• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I am thinking of applying to rejoin the RAF.

M

MooA

Thanks to all who have given me some good answers about re-joining I really do appreciate your help.

Best Regards

MooA

Last edited:

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
How long do you have left in at the moment? Take a look at the remustering process first if you can because it will be quicker and easier for you. If that is not an option for whatever reason then you will effectively be in more or less the same position as anyone else looking to join up.

By all means go to see the AFCO - it never hurts to do so - but at this stage all they will be able to do is refer you to the careers information line (the phone number for which is on the careers website). If the trade you wish to rejoin in is open you will be sent all the application forms and other literature and referred back to the AFCO for them to begin processing your application. Once you return those forms they will apply to ACOS Manning for permission to proceed with your application - they will be the final arbiters of whether you can rejoin and what length of service you will be offered.

M

MooA

I've got less than six months to do so not enough time to get it all sorted, plus I'm not sure I want to do any other trade.

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
I've got less than six months to do so not enough time to get it all sorted, plus I'm not sure I want to do any other trade.

What trade are you? If you're not being signed on due to your trade being overmanned then it is unlikely we will be recruiting for the next year or so, therefore if you are not interested in other trades I'm afraid you're snookered.

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
why are you leaving?

Let me get this right.

You are leaving a trade thats overmanned, you can't get signed on and you want to do the same job by re-joining.

Can't see it happening.

edited as I decided to be nice

Last edited:

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
You are effectively being made redundandant at no cost to the RAF. Are you really sure you want to rejoin an organisation that thinks so little of it's personnel?

I would concentrate my efforts on finding a job on the outside for the next couple of years then if you really want to rejoin you'll have a much better chance.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

skevans

Flight Sergeant
You have joined the RAF and served nine years reaching the rank of SAC is that a fair summary? Well I'm sorry to tell you that plain and simply you are not Cpl material so you have no choice but to move on.

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
You have joined the RAF and served nine years reaching the rank of SAC is that a fair summary? Well I'm sorry to tell you that plain and simply you are not Cpl material so you have no choice but to move on.

That's a bit of a stupid thing to say! Promotion is a lottery and rank is no indicator of ability.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
That's a bit of a stupid thing to say! Promotion is a lottery and rank is no indicator of ability.

I wouldnt say "stupid". "Harsh" maybe.

The vast majority of people who get promoted are thoroughly deserving. Similarly, the vast majority of those who do not get promoted are legends in their own mirror, and find themselves out of a job when their contract's up.

If the OP is as good as he says he is, then he'll have no problem finding a well-paid job away from the comfort-blanket of the RAF.

G

gemarriott

The vast majority of people who get promoted are thoroughly deserving. Similarly, the vast majority of those who do not get promoted are legends in their own mirror, and find themselves out of a job when their contract's up.

If the OP is as good as he says he is, then he'll have no problem finding a well-paid job away from the comfort-blanket of the RAF.

That's about the most inaccurate statement I've ever seen on the goat. Jobs are not easy to find no matter how well qualified and experienced you are and that situation is worsening by the hour. We are in a double dip recession and luck in being in the right place at the right time is the only way forward. Good jobs just don't grow on trees.

Shugster

Warrant Officer
To summarise the last few posts...

There is a lot of luck involved in promotion, not least budget cuts and the current World situation and there are just as many stars as there are fcukwits who get promoted.
Jobs don't grow on trees, but even in a recession it's not impossible to get one with the right attitude even if you have to start on a lower wage at first. As long as you're willing to move to area where prospects are better you should be OK.

You are leaving the the RAF even though you don't want to, you might land a great job and never look back. Do you really love your trade so much that nothing else will do? Find out which trades are open and see if any of those tickle your fancy, and use this time to get as much out of the system as you can. You will be on civvystraße in less than six months so start planning now and stash some money to one side so you can pay your bills for six months without a job if things get tight.

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve

Now that was harsh.

I just thought it was 'stupid' to come out with an insulting attack on the OP without knowing the full facts regarding his trade, location, environment, promotion recommendations etc.

If, for instance the OP was TG1, didn't do his NQV to move up to SAC(T), was incompetent or an admin burden then fair enough.

On the other hand, if the OP was good at his job, was a high achiever, competitive for promotion but was let down by his reporting chain in his SJARS or the government in forcing the RAF to reduce numbers for the lowest cost, he deserves some sympathy.

The OP posed a serious question about rejoining and deserves serious answers in response!

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Personally I would reconsider very very carefully, depending on what trade you are.

If you are an engineering trade, and have decent quals and motivation, there are a lot of opportunities out here.

I left in 2009 as an SAC(T) and I'm now earning the same as a level 7 Sergeant.

However, if the RAF is your life and you love it, I can see why you're desperate to stay in, I think the 'if you haven't been promoted by 9 years you're crap' comments are bang out of order personally.

Have you spoken to anyone in your CofC about this?

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Now that was harsh.

I have no idea how good or not the OP is - I can only take his word that he is very good at it. Unfortunately, his employers dont feel the same way, and therefore he must leave. Having left it to the last 6 months to ask these questions, and not having explored the remustering options (quite a few TG1 SAC(T)s from JFH started the remustering process the day after the announcement of the scrapping of GR9s as they were smart enough to see what was coming), then its a fait accompli.

If he's as good as he says he is, he'll get a job outside and I wish him well.

M

MooA

Now that was harsh.

I just thought it was 'stupid' to come out with an insulting attack on the OP without knowing the full facts regarding his trade, location, environment, promotion recommendations etc.

If, for instance the OP was TG1, didn't do his NQV to move up to SAC(T), was incompetent or an admin burden then fair enough.

On the other hand, if the OP was good at his job, was a high achiever, competitive for promotion but was let down by his reporting chain in his SJARS or the government in forcing the RAF to reduce numbers for the lowest cost, he deserves some sympathy.

The OP posed a serious question about rejoining and deserves serious answers in response!

I have been used to members of e-goat going completely off topic so thank you very much for getting back to exactly what I asked!
My trade, length of service, rank etc are irrelevant re-joining is one of the many options I have. Since I can't just up and go to the AFCO immediately this second I ask here.

M

MooA

And thank you Monty. As I choose not to (or don't need to) reveal any info I just ask if anyone knows the process for rejoining, thanks very much to all who have given me some direction.

br9mp81

Corporal

skevans,
given the trade your in,i'm a bit surprised to see your comments.