• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

No space on d drive

• Thread starter Thread starter k9138
  • Start date Start date
K

k9138

Help.........I am going to throw this thing out of the window!!!

Every time I try and do something it stops and says no space on d. I have removed loads of things and moved things but its not working...:S

Please can someone tell me in thick non computer speak what I have to do so I can download some pictures without it making me want a fag and a glass of wine before I start!!! (and I don't even smoke.....)

Thanks in advance for any help
yours, a frustrated K9 :PDT_Xtremez_34:

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Help.........I am going to throw this thing out of the window!!!

Every time I try and do something it stops and says no space on d. I have removed loads of things and moved things but its not working...:S
Thanks in advance for any help
yours, a frustrated K9 :PDT_Xtremez_34:

What's on drive C:\ ?
How big are the drives supposed to be?
Have you looked at "properties" ?

K

k9138

been farting around for ages now and have 218 mb of space? is that normal?

:PDT_Xtremez_42:

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Is it full because you've got loads of things you actually want on the disk, or is it because it perhaps needs a 'Disk cleanup' and degfragmenting?

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
been farting around for ages now and have 218 mb of space? is that normal?

:PDT_Xtremez_42:

Not really unless that is all it has been partitioned for. Try 'my computer' and right click the C and D drives and click properties to see the actual size of the 'drives'.

M

monobrow

A few neccesary questions...

1) Exactly when does it come up with the error, is it on opening a program or just randomly?

2) Have you used defrag and disk cleanup? (Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Defragmenter + Disk Cleanup)

3) Open up my computer, you should see one disk as ( C: ) and one as ( D: ). Right click one, go to properties then note down total space and free space for both drives.

It sounds like something is arwy though as it should only "panic" if there is no space on C:.... In fact, do the following, don't change anything, but this combined with your space left will help...

Go Start -> Control Panel -> System (in classic view) -> Advanced -> Performance settings button -> Advanced Tab -> Virtual Memory "Change" button.

This should show you the page file usage on the drives. By default that should be C: but if it is D and you're running out of space on it, then it might be worth changing over to C:

Let me know how you get on with that lot ;)

K

k9138

just done a disc clean up which left me 1% space and not enough to defrag. I cant seem to get anything over to c drive now. Am I just being a biff? Would it be easier to get a mate over to look at it or is there a simple solution. Sorry if I'm being thick - computers are not my strong point!

:PDT_Xtremez_14:

K

k9138

Biff solution to reclaim space...

Download this -> http://www.ccleaner.com/download

Run it, clean up everything then check your space on defrag.

Thank you. I ran the crap cleaner (that made me chuckle) and it worked quite well. I now have 502 mb of space. Still not enough though so I have enlisted the help of a friend who is less of a computer biff than myself to come and sort it tomorrow!

Thank you everyone. :PDT_Xtremez_28:

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Jumping on the bandwagon. How long does the ccleaner take to run through the system and what does it do to the machine (in lay mans terms). I only ask as the mini Tin bashers machine is as slow as slow can be from endless hours of Nick Jnr and cbeebies sh1t they have plonked on it.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Jumping on the bandwagon. How long does the ccleaner take to run through the system and what does it do to the machine (in lay mans terms). I only ask as the mini Tin bashers machine is as slow as slow can be from endless hours of Nick Jnr and cbeebies sh1t they have plonked on it.

It's quite quick (a lot depends upon how much crap it has to clean up).

M

monobrow

Jumping on the bandwagon.1) How long does the ccleaner take to run through the system and 2) what does it do to the machine (in lay mans terms). I only ask as the mini Tin bashers machine is as slow as slow can be from endless hours of Nick Jnr and cbeebies sh1t they have plonked on it.
1) Not long but it's all dependant on how much crap there is to sift through. Helping out a friend, it took 15 mins which is certainly no lengthy amount of time.

2) It goes through and looks for all the crap that shouldn't really be there. Stuff like, temporary internet files, cookies, temporary files left over from installation, etc, etc. The best part for a slow computer though is the registry cleaner. The resgistry is very frequently accessed for running any program on your computer. if that fills up with shoite, then your computer has to spend longer looking for the info it needs. So give that a good spring clean and you should notice a difference! In essence, it does delete stuff but in the x amount of years I've used it, it's never f*cked up my machine!

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
It's quite quick (a lot depends upon how much crap it has to clean up).

Quick 18.2234 secs of quick thanks guys cup of corrrfeee

Just used it on the registery bit less than 2 minutes.

Seems it's slow because it's slow not because there's anything wrong.

Once again thanks fella's will keep it on the desk top for future use.

Last edited:

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
Quick 18.2234 secs of quick thanks guys cup of corrrfeee

Just used it on the registery bit less than 2 minutes.

Seems it's slow because it's slow not because there's anything wrong.

Once again thanks fella's will keep it on the desk top for future use.

CHeck your start up list, you may find a horrible amount of vrap start's with the machine. Winamp agent or iTunes are two that spring to mind. Check under system tools for System information.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
CHeck your start up list, you may find a horrible amount of vrap start's with the machine. Winamp agent or iTunes are two that spring to mind. Check under system tools for System information.

Okay as an complete IT biff the learning curve just got very steep. WTF is a vrap and a Winamp? iTunes I have heard of and the nippers deffo don't know how to download them and neither do I. If I find some vraps or winamps what do I do next?

G

gemarriott

Okay as an complete IT biff the learning curve just got very steep. WTF is a vrap and a Winamp? iTunes I have heard of and the nippers deffo don't know how to download them and neither do I. If I find some vraps or winamps what do I do next?

I'd either shoot on site or hit the pooter with henry the hammer:PDT_Xtremez_17:

Back