• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Microsoft Office

gray

Sergeant
It is (or was last time) download only - email to your home address with a link to download...

Gray

Humble Scribe

Sergeant
Got the download via a link and the CD sent to my home address a few weeks ago for about £17 (the CD was optional for a few extra quid). Just searched for SABS on the intranet and entred both work and home e-mails some personal details and was simple as that. Cheap as chips!

Yep same as HS, registered (done this before at different unit for Office 2007) and got email to my home address 2x licenses to use one for home pc and one for laptop.. cheers easy £8.95 well spent.. Im also a fan of Open office from my Unix days but at that price why not

C

CC

Just downloaded OpenOffice, first impressions; it seems adequate for what I need.

MattBombHead

Sergeant
I'm trying to access the SABS page from OOA... But can't see it anywhere... Does anyone have a correct link please??

Much obliged

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
Just downloaded OpenOffice, first impressions; it seems adequate for what I need.

I'm a great fan of OpenOffice but unfortunately some of the time(mainly microsoft not publishing/sticking to) the file format conversions don't always come out exact, for the price you pay via SABS it's worth owning a legal copy.

Off Topic
I now feel really dirty for sticking up for buying a microsoft product arrrrggghhhhh, thank fcuk i use linux

HeWitch

Corporal
I'm a great fan of OpenOffice but unfortunately some of the time(mainly microsoft not publishing/sticking to) the file format conversions don't always come out exact, for the price you pay via SABS it's worth owning a legal copy.

Off Topic
I now feel really dirty for sticking up for buying a microsoft product arrrrggghhhhh, thank fcuk i use linux

I've had a few issues with file conversion from Open Office but the "other" free open source version LibreOffice seems to be able to handle save_as operations in a much better fashion; especially the new 3.5 version.
It's based on the same code as OpenOffice but there were internal arguments about how free and open the system should be and it looks like Libre is more open than Open. (/geek moment).
Having said that I pulled Microsofts Office 2011 for Mac from the MoD offer but at heart I like being able to say "oh but I can use open source if I want to..."

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

Off Topic

Open office is like home brew; supporters always enlighten us about how good it is, you try it, and it's always a disappointment. :PDT_Xtremez_15:

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
I've had a few issues with file conversion from Open Office but the "other" free open source version LibreOffice seems to be able to handle save_as operations in a much better fashion; especially the new 3.5 version.
It's based on the same code as OpenOffice but there were internal arguments about how free and open the system should be and it looks like Libre is more open than Open. (/geek moment).
Having said that I pulled Microsofts Office 2011 for Mac from the MoD offer but at heart I like being able to say "oh but I can use open source if I want to..."

Off Topic
I use libre office as it's the stock install on Fedora Core 15

Open office is like home brew; supporters always enlighten us about how good it is, you try it, and it's always a disappointment. :PDT_Xtremez_15:
Off Topic
Must not bite......Must not bite.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
You can get MS Office 2013 Home & Student download for around £80 on that there t'interweb.

Entropy

Sergeant
It may be a good time to consider a new version as MS appears to be following Adobe by moving to a subscription based model i.e you pay a monthly fee to use the software but you get the option to have the latest version.

Back