• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Laptop help please!!

• Thread starter Thread starter mumof4
  • Start date Start date
M

mumof4

Ive been trying to take my daughters laptop apart to remove the bios?cmos?battery to reset the bios as it is password locked..long running problem that acer want me to pay them nearly 200 quid to fix.

Anyone here any good at fixing laptops?as ive got a bit stuck.

All started when i got this error message..

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

\windows\system32\config\system

you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original cd rom

i dont have the original cds as she snapped them all in temper when it wouldnt work.

now im not very pc literate and i have been trying for months to get this fixed by useing back door passwords to unlock the bios.Then it was suggested i remove the CMOS battery for 30 mins to reset the bios

i desperately need help!!..as i am now way out of my depth with a laptop in pieces and cant see the battery to remove.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
When you got the error message had you recently changed anything? Installed new software or hardware?

I can't see that changing the CMOS battery will do much good. All the battery does is remember the settings from the computers BIOS until you switch it back on again. If a file is corrupted/missing then I think that the recovery CD is the way to go.

Even if you reset the system to remove the BIOS password, you will still have the corrupted system file. You need the recovery CDs alas!

Incidentally heres a pic of a typical CMOS battery if your struggling....

Last edited:
M

mumof4

The only thing that happened to it was that she threw it against the wall.Its not used for internet only games.cant do restore anything i tried it all came back to that message.wont start in safe mode.And i cant afford the 80 quid plus postage for the set up discs..not can i afford to send it Acer.

W

wgaf

Let her finish the job on it and claim on your house insurance.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Im afraid to say I think its kaput. Your only chance is if you can beg/borrow/steal a windows or acer recovery disk from a friend. Im afraid laptops just don't like being thrown against walls!!:PDT_Xtremez_40:

M

mumof4

Having just moved here i dont know anyone that might have one..plus..its in that many bits now i cant remember how it all goes back together..now where all the hundreds of screws go!

P

pie sandwich

You could always just leave it and inform your darling child that since she fooked it she can do without a computer, and if she wants one tell her to get a saturday day job and save up to fix it or buy a new one

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
I agree with previous comments that is a windows problem(corrupted file) not a bios problem, check what the file is again and i could email it to you if necessary. oh does the laptop have a floppy drive?

MingMong

Warrant Officer
Do you have the registration code for your copy of windows?
It is often on a sticker on the underside of the computer.
If you have that then you may be able to just reinstal windows over the top of the old instalation to repair it.

M

mumof4

Umm..No floppy drive..The error message is all i get.

Sorry fomz..aint gonna claim on the house insurance.I know thats whayt its there for, Anything technical i try and fix myself.

Sounds defo like a corrupt file in the operating system, U will defo need a restore of the operating sytem. Working in I.T i see this all the time on the RAF Computers and we have to re-install windows. Hope that helps. PS. can you not just buy a new copy of the recovery disk??

rugby then work

Cider Drinker
Is it's booting up far enough to allow you to attempt to repair the operating system from recovery console? If it is you don't actually need the origional disk, a copy of the operating system your using should do the job. What you using XP home?

It's very unlikely that it's a bios problem if your getting far enough to be told there's a file missing.

M

mumof4

xp home yes..switch on and the only thing that appears is that error.Will cost me 80 quid to get the set up disks from Acer.I dont have that.

rugby then work

Cider Drinker
I can send you a copy of XP home, if you boot from the cd and run the recovery console you may be able to repair the Operating system. Doesn't always work but worth a go. PM me if you want me to send it.

T

Tom S

Having just moved here i dont know anyone that might have one..plus..its in that many bits now i cant remember how it all goes back together..now where all the hundreds of screws go!

I have most of the ACER repair manuals on PDF, what model is it?

I could mail a copy.

Back