• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Line training, JP "Q" course or important training?

Line training, JP "Q" course or important training?

• It's a valuable part of all aircraft techs/AMMs training.

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • Just a JP Q course and utterly pointless.

Votes: 6 14.3%

• Total voters
P

pie sandwich

Well you know what these old feckers are like, cant keep up with the youf of today :PDT_Xtremez_14:

BillyBunter

Techie & Proud
Well i think the LTF part of Tossford is a great intro for the new mechs , i mind at Halton doing mine the like 5 months of classroom and all that crap ,then the last month at the Airfield working on live jets, thats your intro into what the RAF is about.
Its a great training aid i guess and not much can go wrong, if you walk behind a JP you not gonna get too blown over , and the intakes dont really suck much hehehe
As for the Cosford lot saying its just a JP Q Course, they just all bitter ****s there anyway , spending there entire life in an easy training post with fear of coming into the real air force, what the hell would they know about working in the modern air force

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
There's no greater way to keep trainees motivated and focused than letting them loose on "live" kit (or as close as you can make it without carnage).

If we go completely over to the classroom/simulator stuff, watch the percentage of trainees leaving the service before they graduate rocket.

We all joined up to work on and around aircraft, so actually getting to work on "live" jets during training is actually quite exciting, if a little be scary at first!

Well thats my take on it anyway.

A

Almost_done

T26!!

T26!!

T26,

Was where it all jelled, the time prior to the airfeild phase was the build up.

How many people passed all the theory but ended up recoursed on T26 and that stood true for guys on their fitter cse as well on the (proper) Mechanics Cse.

I'll never forget the marshalling the instructor on the (Red Gnat) bike before we were let loose with the JP's:PDT_Xtremez_30: those were the days. Then marshalling a Tomb for the 1st time and your mind going bloody hell................with the crew briefed to follow every command to the letter as your a FNG!!!!!!

Damn those FLEMs...ah the good days:PDT_Xtremez_28:

Captain Slog

Trekkie Nerd
Subscriber
Going to show my age now, I did my Mech’s Course at Saints in 1969. I can’t remember what the name of the phase was, it might have been Airfields, but I do remember my marshalling training consisted of an Instructor holding my arms while I waved the bats at a Vampire jet and guided it around a corner.

The next aircraft I marshalled was a Vulcan, trust me when I say that was definitely a “half crown - sixpence” occurrence of the old sphincter muscle!

Oh and FLT, despite our rivalry between 238 and The Dark Side, I fully agree with you that your Line Training is an essential part of the trade training cycle. You would not train a pilot by classroom work only FFS, although I did meet a couple in my time who I thought had been off sick when their actual flying training was carried out!

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
Thank's for your support in our fight against the oppressors and blinkered management that dwell over on the sunny side.

Would it supprise you if I said one has something to do with the Nimrod MRA4 project? I bet you can't guess which one? Hu, you may have a good idea.

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
Thank's for your support in our fight against the oppressors and blinkered management that dwell over on the sunny side.

Would it supprise you if I said one has something to do with the Nimrod MRA4 project? I bet you can't guess which one? Hu, you may have a good idea.
You're absolutely correct FLT - I haven't got a clue who you're talking about:PDT_Xtremez_15:

And I'm saying fook all else on the subject or I'll be accused of deliberately letting the parking brake off them there Jags next time I'm doing a ground Run and accidentally have to take it for a drive past 238 line and come back up the Main Runway:PDT_Xtremez_42:

Last edited:
G

gemarriott

Going to show my age now, I did my Mech’s Course at Saints in 1969. I can’t remember what the name of the phase was, it might have been Airfields, but I do remember my marshalling training consisted of an Instructor holding my arms while I waved the bats at a Vampire jet and guided it around a corner.

The next aircraft I marshalled was a Vulcan, trust me when I say that was definitely a “half crown - sixpence” occurrence of the old sphincter muscle!

Oh and FLT, despite our rivalry between 238 and The Dark Side, I fully agree with you that your Line Training is an essential part of the trade training cycle. You would not train a pilot by classroom work only FFS, although I did meet a couple in my time who I thought had been off sick when their actual flying training was carried out!

I remember doing that at Saints too. My intro duction to martialling was a Heron followed by a couple of hours clambering over a heinke, stuka and a me 262 in the old museum there. Yes it was called airfields.

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
You're absolutely correct FLT - I haven't got a clue who you're talking about:PDT_Xtremez_15:

And I'm saying fook all else on the subject or I'll be accused of deliberately letting the parking brake off them there Jags next time I'm doing a ground Run and accidentally have to take it for a drive past 238 line and come back up the Main Runway:PDT_Xtremez_42:
I bet you can't get OC UBAS to complain about your taxying speed like one of our "Taxi pilots" did. I think the fact he was passing grobs down the inside may have something to do with it. Mind you I have to ask one question. Who does the airfield belong to, the RAF or UBAS?

p.s. When us minions get our wings I'll give you a race from dispersal 2 to 3, two laps of 3 and then back to 2 again.:PDT_Xtremez_28:

D

DE Scumbag

Gnat Line for me. Was scary and exciting and fun, definately not a Q course which has none of those characteristics. They taught us about the aircraft documentation, which of course was just being changed. Didn't have a clue when I went to my first Sqn, but then I was a DE!

(Some would say I didn't have clue when I left my last Sqn either, but that would be unkind.)

BTW I had a useless **** work for me once who went to "instruct" at LTF at Tossford. Wonder how he got on!

TrenchardsLoveSock

Flight Sergeant
Gnats @ Halton for me. An absolutely essential part of training for all aircraft trades. As many others have said, it was a good laugh too.

Funny thing is, I can remember pretty much every instructor I had for the theory stuff, but not much of the course content. For airfields I can't remember the instructors, but the subject material has stuck for years.

I also remember the day we discovered someone on the previous course has taken a dump in the Swarfega (the blue stuff with the grit in it). It was about 4 weeks before we got far enough down the tin to find it:PDT_Xtremez_34:

Back