• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Medically discharged tier 1, dispute decision?

cordy543

LAC
good afternoon all,

I have been on the phone to JPAC today and they have informed me I am being medically discharged under tier 1. Just wondering how I go about disputing this as I don't believe this is the correct tier for my condition. Just wondering if anyone had any advice on what I need to dispute it and what to include if I can.

I have tried to get a job in civvy street and been on various trial periods but the injury to my lower back stops me from doing a lot of the work and I have only been able to work 2 or 3 days out of a full week trial because of it. I'm still on constant medication to try and relieve the pain but often have flare ups. when interviewed for jobs as well I have to declare why I left so as soon as they hear i've been discharged for lower back problems I may as well walk out there and then.
or if anyone knows of a company that will take on a glass back for £32,000 a year let me know ;)

so if anyone has any help or advice I would really appreciate it.

TIA

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Approach the RBL or RAFA for support, it's also important that when you have any medical assessment you include the pain involved. Or the consequences, such as yes I can stand for 1 hour, but then I'll be laid out in bed for the rest of the day.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk

cordy543

LAC
Approach the RBL or RAFA for support, it's also important that when you have any medical assessment you include the pain involved. Or the consequences, such as yes I can stand for 1 hour, but then I'll be laid out in bed for the rest of the day.

Good luck

thanks,
i've tried to approach a few different support networks but they all seem to be a bit useless with this situation, was wondering if anyone had been through it before?
i've had to turn down jobs because of it, so how they think it wont hinder me being able to work in the same way I did before I got injured baffles me. everything has been documented for the last 2 years by the raf docs. even on med board I told them I couldn't sit comfortably for longer than half hour or stand for longer than half hour.
just don't know where to turn next or who to speak to as I'm not even near a base because I'm trying to find a job that I can do and somewhere that would actually take me.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Have you tried SSAFA? They will come to your house.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
thanks,
i've tried to approach a few different support networks but they all seem to be a bit useless with this situation, was wondering if anyone had been through it before?
i've had to turn down jobs because of it, so how they think it wont hinder me being able to work in the same way I did before I got injured baffles me. everything has been documented for the last 2 years by the raf docs. even on med board I told them I couldn't sit comfortably for longer than half hour or stand for longer than half hour.
just don't know where to turn next or who to speak to as I'm not even near a base because I'm trying to find a job that I can do and somewhere that would actually take me.

Cordy,

Take the advice of Vim and Busby and really make sure you get SSAFA involved tomorrow.

There are some cruel facts of being MD'd, namely these.

People are being paid to make sure that you are kicked out (because this is what they have decided) with the minimum of fuss, with the minimum compensation and with the minimum amount of comeback on the RAF if your condition deteriorates as time goes by.

They want you gone. They do not care about you anymore and they want you to walk out of that main gate feeling that somehow, you still owe them for giving you such a great exit deal. The reality is, they will be congratulating each other on saving the treasury a few quid at your expense

Get the boxing gloves on.

Get informed.

Do not sign paperwork without proper, outside guidance.

Challenge everything and make the lives of those who want you out as cheaply as possible, as hard as possible.

Keep us up to date and good luck with SSAFA. Get it done ASAP.

TW

cordy543

LAC
Cordy,Take the advice of Vim and Busby and really make sure you get SSAFA involved tomorrow.There are some cruel facts of being MD'd, namely these.People are being paid to make sure that you are kicked out (because this is what they have decided) with the minimum of fuss, with the minimum compensation and with the minimum amount of comeback on the RAF if your condition deteriorates as time goes by. They want you gone. They do not care about you anymore and they want you to walk out of that main gate feeling that somehow, you still owe them for giving you such a great exit deal. The reality is, they will be congratulating each other on saving the treasury a few quid at your expense Get the boxing gloves on. Get informed. Do not sign paperwork without proper, outside guidance. Challenge everything and make the lives of those who want you out as cheaply as possible, as hard as possible.Keep us up to date and good luck with SSAFA. Get it done ASAP.TW
Cheers for the advice guys really appreciate it. Going to phone ssafa this morning and see what info they have. Just need to compile some evidence then be fighting like rocky vs Ivan drago at a beer call 🖒

gray

Sergeant
Cheers for the advice guys really appreciate it. Going to phone ssafa this morning and see what info they have. Just need to compile some evidence then be fighting like rocky vs Ivan drago at a beer call 

If you haven't already - get a copy of your Med Docs, in case they go 'missing' !

Humble Scribe

Sergeant
Cordy,

Take the advice of Vim and Busby and really make sure you get SSAFA involved tomorrow.

There are some cruel facts of being MD'd, namely these.

People are being paid to make sure that you are kicked out (because this is what they have decided) with the minimum of fuss, with the minimum compensation and with the minimum amount of comeback on the RAF if your condition deteriorates as time goes by.

They want you gone. They do not care about you anymore and they want you to walk out of that main gate feeling that somehow, you still owe them for giving you such a great exit deal. The reality is, they will be congratulating each other on saving the treasury a few quid at your expense

Get the boxing gloves on.

Get informed.

Do not sign paperwork without proper, outside guidance.

Challenge everything and make the lives of those who want you out as cheaply as possible, as hard as possible.

Keep us up to date and good luck with SSAFA. Get it done ASAP.

TW

What a load of bollocks. The RAF is retention positive (due to low strength figures) and will do all that it can to retain you IF you can do a reasonable job; this may even be part time or admin duties in some trades. There is certainly no push to get anyone out on the cheap but Med discharge will only be offered to those who are deemed permanently unfit for further service and compensation/med pensions are available in these cases. Others can elect to leave however there is plenty of help out there for those that are discharged. There are plenty of core recovery and multi activity courses and battle back centres designed to specifically help people in your situation in the transition to civilian life and nobody is kicked out overnight - they are given plenty of time to rehabilitate or resettle.

My advice would be to see the WO PMS or Stn Welfare staff who will be able to advise you on this process and your rights of appeal. SSAFA, RAFBF, RBL and various other organisations are out there to help you if you ask.

TW, your response is ill informed and no where close to the ground truth; quite the opposite IMHO although I understand there will be differences from unit to unit and case to case.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
What a load of bollocks.

TW, your response is ill informed and no where close to the ground truth; quite the opposite IMHO although I understand there will be differences from unit to unit and case to case.

HS,

Thanks for clarification. I expect you are talking about your own positive, personal experience of being medically discharged so I'm happy to stand corrected.

Cordy, ignore what I said because there's a nice big shiney system busily beavering away in your favour.

Sorry about that.

Sent from my Cyanogen mod OS phone using Forum Runner

Last edited:

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
"My advice would be to see the WO PMS or Stn Welfare staff"..........

Obviously not at my station then. Certainly wouldn't trust the former with 'confidential' information and the latter....well they are all joined at the hip in some ways whether you like it or not and if you don't trust the former and their staff.....................

Last edited:

cordy543

LAC
What a load of bollocks. The RAF is retention positive (due to low strength figures) and will do all that it can to retain you IF you can do a reasonable job; this may even be part time or admin duties in some trades. There is certainly no push to get anyone out on the cheap but Med discharge will only be offered to those who are deemed permanently unfit for further service and compensation/med pensions are available in these cases. Others can elect to leave however there is plenty of help out there for those that are discharged. There are plenty of core recovery and multi activity courses and battle back centres designed to specifically help people in your situation in the transition to civilian life and nobody is kicked out overnight - they are given plenty of time to rehabilitate or resettle. My advice would be to see the WO PMS or Stn Welfare staff who will be able to advise you on this process and your rights of appeal. SSAFA, RAFBF, RBL and various other organisations are out there to help you if you ask. TW, your response is ill informed and no where close to the ground truth; quite the opposite IMHO although I understand there will be differences from unit to unit and case to case.
Yeah I was told they would of retained me if I could of sat or stood up for longer than 30 mins without being in pain but this wasn't possible. I have been in contact with plenty of agencies and they aren't very helpful imo, ctp guys I haven't heard off in 4 months after doing resettlement courses. Phoned them numerous times and numerous emails and had nothing back. I spoke to the pms guys before I left to go up north to try find a job and they couldn't do anything or had an idea of anything until I got my tier from jpac who told me that would come through 4-6 weeks before my exit date (7th April 17) so how can you sort your life/job out in 4-6 weeks before your kicked out. now I don't agree with my tier they have given, I have been back in contact with most of the organisations and told them the situation and none seem to have a clue. They don't know how to appeal or what I should include in the appeal or if I will be classed as disabled when I leave which is majorly important to employers. I got told most of those courses are like team building things like high ropes etc and I can't even do those. Just get the feeling I'm getting passed off by everyone If someone has disputed the med decision before please let me know. Would really appreciate it.

Humble Scribe

Sergeant
HS,

Thanks for clarification. I expect you are talking about your own positive, personal experience of being medically discharged so I'm happy to stand corrected.

Cordy, ignore what I said because there's a nice big shiney system busily beavering away in your favour.

Sorry about that.

Listen I understand that not everybody is treated in the same manner and the level of service will differ from unit to unit but to tell someone who is after genuine advice that they are being shafted and that, "people are being paid to make sure you are kicked out" is irresponsible and inaccurate. Trust me, I can point you to cases where wasters are taking the **** out of the "big shiney system" and being paid to sit on their fat asses and doing nothing for their salary that the other 99.9% of us are working very hard for. Equally there are those who have received the help, support and money that they deserve to help in their transition.

I haven't been medically discharged but it doesn't mean I don't know how the system can work if it is applied correctly and if the OP is given the proper gen he can get this support too if he is being medically discharged.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
HS,

I will not go down the route of doubting your integrity and your moral willingness to want the system applied correctly but you are someone who is not actually being administrated by the administrators of the MD system.

The realities between the system in place and those who are unfortunate enough to have to go through it are poles apart and Cordy's reply (above yours) sums up the problems endured by people in his situation perfectly.

This site, as well as Prune, ARRSE, and other mil social media sites are littered with threads from people who have been left in states of desperation and despair because of the MD process. It would be great if the admin system was applied in the manner you describe, but this clearly is not happening and more so, it certainly does not appear to be helping Cordy one bit.

chiprafp

Geek Scuffer
HS is far from a yes man and genuinely will give advice based on a massive amount of experience which I can personally vouch for.

I don't doubt there have been bad experiences for people though and no matter whether it's MD or any other service dispute individuals should evidence everything and make sure they have an audit trail.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Listen I understand that not everybody is treated in the same manner and the level of service will differ from unit to unit but to tell someone who is after genuine advice that they are being shafted and that, "people are being paid to make sure you are kicked out" is irresponsible and inaccurate. Trust me, I can point you to cases where wasters are taking the **** out of the "big shiney system" and being paid to sit on their fat asses and doing nothing for their salary that the other 99.9% of us are working very hard for. Equally there are those who have received the help, support and money that they deserve to help in their transition.

I haven't been medically discharged but it doesn't mean I don't know how the system can work if it is applied correctly and if the OP is given the proper gen he can get this support too if he is being medically discharged.

Humble S, it's probably clear to you that I have very strong views on this and by the very nature of our juxtaposing experiences, my views will unfortunately conflict with yours. I would love to be able to discuss various cases that I know of with you over a pint and a curry but we cannot do that over the net so let's leave it there and see what we can do to help Cordy.

Cordy, I have banged some mails out to friends in mil welfare so I hope to get a reply over the weekend. I am hoping that they can turn up some info for you. They are Army orientated but have a lot of experience with MD cases so let's see what they say.

cordy543

LAC
Humble S, it's probably clear to you that I have very strong views on this and by the very nature of our juxtaposing experiences, my views will unfortunately conflict with yours. I would love to be able to discuss various cases that I know of with you over a pint and a curry but we cannot do that over the net so let's leave it there and see what we can do to help Cordy.

Cordy, I have banged some mails out to friends in mil welfare so I hope to get a reply over the weekend. I am hoping that they can turn up some info for you. They are Army orientated but have a lot of experience with MD cases so let's see what they say.

Awesome thank you very much. Any help at all will be much appreciated.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
I can only relate to my wife's process who was medically discharged a few years ago now with a war pension, her treatment by the RAF medical staff and the Thornton Claverley lot was disgraceful. Such behaviour included trying to cancel her Med Board as she was close to her normal exit date, too busy to look at her minor condition, ignoring the reasons for her as to how they had assessed her at 19%, at review and initial tribunal, which was their years of misdiagnosis.

Without going into too much detail she ended up with an assessment of 70%, which just goes to show how wrong they were, throughout their process they did not have any real independent review, no internal challenge.

PMS staff prior to exit and the Med Board guys were great by the way.

For the OP IIRC the process was Award, Review, Further Review, Tribunal, Appeal Tribunal, the Thornton guys should have sent you the info on what to do if you disagree with the tier, my only recommendation still stands that get some support from somebody, whatever charity, who helps in these cases on a regular basis. This will be the only time you go through this, they will have done it a hundred times or more.

On a positive note there will be work out there that is suitable for you, some thing that accommodates your needs without making your condition or pain worse, never looked into it but but if you can get some kind of Occy Health assessment done via one of the Vets Support charities then you could start with a good foundation for the future.

I'd also look for employment with the larger more ethical employer, one that will be able to accommodate you and bear the additional costs involved, civil service would be my starting point.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Hang slack mate.

Information is incoming, albeit Army oriented.

There does appear to be a massive gap between unit support and the actual discharge process, especially with MD cases.

It seems that this is a Tri service problem and maybe E-Goat can help to highlight this kind of issue in the future.