• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LapTop Purchase

GunnerP

SAC
Worth going to PC world and asking what deals they have. I spent £399 on my laptop a while ago, and got a printer, laptop case and wireless router thrown in. I sold the extras on ebay and got £90.

Lev

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Just to save starting a new thread gonna ask a bit of advice....

I'm now looking for a laptop.....have found THIS one but can any of the "informed" see any probs with it ?

Gonna be used while away on board ship so looks good enough for me to be playing the occasional game etc.

Let me know or if anyone has any "up to date" suggestions.....crack on (as someone always says....)

:PDT_Xtremez_09:

Last edited:

Studley dangerfcuk

Flight Sergeant
Tashy, your paying about 200 quid for having a 17" screen. Get a 15.4" with same specs as I have and it will be about 400 quid.

Up to you matey.

Studley :PDT_Xtremez_28:

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
An Acer Aspire 2 Gb Dual Core, 160GB HDD, DVD/RW etc, etc. Got mine from Asda £399. Only difference is its got 15.4" screen.
They got them in the store and they sold out in the space of 2 hrs. The specs of this one on the Asda site dont match it should have been more expensive.

Best tip I can give you is go on http://shopping.moneysupermarket.com/s/27/compare-Laptop-Computer-prices and look for yourself.

Cheers Studley

Cheers for that SD...clear as mud....

From what i've read about the Acer Aspires have crap "on board" graphics which was why i was looking for a laptop with a dedicated graphics card.

If i could find the exact spec but with a 15.4" screen for £200 quid less i would go for it but i can't find one (2.2 dual core, 2 gb ram, 256 graphics card, etc) The fact that it is 17" will mean it's heavier for me to lug around but not that bad.

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Tashy, check this out. Not a 2 gb processor but would do for gaming.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/339848#productInformationSection

Studley :PDT_Xtremez_28:

It's a reasonable spec but it's the "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator" that put me off.

I have never bought a Laptop before and this is what is making me more nervouse than ever...i know with my desktop i can upgrade if needed but not quite the same with a laptop so if i buy it has to last a good 2-3 years without upgrades (obviously you can do ram etc)

Crack on....................:PDT_Xtremez_09:

Soupdragon

Piermaster
evening Tashy... HNY and all that jazz...

dunno if this site will be of any use to you...

ebuyer

ive bought from them a few times and never had any probs. Top service

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
evening Tashy... HNY and all that jazz...

dunno if this site will be of any use to you...

ebuyer

ive bought from them a few times and never had any probs. Top service

The site is a good one (and i normally recommend it) but for this spec of Laptop it can't compete.

I will end up going with my original one at this rate.......oh well, thought i'd ask...

Crack on.................:PDT_Xtremez_09:

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
The site is a good one (and i normally recommend it) but for this spec of Laptop it can't compete.

I will end up going with my original one at this rate.......oh well, thought i'd ask...

Crack on.................:PDT_Xtremez_09:

Tashy, got a similar spec one in 15.4" the Graphics card NVidia 8600MGS will more than do the job, it sounds almost identical to mine bar larger screen. The T7500 Processor is pretty hefty too, mine has the T7300 and that chews through processing quite happily. You will pay more for one with a decent graphics card in it(ie separate graphics memory as well) but personally it;s worth it.

Last edited:

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Think long and hard, a laptop is not just for Christmas its for a couple of years.

Like you said a desktop can be upgraded and upgraded until the new bits don't fit your motherboard any more or other compatibility issues come in to play.

Whilst with a laptop the best you can normally do is add a bit more memory and plug a few things in to help out.

If you can afford it and it is the one you want, and you cannot find it anywhere else cheaper then go ahead, treat yourself.

Here's a link to a rather nice Laptop for gamers, just found it:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/01/02/review_rock_x770/

Last edited:
Back