• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Fitters Course

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Well all round it seems theres no real holes in the course.. Theres nothing quite like the learn, exam, dump, new subject technique!

Firstly congrats PSBM for starting this thread (beat me to it git):PDT_Xtremez_25: . I hope it can remain a serious thread for the flow of information about the course. As one of the nine PSBM mentioned I would like to throw my tuppence worth in.

Yes Hu you are absolutley correct (again) it's not strictly speaking a fitters course but as a phrase most understand it's often referred to as such.

Mono - The whole course has been put together with the aim (amongst many others) of avoiding the "learn and dump" attitude. Hence frequent exams and progress hurdles at various stages, oral boards (Some will remember them), practical assessed tasks at regular intervals etc. :PDT_Xtremez_34:
:PDT_Xtremez_30: As PSBM stated the noble art of tin bashing has moved on to a more composite footing though still plenty of chances to abuse sheet metal into prescribed shapes. :PDT_Xtremez_28:
The whole course should be a much much better than the old "fitters course" ever was. Though what the preferred bidder will do with it is any bodies guess.
One more thing any goaters been selected to attend yet? If so whats your view?

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Well done on designing the course. It must have taken lots of effort and time.
Will you really be able to bin off the young thrusters who dont meet the grade? I know from a previous instructor at Cosford that it is extremely hard to bin people from their courses.

You said at the start of this thread "In has come more on Carbon fibre Composites, Airborne Aux Power Systems, helicopters (yep, its back) and propellors (back too). "

Is this going to be Jag/Tonka based in the main like it always has been?
I found it did not help me in the slightest having all this knowledge of "other" aircraft systems. From my mech course I went to choppers and from my fitters course I went to another type of jet which was non tonka/jag and I have now ended up on another type of chopper! It was the same with my multi skilling course, Jag,blah,blah,Tonka,blah,blah. Waste of time for me. I was already split trained from my Q course so everything on my multi skilling was either refreshment or pointless.
I always brought up the fact at the end of phase debriefs during my fitters course and was always given a look of derision for it. Perhaps I have fluked 6 postings that werent Jags or Tonkas!?!
I understand that these systems are used for "training aids", but it would be better if there were a bigger selection of aircraft types in either components and/or systems at Cosford.
There is enough equipment across the board that ends up scrap. Shouldnt some of it end up at Cosford? You can cut it up and display it then.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Well done on designing the course. It must have taken lots of effort and time.
(1)
Will you really be able to bin off the young thrusters who dont meet the grade?

(2)"In has come more on Carbon fibre Composites, Airborne Aux Power Systems, helicopters (yep, its back) and propellors (back too).

(3) Is this going to be Jag/Tonka based in the main like it always has been?

1 - Mr M it will be a pass or fail course. Pass and move on. Fail use the door marked exit and bye now. As previously stated no RTU option any more.

2- Yes all those things now included plus lots more

3 - No it won't be with the inclusion of helicopters etc it will cover a wider spectrum. Where possible the course deals with generic systems and tries to avoid type specific systems. There will be occasions obviously when certain A/C systems need to be used as Cosford does not have one of everything available. Efforts have been made not to make it a Jag/Tonka course listening has taken place at higher levels than me.

OFF TOPIC - Mods might this thread reach a wider audience in the techy forum rather than hiding in the camp specfic forums. Please move it if you agree. OFF TOPIC

Last edited:

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
1 - Mr M it will be a pass or fail course. Pass and move on. Fail use the door marked exit and bye now. As previously stated no RTU option any more.

2- Yes all those things now included plus lots more

3 - No it won't be with the inclusion of helicopters etc it will cover a wider spectrum. Where possible the course deals with generic systems and tries to avoid type specific systems. There will be occasions obviously when certain A/C systems need to be used as Cosford does not have one of everything available. Efforts have been made not to make it a Jag/Tonka course listening has taken place at higher levels than me.

OFF TOPIC - Mods might this thread reach a wider audience in the techy forum rather than hiding in the camp specfic forums. Please move it if you agree. OFF TOPIC

Thanks for the reply there.
Off Topic
Perhaps with the use of the goat we could have an area where we have scrap items offered to Cosford? Cosford types could say yes please or no thanks and the scrap item could be used for training purposes or disposed of.
Just a thought like..............Off Topic

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Although not my place to comment about heavy's training though, as I wear the sparky hand badge proudly on my No.1's. !

Mono though it doesn't apply to you (Good luck on your 2 banana course by the way:PDT_Xtremez_30: ).
There will be a similar further training course for AMM leckies/Fairies starting around the same time. As a heavy I have no sight of the course so cannot comment on it's content other than the Docs/LITS bit should be the same for both courses:PDT_Xtremez_09: . Time wise it should be about the same-ish as the heavy course.

Back