• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Money Money Money

• Thread starter Thread starter enginesuck
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

dantura

Geeky Fuelly Type
Bombhead said:
:PDT_Xtremez_32:

Just as a point of interest I am a Techie who has C+E and ADR as well as doing my primary role. I also know Techies who are also the Bowser driver on their Sqn’s so if we are multi trades should we be paid more for the Q’s outside our trade boundaries?

I too have C+E, ADR and have also driven bowsers, isn't that a MTD trade Q?
So can I have more money too please?

What sqn is your mate on? I ask because the only 'A' class drivers are MTD's, Rocks and I think Firemen, with a few exceptions for Tac units etc...

D

skevans

Flight Sergeant
Bombhead said:

The last big pay rise was 10% after the first Gulf War and it was Maggie who gave it to us. God Bless her soul. :PDT_Xtremez_30:

If I remember rightly, the very lowest pay range and scales got up to 13% that year.

L

Lady Milia

Gordon Brown wants all public sector pay rises capped at about 2% whilst they will get their usual massive payrise. Although he is angry that Senior civil servants get more money than he does.

skevans

Flight Sergeant
He has been saying that for years, but our pay formula is 'guaranteed' to increase by a minimum of two per cent. As we all know the more junior service people always get more than the rest of us, percentage wise anyway, So willl GB stop them getting more than the minimum???

firestorm

Warrant Officer
Lady Milia said:
Gordon Brown wants all public sector pay rises capped at about 2% whilst they will get their usual massive payrise. Although he is angry that Senior civil servants get more money than he does.

I presume you mean politicians getting massive pay rises, not public sector?

We don't get massive pay rises!

B

Bombhead

dantura said:
I too have C+E, ADR and have also driven bowsers, isn't that a MTD trade Q?
So can I have more money too please?

What sqn is your mate on? I ask because the only 'A' class drivers are MTD's, Rocks and I think Firemen, with a few exceptions for Tac units etc...

D

He is on SAR.

skevans

Flight Sergeant
dantura said:
What sqn is your mate on? I ask because the only 'A' class drivers are MTD's, Rocks and I think Firemen, with a few exceptions for Tac units etc...D

I can confirm that Firefighters are A class drivers in the eyes of command MT.

J

Jannerman

Pay was one of the many reasons I left the RAF. Jumped ship last year after 10 years, PVR'd with a B1 licence and now work for a large airline earning a wage which reflects my level of responsibility.

Getting paid the same wage as a cook or RAFP is damn right insulting. As Sausage2 so rightly pointed out, the consequences of a techie screwing up does not bear thinking about.

The RAF holds back individuals in the techie world who want to get on. How many times have you worked for a Cpl, Sgt or Chf Tech knowing damn well you are perfectly capable of doing their job but are prevented from doing so because you have been overlooked for promotion or haven't accrued a sufficient number of years service? This is where the system falls down, if somebody is capable of doing a job then they should be allowed to fulfill that opportunity, regardless of rank. Why do you have to be a SNCO to do GE duties for example? I know some really switched on Cpl's and even J/T's for that matter who would have excelled in the post.

I did read somewhere on this forum that plans are afoot to introduce civilian licenses for certain Cpl's, Sgt's and Chf Tech's posted onto FSTA (if it ever comes in). What a load of rubbish, another rank orientated system. If a J/T, or SAC(T) is capable of passing the exams and courses then he/she is your man!

To anybody thinking of pursuing a career in civil aviation, the move is/was a good one, the grass is definitely greener on the outside. Factor on earning £25-30k as a mechanic and £40-50k as a licensed engineer, overtime on top of that. Licensed engineers on the contract circuit can pull in £7k a month. It's not all about the money, it's also the quality of life. Being able to live in your own house and see your family every day after work is wonderful. No more wishing your life away living in the block whilst on shift waiting for stand down to come round or the 4 month OOA's.

Moral was low when I left a year ago, doubt very much whether things have improved. You only had to look at the number of people applying for redundancy.
I enjoyed my time in the RAF and am grateful for the fact that it armed me with a trade and skills which were transferable outside. I Left at the right time, didn't want to become one of those bitter and twisted individuals hanging it out for the pension.

Harry - you sound pretty bitter too me. Chill man!

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
To be honest if its re-awakening something interesting and still relevent then I'm cool with it...Its a judgement call on a thread by thread basis.

Harry - you sound pretty bitter too me. Chill man!

Bitter? Not me mate. I just had enough of RAF life so instead putting the world to rights in the teabar and dragging everybody else down I did something about it and left. Now doing quite nicely thank you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back