• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hernia Bar name

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I know what it does and how to operate the thing but does anybody know the proper technical offical name for the good old hernia bar?

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Not sure either, however there is now a version for sale that is made by a proper tool manufacturer (not just summat bolted together by workshops).

Not sure what they call it?

HTB

Finch lever set. No idea of an NSN at the moment, maybe someone bored in tool stores can look in the bottom drawer and see if it's on the box?

P

pie sandwich

Soo has beaten me to it, I have been trying all day to remember what it was called, But if I remember correctly we also referred to the drop tank support tool thingy as a hernia bar.

B

Bungala_The_Third

Not sure about the old manufactured ones which were good but I know that the new ones are made by company caled Turnex and they actually do a very good job, better than the old one. Ill try and get nsn

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Soo has beaten me to it, I have been trying all day to remember what it was called, But if I remember correctly we also referred to the drop tank support tool thingy as a hernia bar.

I've never called the Finch lever a hernia bar, but your are right Pie, the green supports used to lift tanks onto heaps are called hernia bars.

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
There is a Hand tools IPT which should be able to look into it for you TB.

Ask me tomorrow, I've got the number on my desk!

In addition, they also produced a CD-ROM that contained all the tools they supplied (everything from screwdrivers to shovels!). Not sure where you could get a copy of it, but it was an eye opener as to what you could actually order.

HTB

G

gemarriott

we had 2 hernia bars on 23F Phantoms

One was called Bill and the other was Ben

I hope this helps

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I once witnessed 2 Navy Part 4's (Great supervision there eh?) fasten up a panel with a Hernia Bar before. Went up to them and casually asked if they fancy telling the riggers how many fasteners will need drilling out or should I.

theladf

Cynic & Conspiracy Theorist
Turnex do make them now, I also heard them referred to as grolly bars! the ones shown in Harry B Stards post (the curved one) is frequently used to extract fasteners fron exhaust components on Trents at my place!:PDT_Xtremez_19:

J

Jcpenny

I can get you the NSN and full names for both the new straight bar and curved bar tomorrow,

Teh Wal

Flight Sergeant
Thanks for the link HTB, nice one.

And JCPenny, that'll hit the spot :PDT_Xtremez_14:

I've known them as Grolly Bars too, seems to be a location type thing.

What's a "Navy Part 4"?

Back