• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

No more crusaders

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
OK its in the Mail. But it seems a single complaint has ended up with 14 Sqn removing all references to the word crusaders. Inclusivity in action or over blown wokery?

"The RAF said last night: 'As a modern and diverse Service, our focus must be on not giving prominence to any offensive term that goes against the values of the Royal Air Force. Therefore, 14 Squadron have ceased using their historic unofficial nickname. 'The traditions and informal nicknames used by the RAF in the earlier days have a place in our history. However, some are no longer appropriate in the 21st Century.'"

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Airbrushing history is not the way forward. We own our history, good and bad, and so should every other country and the religions within that country.

I believe the prophet Mohammed had a 3rd bride, Aisha. The marriage was consummated when she was 9.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I wonder which loony toon zob came up with this bright idea?

What's the betting they are an acolyte of Wiggy?

Did they get to have a last crusade a la Indiana Jones? Or are the going for a Prince tribute as "14 Sqn (Formerly known as The Crusaders)"

Wobbly_Jon

Corporal
Strange that during TELIC the locals in Al Udied, Ali Al Salem etc didn't complain when 14 Sqn were flying out of their air bases. Then you get an in-service whinger and it's all change, total woke ball cocks

Whoa, hold on a minute.

Is this offensive too?

More to the point, has the official responsible for witty and cutting replies to stupid or vexatious complaints gone on leave?

UlsterExile

Sergeant
Thought Knighton was going to change things, seems no change at the top then. Normal service has resumed!!!!!!!!!!!! Leonard Cheshire, Keith Park etc will be turning in their grave at the current leadership. People of that era gave their live for free speech, not for history to be taken away and erased.

Thought Knighton was going to change things, seems no change at the top then. Normal service has resumed!!!!!!!!!!!! Leonard Cheshire, Keith Park etc will be turning in their grave at the current leadership. People of that era gave their live for free speech, not for history to be taken away and erased.
Free speech? The speech that was to be protected by the 'new' bill.

That's gone!

Edit..link

4mastacker

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
It would appear that jellyfish leadership is alive and flourishing in today's Royal Air Force. Still, I suppose this decision will do wonders for someone's ACR ( or whatever they're called now).

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The real shame here is no one has complained about Six Hundred and Seventeen Squadron, I find those primos offensive. Those knobbers could be taken down a peg or two....;)

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Can’t believe I read a Lewis Page article on this, and I agreed with him, hopefully won’t happen again.

Dazzy26

Corporal
As an Ex-Crusader this decision is ridiculous. I have also seen in other sites (and this one) as well as social media the OC Sqn and CAS being called all sorts! I think people need to realise that it's the Service Complaints system and an individual that has caused this. SC's now go straight to the SC Team at Air Command, they do not to via the OC Sqn or Stn Cdr any more. The SCT deem whether the complaint is admissible or not. If it is, they appoint an investigator and decision body. Only the person(s) the SC is raised against are notified. Once as SC outcome is issued (either complaint upheld or not). Then the only course of appeal beyond that is the SC Ombudsmen. The SC policy is controlled at MoD level not individual Service.
The SC system is being abused left, right and centre that is the issue.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
No doubt the Crusaders will fall at the upcoming defence review.

Back