• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hot Stuff

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
I think that could be the problem the pre done bit seemed a little more sparse than normal. Does t make that much difference? Surely a physical contact is better.

:PDT_Xtremez_34:

I know you probably have got this by now but OH MY GOD!!ONE!!11!!ELEVEN!!1

I am amazed it has not gone pop to be honest.

I have seen one done with too much paste too, all over the bloody place and had shorted out the CPU.

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
slightly different tack, did you buy a retail box CPU(ie intel box with specific heatsink and fan with it) or was it CPU of tinterweb + fan that is recommended. Although the stock (retail box ones) CPU coolers are not the best they are designed for the job and come with a heat transfer paste already applied.

Make sure you use heat paste like This one

As for your CPU This is the SPEC In other words 85 degrees is way too hot.

If you haven't got a retail box then This should conform

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
My tower PC is about 3inches away from a heating pipe under the floor, so I fitted a couple of extra blowers to various holes in the case.

Suggestions:-

1 fit a new (larger) heatsink & fan to the CPU (bigger the better).
2 Fit external fan/s to the case (or one that fits in a slot [maplin]).
3 Clean out the fan in the PSU. (Vacuum cleaner)
4 Fit another fan to the front of the case blowing IN.

I'd also suggest a Peltier heat pump but that might be going too far.

Last edited:

BillyBunter

Techie & Proud
When i upgraded to dual core i had to get a new tower, its got a cooling duct that takes air directly from outside rather than using air withing the tower, I have at least 3 fans fitted but I like many now have many things running, i made same mistake many moons backed and cooked my processer (expensive repair) The fans they use now are top notch but running with side panels off and as many fans as possible is a good thing anyway.

Good luck and let us know if you get it cured

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Finally found the time to get back to the rebuild.

That paste should go on to everything!!!!
There'd be no need for fridges if it causes that much drop.

85 deg C then

Now 21-23 Deg C

Many thanks for your help and cowboy jibes :PDT_Xtremez_30::PDT_Xtremez_30::PDT_Xtremez_30:

NFTR

SAC
Nice one, thermal paste is good, but not that good to shave 50 odd degrees off your temps. Looks like your HSF wasn't mounted properly in the first place, but looks good now.

Glad you got it sorted. :)

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
One last thought.
The advert says " . . and reference fan".
That's the spec they use in the Lab. It does not mean it works to that spec in a particular case!

Back