• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is This how it Still Works?

rocket scientist

Sergeant
Something I'd like to expand on is the exercises/training element and the ever present shortage of cash - we currently have plenty of missiles to fire but no money for targets so whilst simulators and non operational flying can make up quite a bit of the training, when it comes to being combat ready, we've got a bit of a problem.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
I don't know where he conjured his manpower numbers up from but in my experience they are massively over guestimated. On the worlds first operational Tornado sqn we were at 100% manning with about 120 maintenance bods with one shiney for engineering; since then the overall RAF manpower has reduced dramatically.

Off Topic I wish people would learn the difference between loose and lose.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
This is why we have a Force HQ and move away from Station centric type Ops. However, the crew currency issues are more valid than ever.

I don't think we'd invent a Squadron now as a good and safe way to conclude a mission. Great for the Telly, but a larger force is way more flexible.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
We flew for currency more than anything else for a few years then some ops came along and your currency was then threatened by serviceability/lack of spares.