• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

pc 'burnt out'

raflad67

Corporal
smell of burning from inside pc and it now won't switch on.

my question is, can i still obtain files etc from the hard drive? if so how would i do this?

tvm

M

monobrow

You can, remove the drive and insert into new / other computer. Move/copy files as needed...

P

pie sandwich

If you smell burning from inside the PC, then best thing to do is open it up and give it a good clean, chances are it's full of dust and fluff.
With the HDD if its working and you want to transfer the info on just do what mono has said.

Entropy

Sergeant
You can still retrieve your files as the hard drive should be fine. Firstly open up the PC so you can get up close to the insides of it.

Do any fans start or does the hard drive make a noise when you try to start the PC. If yes then there is power going to the PC so its very likely to be either motherboard or graphics card.

Next did your PC normally beep after 5-10 secs after starting. If it did and it still does it then the problem is likely to be your graphics card.

If its completely silent when switching on then the chances are its your power transformer but it could be your mother board. Have a good sniif around the power switch next to the power cable connection. If the burning smell is worse there then theres a good chance its the transformer.

Most transformers are a standard with standard connections, But I know that some Dell PCs don't follow this rule. If it is a standrd size a replacement is fairly cheap and simple to replace. PC World stock them.

If you are unsure as to how a PC fits together then find your local geek as they are normally more than willing to help.

raflad67

Corporal
Thanks for all the info.

Firstly, I know nowt about anything remotely electrical but here goes, this is what happened:

switched pc on and it sounded as if something was 'shorting' then a small bang noise was heard a few seconds later

on opening up after disconnecting etc, the smell was from where the lead goes in - transformer?

pc does not start at all now

pc is a PB media 1517 - search for that i guess for replacement transformer?

interestingly for a few days previous it seemed to be slowing down and kind of sticking mid process if you know what i mean

ta

Shugster

Warrant Officer
P

pie sandwich

If you go to PC world for Tech help I will come round and do a dirty protest inside your PC.
Best thing to do is remove the PSU and take it with you, or even look on line for psu's from places like overclockers.co.uk or maplin or play.com even.

and find out what connectors it has and see if they match up same with the wattage.

raflad67

Corporal
It's probably an ATX power supply.

40 quid and you're sorted.

I found these people very helpful.........................
www.novatech.co.uk

thanks all.

i removed the u/s one, noted where connectors went (by numbering!) and then put it back in to see if i could do it; it seemed pretty straight forward. i have found a couple of alternatives - ebay and another site.

the one on ebay is the FSP250-60Gen that i need but i know you can have alternatives - my question is how can i be sure it is ok to put a different one in?

ta once more...

Shugster

Warrant Officer
thanks all.

i removed the u/s one, noted where connectors went (by numbering!) and then put it back in to see if i could do it; it seemed pretty straight forward. i have found a couple of alternatives - ebay and another site.

the one on ebay is the FSP250-60Gen that i need but i know you can have alternatives - my question is how can i be sure it is ok to put a different one in?

ta once more...

Buy yourself a 500 Watt PSU and you're laughing. Don't buy a second hand one as a new one is fairly cheap anyway.

You don't need to replace it with the exact old model.

Just confirm that it's ATX, then buy any one of the 10+ available models.

raflad67

Corporal
good news is that i have replaced the PSU and its working again a little noisier than before but ok (i put in a 500w one).

Next question, is it possible to replace the processor within the pc?

if yes, how?

Ta

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
good news is that i have replaced the PSU and its working again a little noisier than before but ok (i put in a 500w one).

if yes, how?

Ta

Changing your CPU is easy if you have the following information:

1) PC specification

2) Operating System

3) Motherboard manual (or at least the model number)

M

monobrow

if yes, how?

Ta

It is, infact most of your PC is modular and replaceable, however you have different brands of CPU (namely AMD and Intel) but within that you have varying speeds, architectures and what socket they fit in so if you have an AMD Athlon 2000+ then you may find an AMD Athlon 3000+ would be compatable but may not run at the full 400MHz front side bus, but you won't be able to get an Intel P4 or Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad, or i7, i5, i3, then theres bus speeds, whether the cooler is up to scratch etc etc.

Do your research and you'll find out what it is capable of. Google the motherboard part number and usually you will come up with what it is capable of.

raflad67

Corporal
cheers people.

PC is AMD 64 Athlon

PB website says:

The motherboard built into your computer is the Packard Bell ORION. Its main features are:
  • Support for the AMD Athlon 64/64FX and Sempron processors in a 939 socket.
  • Supports a maximum memory size of 4GB.
  • 1 PCI Express x 16 slots
  • 1 PCI Express x 1 slots
  • 2 PCI slots
is that what i need

thanks

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
cheers people.

PC is AMD 64 Athlon

PB website says:

The motherboard built into your computer is the Packard Bell ORION. Its main features are:
  • Support for the AMD Athlon 64/64FX and Sempron processors in a 939 socket.
  • Supports a maximum memory size of 4GB.
  • 1 PCI Express x 16 slots
  • 1 PCI Express x 1 slots
  • 2 PCI slots
is that what i need

thanks

Yes Socket 939 is the Architecture (or type) of processor you require.

Do you know what speed is currently fitted? Also, what kind of things do you do with your PC? It may well be worth upgrading the graphics card and RAM before going in for a CPU upgrade.

raflad67

Corporal
Yes Socket 939 is the Architecture (or type) of processor you require.

Do you know what speed is currently fitted? Also, what kind of things do you do with your PC? It may well be worth upgrading the graphics card and RAM before going in for a CPU upgrade.

CPU SpecificationsManufacturerAMDTypeAthlon 64 (Venice)Clock Speed3400+ (2.2 GHz)Front Bus SpeedHypertransport (800 MHz)Cache512 kBSocketSocket 939ModelADA3400DAA4BZSteppingE3Maximum temperature65°CMaximum power dissipation67 WSupported features
  • AMD Enhanced Virus Protection (EVP; enables hardware Data Execution Prevention in Windows XP with SP2)
  • AMD64 extended instruction set, x64 compatible.
  • Cool'n'Quiet: reduces processor speed and power consumption automatically when less performance is needed (requires BIOS support).

surfing internet really, nothing too heavy but it has just seems to have become a bit laboured recently culminating in the PSU blowing up!

i did put in another Gb of RAM last month so now have 2Gb but doesnt seem to have made much difference (it is in correcly as PC recognises it)

and having just viewed how to do it (CPU change) I don't think I will bother now!

cheers

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
CPU SpecificationsManufacturerAMDTypeAthlon 64 (Venice)Clock Speed3400+ (2.2 GHz)Front Bus SpeedHypertransport (800 MHz)Cache512 kBSocketSocket 939ModelADA3400DAA4BZSteppingE3Maximum temperature65°CMaximum power dissipation67 WSupported features
  • AMD Enhanced Virus Protection (EVP; enables hardware Data Execution Prevention in Windows XP with SP2)
  • AMD64 extended instruction set, x64 compatible.
  • Cool'n'Quiet: reduces processor speed and power consumption automatically when less performance is needed (requires BIOS support).

surfing internet really, nothing too heavy but it has just seems to have become a bit laboured recently culminating in the PSU blowing up!

i did put in another Gb of RAM last month so now have 2Gb but doesnt seem to have made much difference (it is in correcly as PC recognises it)

and having just viewed how to do it (CPU change) I don't think I will bother now!

cheers

Your PSU shouldn't fail because your computer is 'getting slow'. You might find a problem with overheating, give the whole inside a good clean using compressed air or a vacuum cleaner (be careful not to damage anything).

Pay particular attention to the cooling fans, computer components do not like getting too hot and if one of your fans has a faulty bearing or is just clogged up with crap you could be setting yourself for major problems.

Make sure that on the software side you have up to date anti virus and anti spyware and you perform scans regularly - spyware can make a computer sluggish in no time.

Also, if you are running Windows VISTA get as much RAM in as your motherboard (or wallet) will allow.

raflad67

Corporal
Your PSU shouldn't fail because your computer is 'getting slow'. You might find a problem with overheating, give the whole inside a good clean using compressed air or a vacuum cleaner (be careful not to damage anything).

Pay particular attention to the cooling fans, computer components do not like getting too hot and if one of your fans has a faulty bearing or is just clogged up with crap you could be setting yourself for major problems.

Make sure that on the software side you have up to date anti virus and anti spyware and you perform scans regularly - spyware can make a computer sluggish in no time.

Also, if you are running Windows VISTA get as much RAM in as your motherboard (or wallet) will allow.

cleaned it out when i inserted more RAM last month and checked it is clean today when changing PSU's

anti-virus upto date too

windows XP

perhaps I am expecting too much!

cheers for all the help/info

Back