• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How do you employ your AMMs

How do you employ your AMMs

• Total voters

HPLO

LAC
Hi I'm back. Just thought I would ask this question, and it is a serious one, about how your nice shiney AMMs are used when you get them. This may seem a bit daft but I'm just doing a bit of research for a mate who doesn't want to give his identity for fear of reprisals from the throbbers he/she works with. Are they used as lineys? Do they do mostly trade? Are they neglected? Are they just dogsbodys? Are they let near LITS?

Please be honest.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Hi I'm back. Just thought I would ask this question, and it is a serious one, about how your nice shiney AMMs are used when you get them. This may seem a bit daft but I'm just doing a bit of research for a mate who doesn't want to give his identity for fear of reprisals from the throbbers he/she works with. Are they used as lineys? Do they do mostly trade? Are they neglected? Are they just dogsbodys? Are they let near LITS?

Please be honest.

Our AMMs do the line, T-Bar and work in the supply office (ordering spares!). They don't do LITS, but help out on their respective trades when there's no flying. Some of our AMMs also did towing (the good ones!). Our manpower is so thin our AMMs help out on trade whenever possible, although they are not "Q's" per say, they are a useful set of extra hands (much like the Plumbers taking nozzles off haha).

Mighty_Wokka

Corporal

Please be honest.

For the most part - like all of us who came through as SAC's they are Lineys. Yes they may get the odd bit of trade when the cabs are down (more likely on ops in Herrick). When you are short of manpower its daft to put experienced trades on the line when you have AMM's - they should know this. What I can't get over is their moaning if they have to do more than two AF/BFs per shift ffs! If however they show some interest (dare I say keen) then then they may end up over in pulse where they'll be doing trade all day. In my eyes they are there as lineys, get some experience, the odd bit of trade and an afghan tour before they return the cosford. There's plenty of time for the tradework after that.

Last edited:

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
Lineying, Tool stores, bit of general dogsbodying (Like everyone has to do when they first join up) Trade assistance where we can and SVC.

I must say, the vast majority of the AMMs I have seen at my place seem well up for getting stuck in, and although they are rotated round the trade desks to get a bit of experience in each trade, They are perfectly willing to come off the Fairy desk if they are a bit slack and do a Rigger servicing with absolutely no moaning. Maybe we just have got some good ones?

Mighty_Wokka

Corporal
I must say, the vast majority of the AMMs I have seen at my place seem well up for getting stuck in, and although they are rotated round the trade desks to get a bit of experience in each trade, They are perfectly willing to come off the Fairy desk if they are a bit slack and do a Rigger servicing with absolutely no moaning. Maybe we just have got some good ones?
yeah I must admit the first batch through were good lads but we have a few rotten apples that have turned up now. I think we would struggle if the AMM's didnt make up 99% of the line, however rotating them round the desks (maybe one or two at a time seems fair)

I have to wonder what the end product will be like, from what I hear the lads going through their 'fitters course' at cosford have no idea when they are leaving plus the course has not been fully written/approved yet they are half way through it.

Last edited:
These AMM's of which you speak what the devil are they????

I've never seen one, apparently they aren't being posted onto the soon to be defunct F3, Which is a shame as we could do with some man power. :PDT_Xtremez_21:

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
Being a producer of AMMs I can't possibly comment on their employment. As for getting any on the air display variant, it ain't going to happen whilst my bottom points south (or so I am lead to believe). Just to enlighten you they could well be likend to the FLMs of old.

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Just to enlighten you they could well be likend to the FLMs of old.

Oh come on be serious.....The FLM's of old would rather headbut/punch you than talk to you....eventually when you got to know them you were allowed to be in the same room without being set on fire...lots !!

This lot of AMM's (from what i've seen) are too "homely".......most trying to get home every weekend even if it does mean travelling the whole length of the UK to see their "mates".......for me as soon as that happens they are in the wrong job...end of.

Crack on........................:PDT_Xtremez_09:

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
Tashy

I'll reword my description then just for you. Imagine, if you can, a FLM of old who has been brainwashed by the PC brigade and mollycoddled since birth who is struggling to escape the apron strings and lives for the latest playstation/xbox release. Are we almost there?

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Tashy

I'll reword my description then just for you.

No, please don't do it for me....i was never a FLM but only just !!.....if you want to undermine all FLM's that have passed through the RAF by calling them AMM's then on your head be it.

Crack on..................:PDT_Xtremez_09:

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
The best I can say about our little darlings is that we can only work with what we have been given. It's not my fault that they seem to do the same job as FLMs before them. You never know we may soon see single trade mechs, possibly even appos (please god no!!!!), maybe DEs or possibly eventually Mech (mechs)/Mech (techs). Who knows as the wheel seems to be getting reinvented at an alarming rate at the moment.

15 DAYS IS NOT ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!

W

Wonky Tonka

Don't have any in my place (2nd Line Off-A/C)

Am I right in thinking that they wouldn't be posted to such a place until completion of FT?

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
Don't have any in my place (2nd Line Off-A/C)

Am I right in thinking that they wouldn't be posted to such a place until completion of FT?
Wonky

You would be right in thinking just that. The primary role of the AMM, after warfighter obviously, is your common everyday liney. They may be lucky (?) enough to go 2nd line after their FT course as they will allegedly hold a trade, be it sooty/rigger(Heavy) or DF/fairy(Light).

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
So they can't undersign any trade related tasks ?

Perhaps I need to get my head in the JAP.....

I thought they could but they had to have 100% supervision.

Crack on................:PDT_Xtremez_09:

Last edited by a moderator:

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
I thought they could but they had to have 100% supervision.

Crack on................:PDT_Xtremez_09:
They don't actually have a trade till they've done their FT course (personally I think the "Maintenance" in AMM is a bit of a Red Herring); all they get in initial trade training is basically show and tell (an awareness, and precious little of that) of "bits" of the aircraft trade sets, which is why you will never see an AMM who is Q-Ops. The only thing they are really tested on is Line Training but as Fat Lazy Techie keeps reminding us that has just been diluted to **** - but then again as long as the little darlings know who/how to report harassment when someone gives them an order or a bollocking we'll be just fine......................................

Last edited:

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
ERRRRRRM in a word

NO!!!!

They can only sign for trade assist

Incorrect.

They can, as Tashy says, sign any task (obviously taking into account restrictions on their auths and 'J' code stuff) but only with 100% supervision.

Trade assistance manhours should be claimed by the supervisor so if they were 'trade assist' their name would not be on the jobcard anyway.

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I am sure on TMT they told us AMMs could undersign tasks across all 4 trades. Obviously with supervision and they are unable to sign Y codes etc etc.

Back