• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hi-vis vests on the ASP

Goatherdingsplitter

Rebel without a clue
Hi viz vests would have saved the lives of 2 very close friends of mine within the space of a few weeks in 1984. Both killed at night on has sites with no hi vis clothing available. Their deaths started the push towards reflective clothing on the squadrons.

Sorry to hear you lost two friends, was this at Coningsby by any chance as I seem to remember a couple of lads from the OCU killed/injured, this was after the pans & perry tracks had been toned down, so even less contrast. There was a local order to attach hi-vis strips to cold/wet gear and overalls, I remember.

Last edited:
N

Noodle

I had a boss who used to chase after anyone who didn't wear a hi vis, I used to forget mine on purpose.

Sorry if anyone is offended due to the post above, but I only did it during the day, and always had a "proper" rigger with me and if anyone missed him, they really needed glasses

G

gemarriott

Sorry to hear you lost two friends, was this at Coningsby by any chance as I seem to remember a couple of lads from the OCU killed/injured, this was after the pans & perry tacks had been toned down, so even less contrast. There was a local order to attach hi-vis strips to cold/wet gear and overalls, I remember.

Yes it was a lad called Gerry Napper who got killed at Coningsby I was on the same shift. The lad with him got a bang on the bonce and spent a few days in Pilgrim Hospital. The other was at Wildenrath and was a plumber called Davy Brunt, the most decent man I ever met in the mob.

Believe it or not we got armbands from the fcuking tufty club at the village school for our denims. Of course bands for 5 year olds arm were perfect for us hairy arsed linies:PDT_Xtremez_32:

C

Chuffybum

Yes it was a lad called Gerry Napper who got killed at Coningsby I was on the same shift. The lad with him got a bang on the bonce and spent a few days in Pilgrim Hospital. The other was at Wildenrath and was a plumber called Davy Brunt, the most decent man I ever met in the mob.

Believe it or not we got armbands from the fcuking tufty club at the village school for our denims. Of course bands for 5 year olds arm were perfect for us hairy arsed linies:PDT_Xtremez_32:

Im sure I used to play hockey with him at Big C in the early 70s - a really nice guy if I remember correctly.

Stingray

Sergeant
I actually run over a young girly who was on guard at High Wycombe many many moons ago. She was walking with her guardy mate in the middle of the road that had no street lighting. As I come around the blind bend at less that 15 mph I see a mass roll over my bonnet with a large thud! Got out to have her guardy mate attempt to attack me whilst she is sat in the road p!$$ing herself with laughter......good job I worked with her......but proves a point that
A. there was no street lighting.
B. No Hi-viz vests given to patrols and.....
C. DONT WALK IN THE MIDDLE OF A ROAD !! Its DANGEROUS!!

girly was fine and bought her box of choccies and flowers next day (even though wasnt my fault I couldnt see her in pitch darkness when she was wearing DPM) and she treated me to many beers as a thank-you later on in the week!
sorry slightly off topic as it was on a road on camp not the ASP but there..

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
There was a local order to attach hi-vis strips to cold/wet gear and overalls, I remember.

We have a local order. It's called the caking rule. If you go on the pan without a hi vis vest on you are then deemed guilty of a "vest crime" and therefore have to get the cakes in for the shift. If you don't provide an adequate amount of good quality cakeage you will be caked again! Just don't tell OC Eng cos he banned us from caking people...............:PDT_Xtremez_28:

E

Edzar

If the scuffers are patrolling ASP's/HAS sites with the Leckies best friend, why don't they stick to the perimeter ie on the grass? Especially with people working on the pans, cos they tend to avoid the grass in case their wagon disappears into a rabbit warren. Like they used to in Laarparts!!

If they stuck to the grass around the edges of the pans, they'd both avoid vehicular movement and also the glare from most of the pan lighting, therefore remaining inconspicuous. If they needed to react to something the dog would get there long before he would anyways.

I also remember from my Bucc days around '87 there were a few night time incidents on 208's site. One involving a landrover and a CO2 bottle, the other involving a fairy Cpl who got a few dents on his sweed but luckily he survived. We got new hi-viz thingys shortly after, just in time for my tour to muddy fields in Germany on wokkas:PDT_Xtremez_35:

Last edited:
D

Defender of the universe

When you think about it the idea of a dog handler wearing a high vis can mean they are a prime target.

The terrorists dont realise that the dog outranks the handler and most terrorists wouldnt think that if they shot the handler the dog will get em.

No they should not be walking on the ASP they should stick to patroling the edges of the perimeter as they are supposed to.

C

Clown

Recently whilst on nights, driving through some thick Wiltshire fog on the ASP, I had to brake sharply to avoid an RAFP dog handler, who DPM clad, was patrolling the airfield. Nothing occured from the incident apart from a few choice phrases uttered, as I was driving at a safe speed. My worry is that someone less vigilant or driving faster may have had a very different outcome. Are there any iron clad rules to the wearing of high visibility vests/jackets or belts? All input appreciated. Atb techoz.

Better still, let's try to discourage our Security forces from patrolling airfields in such a covert manner altogether. By encouraging the use of giant Maglites and white light we can all rest assured that the airfield's perimeter will not be breached by any unscrupulous characters, instead directing their attention in favour of an unlocked hospital ward.

F

FairyGoodGuy

Recently whilst on nights, driving through some thick Wiltshire fog on the ASP, I had to brake sharply to avoid an RAFP dog handler, who DPM clad, was patrolling the airfield.

I would have kept going, one less scuffer around:PDT_Xtremez_31: :PDT_Xtremez_31:

I think wearing Hi-Vis is a good idea, Techies have to wear them 24-7 when on the pan why not the scuffers........ and the dog...

D

dixie05uk

Drunks on the pan

Drunks on the pan

Forget about dog handlers having Hi-Viz Jackets. The other night we had a Drunk Para wandering around the pan's at Brize. He wasn't wearing a Hi-Viz jacket. When challenged about where he was he informed us he wasn't on the airfield and we where pulling his leg. We asked for the coppers to come and get him. 20 minutes later they turned up. There were also not wearing Hi-Viz jackets. Shocking really. What is the world coming too.

S

sheddweller

"...we dint have hi-viz when I was a scroat...."

"...we dint have hi-viz when I was a scroat...."

We once had our Wobbly tell us that, as hi-viz vest were uncomfortable in the summer heat and attracted "thunder bugs", we didn't have to wear them on the pan - I opted to keep mine on on the grounds that its better to attract flies and bugs and repel aircraft and vehicles!
And no amount of sunshine is as uncomfortable as getting sucked down an intake!
What a plank!

Back