of GCSEs but have no real depth of knowledge in core subjects. I witnessed this while teaching at Cosford and we had students that had never done trigonometry at school.

Well that my view, back to my desk in the real world. :PDT_Xtremez_30:

I have just spent 2 days finding a fault on a Data / Address BUS and I'm ready to kill somebody! :PDT_Xtremez_32:

The more complex it is, the more can go wrong with it. And with Processors the fault can lie somewhere else causing wrong addresses / data to make a wrong answer that snowballs very quickly. :PDT_Xtremez_42:

Technology solves some problems but brings with it alot of others when things go wrong.

S

SmokeDogg

Definatly Not

Definatly Not

You need to think positive. It's reskilling, not deskilling...

Exactly, im a mech on Typhoon and when it comes down to fault diagnosis + component changes its all the same. You just need to think about it differently with all the computer intergration. There isn't less techies on typhoon squadrons than harrier squadrons, and the (apparantly) autonomous nature of typhoon is just as fault filled as with other types, seeing us doing all the old fault invest tricks on a regular basis. Its slightly reskilled not deskilled. As for preadator/Reeper i cant say!!

I write diagnostic software for the Automotive industry and yes most of your comments on this thread are valid however as an ex avionic engineer the reasons for the apparent de-skilling is that the lords and masters have recognised that 90% of kids coming out of school do not have the inquisitive nature required to be a true engineer.

Kids do not play with meccano or lego or take the radio to bits to find out how it works instead it is spent on the t'internet or the playstation.

The other problem the RAF suffers is that although it would like to de-skill the roles it can't because the aircraft in service are generally over 20years in service whereas in the automotive industry it takes 3yrs and becoming less to get a car into the field with increasing technology.

Take the latest Range Rover 43 individual ECU's using CAN and MOST fibre optic networks the problem I face is the technicians in the car industry don't want to know how it works and would rather change the clutch so we have to de-skill the roles to make it simple stupid.

You will never get rid of the true engineer who can look at the problem and apply reason and logic in solving the problem. The software is only as good as the person writing and data available from the OEM(s) who like to keep this to themselves to diagnose the problem

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Reading this, I am sorta glad I was brought up with kinetic knife theory and differentiating PRV's from PRV's (you know what I mean).

I dunno. Even as a new boy on Tonka's we (as a collective) related any said defects to our experience of that wonderful "stir fry" of experienece and training, without ever going near an AP on the fiche. Then we did so anyway, because we were professional people and we realised this was the epoch of new times. Now? I am not sure....I hope minds are still so enquiring.

Back