• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

pc 'burnt out'

Mug?

Flight Sergeant
aha!

aha!

cleaned it out when i inserted more RAM last month and checked it is clean today when changing PSU's

anti-virus upto date too

windows XP

perhaps I am expecting too much!

cheers for all the help/info

There you go that is why it failed. I find it's best not to touch the insides nowadays, especially if you are doing it to make it quicker or just want to give it a clean. It can upset the balance of the fan, or can damage connectors, that have gone brittle due to the years of heat.

Get a new upto date PC and use the drive as a slave. I would also suggest getting a backup process going as you can be sure once something goes then the risks are greater.

raflad67

Corporal
There you go that is why it failed. I find it's best not to touch the insides nowadays, especially if you are doing it to make it quicker or just want to give it a clean. It can upset the balance of the fan, or can damage connectors, that have gone brittle due to the years of heat.

Get a new upto date PC and use the drive as a slave. I would also suggest getting a backup process going as you can be sure once something goes then the risks are greater.

i am looking for another pc or maybe go for a decent laptop instead

never been hot on the old back up but have just bought an external hard drive to store any important thing on

cheers

Fortuitously, this thread popped up just as the blue smoke escaped from the back of my PC and it stopped working. A quick poke about and it was obvious the power supply fan had given up and seized solid.

I followed the sagely advice and amazed myself once more that an ex sumpy could do fiddly screws and leccy stuff. Podged the button and it all starts to light up, hurrah says I. Closely followed by the inevitable 'WTF does that mean?'

'Unable to read boot record from SCSI' (I forgot to bring the exact words to work with me so it is something like that)

'Insert boot device and press the any key to retry'. So I pressed the any key, reverted to type and smacked it a few times to see if stuff needed reseating then turned it off and on again with the same result.

I went to the Packard Bell site and got a recovery disc, but it hasn't made a blind bit of difference.

So once again I have to admit I am as thick as mince and throw myself at your mercy for any gems of info which may prevent me, hoying the thing through the window or taking it to a bloke who will charge me the Queens pounds.

Thanks in advance

Jimps

Most likely is that you have dislodged the hard disk data/power cable(s) when swapping out the PSU.

T'was indeed as you said the power to the hard disc. Not dislodged at all, as it wasn't connected in the first place it couldn't have been!

Worra mong. Did a diagram as I disconnected the old box and even took a photo before I started. Meticulous in reconnecting I thought......Doh!

So big thanks to you Steve for putting me out of my misery it all works now.

(And thanks once again to Egoat for being a dullards cyber friend!)

Jimp

Back