• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Navy, Army & RAF to be merged

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
One of the problems with tracking logistics is the Army refused to invest in computers for decades. I remember in Basrah in 2004 they were still using pen and paper to completely track all their GSE. The RAF had been doing the job electronically by then for over 15 years. In fact the new and stupidly expensive JAMES system is being brought in because they didn't want to use a system already used by the RAF and Navy. A system already paid for and easily adaptable to what they require. Instead the rest of us are being forced into using an inferior system to suit their childish prejudices and to try and find ways to negate the loss of capability when the GEMS system currently in use goes out of service.

F

Fedaykin

Yeah wasn't it the army who decided to introduce a unique stock system just for their new Bowman radios. The result being lots got lost as they don't show up on the other stock systems they use.

Actually the Radio program also had an example with the army that wouldn't of been a problem if they had a proper computerised stock logistics system. you had an Army engineer type having to drive a long way to a storage depot to physically look at tank engines to find the correct type for the tanks he was maintaining. A proper computerised stock system would of allowed him to do the task in a matter of seconds without ever having to drive anywhere! I go back to the civy world if my Mondeo needs a replacement part and the garage doesn't have the part the bloke in the garage logs onto to his stock system and has it ordered often for same day. That stock system will tell him exactly where it is as well! This has been the case for a very long time yet it seems to of been missed by the MOD and services.

Last edited:

4mastacker

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
......................A proper computerised stock system would of allowed him to do the task in a matter of seconds without ever having to drive anywhere! I go back to the civy world if my Mondeo needs a replacement part and the garage doesn't have the part the bloke in the garage logs onto to his stock system and has it ordered often for same day. That stock system will tell him exactly where it is as well! This has been the case for a very long time yet it seems to of been missed by the MOD and services.

Fedaykin,

I assume that you are not a Supplier(or whatever they are called today). If you are , then you would know that the type of system that you are referring to has, in fact, been around the RAF for a very long time. Real-time visbility of global assets came about with the introduction of USAS 1 in the mid-1970's and has been maintained through updates ever since. If you are of a khaki-based persuasion then perhaps your comment has some validity as the Army did drag its heels with the introduction of global visibility. For all its perceived faults, the RAF's supply system was at the leading edge of technology for a long time - don't know where it is now as I've been out for a while - and when the combining of the three services systems was originally proposed, the RAF was given the lead as the centre of excellence on that subject. I suspect that inter-service politics may have changed that somewhat.

On one particular posting, I had the dubious privilege of having the Command responsibilty for progressing the supply of certain Army-sourced spares on behalf of RAF units. The difference in the two systems could be best compared to the difference between the Wright Flyer (the Army system) versus Concorde (the RAF's system). Having spent a little time in joint environments, I know that my Army and Royal Navy colleagues much preferred the RAF system to their own.

F

Fedaykin

Yep I work for a supplier but not one the sells to the defence industry...

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
In fact the RAF Suppliers were the some of first people in the British Military to used digital computers at an operational level (in Jan 1966 if memory serves), along with the Bloodhound Mk 2 force (Argus 200 computer in the Launch Control Post sometime in 1965) and parts of the Air Defence Ground Enviroment (1 AAC with the GL161 'Tinsmith' data handling system).

The way the Bowman's stock control system was suppost to work was in fact quite a good idea, the problem was in practice, it didn't work due to a number of reasons, some techincal and some due to lack of training and the required terminals to read the chips attached to the kit.