• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Med centres, caring for your family?

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
Just tried to register Mrs Techie at the med centre at my current location and been told no. The reason given is that our quarter is about 8 miles from camp. Now pardon me for mentioning the fact our job drags us, and our families, to the four corners of the UK. Surely it isn't too much to ask to be able to register at the med centre? especially when you are allocated a quarter this far away. Nothing like looking after the families of those serving.:pDT_Xtremez_09:

I may have to enquire as to weather I can register with a civilian doctors then. Who knows I may be able to get an appointment when I need one and not have to pre-empt any illness. Not only that I may be able to get more than Ibrufen and tubi-grip.

U

UnknownLiney

To be honest, I would see it as a blessing in disguise. After all you don't have to put up with the medical staff and thier sometimes ably demonstrated lack of intelligence.

After some of the things I have seen I think I would prefer to see a civilian doctor, at least that way I would not have to explian to the medics that so and so cannot walk to the ambulance because he has just fallen off an aircraft wing and shattered his ankle.

Of course it would also be easier to see a doctor in an emrgancy as well, unlike here at Lyneham where for a little while they had implimented the worlds most stupid policy which went like so:

"If you require immediate medical assistance out of hours then please make an appointment for the next working day, or if you require an Ambulance dial 999 and call one, then call RAF police and tell them an Ambulance is comming before walking to the gate to meet it".

Or it was some such bollox as that, in short medical aid was avialable Mon - Thurs 09:00-16:00 and friday 09:00-12:00 All other times you had to wait.

real useful....

Major Geek

Sergeant
I would definately register my wife and kids with a civvie doctor. The only good thing for us about the med centre is we now get referred to local hospitals now that all the service ones have closed.

freudian slip

Corporal
when you see the list of military medical blunders you would want to register yourself with a civvy doctor. At least they take the right kidney out.:pDT_Xtremez_03:

sumps

Sergeant
...the right kidney...oh I thought it was the left?! :pDT_Xtremez_34:

Where is the coat rack? - any one will do!

D

dolphinops

Dare I say the words..................Have you got a Dentist!!!!
Runs for cover:pDT_Xtremez_28:

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

Off Topic When Miss Teacher became Mrs BEngO I was at Brize and once we returned from Honeymoon and we had Pickford's 40 ton truck drop off a full load of her shoes in our spanking new MQ (until then she had lived with her folks up north, me in the Mess ala 1950s stylee), she was able to register at the David Stone Medical Centre.

back on topic...

Although she is quite a healthy lass, the new Mrs BEngO had several causes to visit the Med Centre over the year or so that we remained at Brize and was very glad to have registered there.

How many NHS GP surgeries do you know where you can call at 8 am and have the pick of 5 or 6 appointment slots for the same day?

I'm all for registering families at the Med Centre. Mrs BEngO had to register elesewhere at Wyton and now has to book routine appointments weeks in advance. I too now face the prospect of finding a place at a dentist and a doctor :pDT_Xtremez_21:

J

jpain

TheHogwartsBEngO said:
How many NHS GP surgeries do you know where you can call at 8 am and have the pick of 5 or 6 appointment slots for the same day?

I think this varies from unit to unit.

At a Scottish airbase beginning with 'L' ( such choice ) one of my 'charlie papa limas' tolerated what started as a mild ear infection for as long as possible before eventually succumbing to the pain as the infection took hold.
On phoning the med centre he was told that the next appointment available was the following week !!!! :pDT_Xtremez_09:

Last edited:
W

Wax Crayon

Caring for your faily - The Facts

Caring for your faily - The Facts

At the risk of posting a response that is in touch with reality I have the following to offer:

The RAF medical services are as stretched as every other branch/trade within the RAF. It is therefore impossible fo them to treat all servicemen plus their dependents. Selected medical centres are able to register families, these are usually the larger training practices that require the breadth of medical conditions presented by families in order to adequately train their junior doctors.

It is a shame but a mere fact of life that families cannot be registered with the majority of medical centres.

Major Geek

Sergeant
Wax Crayon said:
Selected medical centres are able to register families, these are usually the larger training practices that require the breadth of medical conditions presented by families in order to adequately train their junior doctors.

Well I'd rather my wife go and see somebody that is already fully trained and not be "practised" on.

E

enginesuck

Tell me about it there are no nhs dentist in moray that are taking on new patients,

my other half is pregnant and is due free treatment as such but we have been told there is no chance getting a dentist till 2007:pDT_Xtremez_14:

S

StellaVision

UnknownLiney said:
To be honest, I would see it as a blessing in disguise. After all you don't have to put up with the medical staff and thier sometimes ably demonstrated lack of intelligence.

After some of the things I have seen I think I would prefer to see a civilian doctor, at least that way I would not have to explian to the medics that so and so cannot walk to the ambulance because he has just fallen off an aircraft wing and shattered his ankle.

Of course it would also be easier to see a doctor in an emrgancy as well, unlike here at Lyneham where for a little while they had implimented the worlds most stupid policy which went like so:

"If you require immediate medical assistance out of hours then please make an appointment for the next working day, or if you require an Ambulance dial 999 and call one, then call RAF police and tell them an Ambulance is comming before walking to the gate to meet it".

Or it was some such bollox as that, in short medical aid was avialable Mon - Thurs 09:00-16:00 and friday 09:00-12:00 All other times you had to wait.

real useful....

Although I have not worked in a med centre in a number of years due to being one of the few State Registered Paramedics in the RAF, I feel that although the medical services are not perfect, I need to make a point.

The majority of policy and procedures that are put into place within medical centres comes from the NHS, including that of out of hours reponse to medical incidents. You do not have on-call medical staff that respond to emergencies from civilian practices, as this response would come from paramedics such as myself that work in the NHS. Also, due to the very high level of deployed commitment (mine is currently 8 months out of every 12), it is impossible to maintain a suitable on-station ambulance response to anything other than aircraft incidents.

It is easy for people to point the finger of blame at sections that are constantly in the public eye, such as med centres. But in truth, if the personnel that were from non-public sections were suddenly thrust into the public eye, how would they react, and cope?

So, please can you get the facts correct before saying that "Of course it would also be easier to see a doctor in an emrgancy as well, unlike here at Lyneham where for a little while they had implimented the worlds most stupid policy"

You receive far more than you do in the NHS, including free prescriptions, on-site physiotherapy, on-site pharmacy to mention a few. Please cut the staff some slack, and realise the reality of the situation and not have a blinkered approach. There are too many people who jump on the bandwagon without thinking

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
freudian slip said:
but still no answer to the mention of dentists.

where is the uk's nhs dentist now...last heard of in swindon

They're still in Swindon you'll be pleased to hear.

When I was posted to Cyprus 2 years back, my missus stayed registered with said Dentist and had her annual check up to remain registered when we came back on leave and saved being struck off the Practise's List.

Boarderlyne

Sergeant
Medical Services or NHS?

Medical Services or NHS?

Mrs Boarderlyne has seen both sides of the fence and she has stated adamantly that when I leave the mob, we are going private!!

I have no cause for complaint as the medics have looked after my chittering horde admirably. Got two of my kids fast-tracked when they had chronic complaints and looked after Mrs very well into the bargain.

The Medics are as overstretched as the rest of us and while getting an appointment the next day might be a bind, it's a whole lot better than waiting weeks as most of Joe Public has to do. We can bitch and moan about the loss of Sick Parades and the like but I would put money on RMCs to do their damndest to look after us all even if TG15 has its' fair share of c*cks...

Loss of 24 hr medic cover is a pain but you really want to be screaming at MT for getting people across to the local A&E when the medics have stated that they are shut. I can't remember the last time I was at a 24 hr GP's, can you? :pDT_Xtremez_19:

On stag a mere 2 months ago and one of the Ruperts needed to go to the local A&E. Nobody sober enough to drive him (the morning after the big night before!) across except for duty staff and local Doorslammers. Doorslammer Control said no but it was OK for stag to lose a bod for over 2 hrs to get the sickie across to the hospital. Doorslammer Control were being too much a jobsworth to get this guy sorted out. Now that's got to be material for the Gripe$ My $h1t thread! :pDT_Xtremez_31:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I, until this April, was using a practice in South Wales where my family was located...Unless you said it was an emergency you had to wait 3-5 days to see someone...Then when you got an appointment and duly turned up 5 mins early they were a consistant 45mins to an hour behind...Try keeping your ill 2.5 year old happy for all that time whilst a packed waiting room of hideously ill Welsh people (none more hideous) coughed, sneezed and breathed on you thus ensuring you were on the blower for an appointment within the next couple of days...

Switch to the present day...child winges it is ill...pick up phone to med centre at secret HQ base in NW London and get appointment within a couple of hours and is seen within 5 minutes of the appointment time...environment clean, tidy and staffed on the most part by professional, helpful and caring individuals...Deep sigh of contentment...

Seeing it from the other side...Where the NHS practises struggle with our ageing and unhealthy population on f*ck all funding, riddled with bureacracy (spelling?) based on purely what I saw and experienced at first hand has convinced me that we are lucky indeed, at least where I am, to have access to the medical centre...

T

The Masked Geek

StellaVision said:
So, please can you get the facts correct before saying that "Of course it would also be easier to see a doctor in an emrgancy as well, unlike here at Lyneham where for a little while they had implimented the worlds most stupid policy"

You have to admit though, that -

if you require an Ambulance dial 999 and call one, then call RAF police and tell them an Ambulance is comming before walking to the gate to meet it".

- if a factual statement, is a pretty stupid policy.

Last edited:
U

UpLander

Vim_Fuego said:
pick up phone to med centre at secret HQ base in NW London and get appointment within a couple of hours and is seen within 5 minutes of the appointment time
Unfortunately Vim, you are just showing the preferetial treatment saved for our masters, there is little or no chance of that for SAC Bloggs on RAF Usual Station. Not the best example mate, sorry.

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
Boarderlyne said:
On stag a mere 2 months ago and one of the Ruperts needed to go to the local A&E. Nobody sober enough to drive him (the morning after the big night before!) across except for duty staff and local Doorslammers. Doorslammer Control said no but it was OK for stag to lose a bod for over 2 hrs to get the sickie across to the hospital. Doorslammer Control were being too much a jobsworth to get this guy sorted out. Now that's got to be material for the Gripe$ My $h1t thread! :pDT_Xtremez_31:
At the Polytech close to M54 Junction 3 it is common practice for the door slammers to take people to the local A&E in an Astra masquerading as an ambulance during working hours - this is usually some poor trainee who has been broken by the mirror licking PTI's - its also common practice that when 1600 comes around said "ambulance" driving door slammer fnucks off back to camp 'cos his shift is over. When the shorts clad youngster emerges on crutches he finds he's/she's been abandoned. If they've got the nounce to phone camp they are then told to get a Taxi back and claim the money back - if they've got no money there's a float in the Orderley Officers safe.

Duty of care my @rse

Hu