• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

No space on d drive

• Thread starter Thread starter k9138
  • Start date Start date

TrenchardsLoveSock

Flight Sergeant
Okay as an complete IT biff the learning curve just got very steep. WTF is a vrap and a Winamp? iTunes I have heard of and the nippers deffo don't know how to download them and neither do I. If I find some vraps or winamps what do I do next?

Vrap is the sheep worrier's ham-fisted attemp at typing "crap".

Winamp is a media player type thing that uses enough processor power to run NASA while doing bugger-all in the background.

Sorry if the next bit is a bit noddy, but you did say you were a biff!

When you fire up your PC, it loads more than just Windows.
Anti-virus software can be a big drain (especially Norton) and some hardware (printers, wi-fi dongles, scanners, even sound and graphics cards) loads it's own applications.
Other software idles in the background waiting to be called on too, Adobe Acrobat is a big culprit, as are some media players like iTunes and Winamp.
It could be that your system simply can't cope with the amount of things running in the background so it slows down when you want it to do something.

The easiest way to check for this is to do a "clean boot" of Windows. It's a simple process if you follow the instructions HERE. Once you are booted in a clean state, see if the PC is noticably quicker. All PCs are slightly faster when clean booted, but a massive difference normally indicates that you are running too much, or one of the running processes is having problems and slowing everything else.

BTW, I wouldn't recommend too much time on t'interweb while in this state as you anti-virus will be switched off.

Good luck.

Last edited:
K

k9138

Checked that thing to make sure c was set as monobrow said, it was.
Did the thing tls suggested too.

My comp is running quicker (hoorah) but I still only have 412mb space on d....never mind!

Thank you everyone anyway as its running better. :PDT_Xtremez_30:

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Vrap is the sheep worrier's ham-fisted attemp at typing "crap".

Winamp is a media player type thing that uses enough processor power to run NASA while doing bugger-all in the background.

Sorry if the next bit is a bit noddy, but you did say you were a biff!

When you fire up your PC, it loads more than just Windows.
Anti-virus software can be a big drain (especially Norton) and some hardware (printers, wi-fi dongles, scanners, even sound and graphics cards) loads it's own applications.
Other software idles in the background waiting to be called on too, Adobe Acrobat is a big culprit, as are some media players like iTunes and Winamp.
It could be that your system simply can't cope with the amount of things running in the background so it slows down when you want it to do something.

The easiest way to check for this is to do a "clean boot" of Windows. It's a simple process if you follow the instructions HERE. Once you are booted in a clean state, see if the PC is noticably quicker. All PCs are slightly faster when clean booted, but a massive difference normally indicates that you are running too much, or one of the running processes is having problems and slowing everything else.

BTW, I wouldn't recommend too much time on t'interweb while in this state as you anti-virus will be switched off.

Good luck.

Not to noddy at all I am the worlds biggest IT biff. We have acrobat though I never ever use it, word is my limit. I think Mrs TB uses it at least twice a year at most if I get the OK from OC house and finance I shall remove it. Stand by for another thread in the future on how to actually do that.

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Checked that thing to make sure c was set as monobrow said, it was.
Did the thing tls suggested too.

My comp is running quicker (hoorah) but I still only have 412mb space on d....never mind!

Thank you everyone anyway as its running better. :PDT_Xtremez_30:

You still haven't answered as to how big the 'drives' actually are... Ho hum.

K

k9138

You still haven't answered as to how big the 'drives' actually are... Ho hum.

Sorry cooheed.

D - total size 10.9 gb
free space 452 mb

C - total size 7.99 gb
free space 7.61 gb

I have been trying to get stuff from D to C with no joy - aarrgghhh. I should of been born before the invention of plug in machines!!!

(However I probably would of been a scullery maid or someones bum wiper so I will cancel that idea!):PDT_Xtremez_34:

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Sorry cooheed.

D - total size 10.9 gb
free space 452 mb

C - total size 7.99 gb
free space 7.61 gb

I have been trying to get stuff from D to C with no joy - aarrgghhh. I should of been born before the invention of plug in machines!!!

(However I probably would of been a scullery maid or someones bum wiper so I will cancel that idea!):PDT_Xtremez_34:

A 20gb hard drive is a very very small drive for a modern computer tbh. What size memory (RAM) have you got in the PC? Windows uses a virtual "swap file" to compensate when whatever you are doing fills up the RAM. This "swap file" comes from your hard drive and may be using up the remaining free space.

Incidentally, I just put a 1 TB (1,000GB) hard drive in my new build PC and it only cost me 70 notes!

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
okay ran the CCleaner thingy, deleted acrobat, deleted some kids game carp, de-fraggged the computer drive gizmo and it's fine. Thanks one and all for your help. In the process of doing all that I discovered my drive is 76.3G of which 68.5G is empty meaning it's 89% free of anything at all. It runs a bit better now to.:PDT_Xtremez_30:

Back