• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New techies at last

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Well, I know 32 bods is just a drop in the ocean compared with whats really needed out there, but the first courses (1235/1 and 1236/1) of ATM and ATA tradesmen graduates from Cosford next, Tuesday 23rd Sept. Thats the first newly trained techies to go out into the big wide (or not so big but still as wide) RAF in the best part of 4 years.
Well done and good luck to them all. I can't speak for the Avionics lads, but the rigger/sooties should be a welcome asset to their new sections (mostly bays) as they are generally a very good bunch who've put up quite well with p1ssed about from pillar to post and all the other buggeration factors that go alongside being the first lot of anyone to do anything new, not least being in the spotlight throughout.

Last edited:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Where are the bulk of them getting posted to? Is there a trend? Are they getting what they put on their dream sheet?

B

Bucc Boy

Well, I know 32 bods is just a drop in the ocean compared with whats really needed out there, but the first courses (1235/1 and 1236/1) of ATM and ATA tradesmen graduates from Cosford next, Tuesday 23rd Sept. Thats the first newly trained techies to go out into the big wide (or not so big but still as wide) RAF in the best part of 4 years.
Well done and good luck to them all. I can't speak for the Avionics lads, but the rigger/sooties should be a welcome asset to their new sections (mostly bays) as they are generally a very good bunch who've put up quite well with p1ssed about from pillar to post and all the other buggeration factors that go alongside being the first lot of anyone to do anything new, not least being in the spotlight throughout.

I took that as meaning they will mostly be going to bays. Why FFS, get them on 1st line and quick. If the rest of the RAF is anything like my present Sqn (and I am sure it is) then they will be as welcome as a saline drip into a very dehydrated man!

The Panther

Corporal
Watch this space in three years time, there will be a thread from the old style SAC(t) moaning about the new style SAC(t) being promoted ahead of them.

And we come full circle once again. So when is the new mech-mech, mech-tech system starting again ?:PDT_Xtremez_15:

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
You may possibly see some form of DE scheme before we go back to single trade mechs (mech/mech, mech/tech).

But you never heard it from me, right.:PDT_Xtremez_06:

The Panther

Corporal
Thats an intresting one Pie, maybe DE's could be used again to fill up slots of JNCOs, SNCOs that are leaving ? Not really a replacement in terms of hands on experiance mind, although it could balance out some manning sats !:PDT_Xtremez_42:

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
You're kidding me!
We havent had any new techies for 4 years?

OK, and to T55 as well, please bear in mind I'm talking about aircraft techies here (not armourers who have their own scheme), the last ones to be trained did so under the old SAC(T) scheme that ended in 2004/5. Since then we've only trained AMMs (mechs not techs); 1235/1 and 1236/1 are the first of these AMMs to graduate as techies following their FT courses.

Why are they going to bays? Dunno, someone has to work in bays and if the new lads don't go there who else will. You can't employ AMMs in bays can you?

FLT, yep think you are spot on there mate. There is a desperate shortage of techs and a need to get people trained up quickly exits big time. You probably know as well as I do that there's this '7 day pulse' thing being planned, but there will still be a big hiatus until the AMMs recruited from civvy street go through their 2 years in the RAF before getting back to their FT course. IMHO the best way around this is to re-create a DE scheme in some way or other, and FT course with the AMM liney bits bolted on.
But we'll see eh?

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Well, at least there's new blood coming through. Well done to the lads and lasses who've passed the course and well done to those who have trained them.

It's nice to hear a success story every now and then.

TW

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
OK, and to T55 as well, please bear in mind I'm talking about aircraft techies here (not armourers who have their own scheme), the last ones to be trained did so under the old SAC(T) scheme that ended in 2004/5. Since then we've only trained AMMs (mechs not techs); 1235/1 and 1236/1 are the first of these AMMs to graduate as techies following their FT courses.

Why are they going to bays? Dunno, someone has to work in bays and if the new lads don't go there who else will. You can't employ AMMs in bays can you?

FLT, yep think you are spot on there mate. There is a desperate shortage of techs and a need to get people trained up quickly exits big time. You probably know as well as I do that there's this '7 day pulse' thing being planned, but there will still be a big hiatus until the AMMs recruited from civvy street go through their 2 years in the RAF before getting back to their FT course. IMHO the best way around this is to re-create a DE scheme in some way or other, and FT course with the AMM liney bits bolted on.
But we'll see eh?

What you actually meant to say was Avionics and Mechanical techies. Armourers can also be aircraft technicians depending on employment, hence the AIRCRAFT technicians supervisors course and my AMA in AERONAUTICAL engineering. :PDT_Xtremez_14:

As an aside, its great that some of the old AMMs have finally got their SAC(T). I knew a couple of lads who were some of the first to go back and they were brilliant blokes and hard workers. It's a shame I can't say that about a few I've seen just recently....

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Yeah I did, but dodn't put it very well :PDT_Xtremez_06:

And yes, they are essentially modern day J/Ts.

If the RAF actuallyleft the scheme alone and let it run for a few years without interference, I think it would still produce techies as good as yesteryear. Although the training may be "easier" (if you're old school) or "different" (if you have a more pragmatic outlook) the main ingredient remains the same - the quality of the lads and lasses, not the quality of the scheme.

I would imagine in the next 12 - 18 months, the RAF will re-introduce DEs, bring back the 1950s technical ranking system (senior technician etc), call AMMs FLEMs and bring back the Air Radar Mechanic. Okay, I'm exagerrating, but we all know the orifcers cannot leave any scheme alone. I think the system has seen around 6 minor/major changes even since I joined, and I've only done 6 years :S

W

welshwizard

I have to agree with what the others say on here about those AMMs that went back on the first FT course from a certain binary sqn here on the big secret airbase in oxfordshire being absolutely top notch.

I guess those A Tech AV/Ms coming back will eventually be in competition with the few remaining JTs out there, but hey, with the seniority and huge lump of experience those JTs have, only complete fookwits would be worried about leap-frogging.

Like it or not, these guys and girls are the future!
WW

T

Tubby

Do they actually come out as SAC(T), just wondering because they still have to do an NVQ when back out of Tossford for the second time and our lads didn't think they get it until that was done. New blood coming through though is a much needed boost to the system. best of luck to you all

fod_plod

LAC
Do they actually come out as SAC(T), just wondering because they still have to do an NVQ when back out of Tossford for the second time and our lads didn't think they get it until that was done. New blood coming through though is a much needed boost to the system. best of luck to you all

As I understand it they will come out as an SAC, not SAC(T), and will have to complete a TATs Part 2 to become SAC(T). They also get an NVQ to do but they do not need to do this to become Q-Ops or promoted but will need to complete it to become a substantive Cpl. This is what we were told on ATSC recently.

T55

Sergeant

Oh I understand now, the FLMs have completed their Fitters Courses!

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Oh I understand now, the FLMs have completed their Fitters Courses!

Oh no no no the two systems are totally different anyone can see that.

With the old system young people joined the RAF where trained to a basic mechanic level and sent to work on the flight line, and carried out minimal trade specific work.They were described as FLM's. They returned on a fitters course when they were deemed ready and graduated as technicians.

With the new system young people join the RAF and are trained to a basic mechanic level and sent to work on the flight line, and carry out minimal trade specific work. They were described as AMM's. They returned on a fitters course when they were deemed ready and graduated as technicians.

See there are major differences between the two schemes.:PDT_Xtremez_28:

Back