• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pension e-petition

Mug?

Flight Sergeant
I wish we had one

I wish we had one

The RPI/CPI change is currently being challenged in the courts by several unions, including my own.
http://www.professionalpensions.com...feels-heat-cpi-switch-challenge-reaches-court
As well as adding to the petition you should also contact your MP.

Good luck to them all I say, I think the nurses are challenging too through the legal route.
It is a massive shame that we don't have someone to voice our views.
I know my paperwork specified RPI at the time. Big decisions were made on the back of it.

L

lister876

Pension e-petition

Signed & posted on Facebook

For most of us, at some point in our life, we will receive a Service Pension and, as some of you may be aware, the Government changed the way inflation affects that pension by moving us from RPI to CPI; clearly a cost cutting action. The long and short of it is basically your pension will increase by up to 1.5% less each year.

In the recent Forces Pension Society newsletter, there was a link to an e-petition raised by a Civil Servant, that should it get 100,000 signatures, will force the RPI to CPI decision to be debated in Parliament.

Now whether or not this e-petition will prove to be successful is another question, but unless we all try we'll never know.

If you'd like to add your name to the e-petition, please see the link below.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/1535

Mods, not sure if this can be madse a sticky post for a while??

Cheers, CC.

C

CC

This petition has now over 100k signatures, so it will have to be debated in Parliament. Sadly, following the recent unsuccessful legal challenge, I'm not holding out much hope but thanks to everyone who 'signed' it. :pDT_Xtremez_27:

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
I've just done a bit of research on what the difference is between RPI and CPI. Speaking as a mathematician, G0d I hate statisticians!

The CPI calculates the average price increase as a percentage for a basket of 600 different goods and services. Around the middle of each month it collects information on prices of these commodities from 120,000 different retailing outlets. Note that unlike the RPI, the CPI takes the geometric mean of prices to aggregate items at the lowest levels, instead of the arithmetic mean. This means that the CPI will generally be lower than the RPI.

The mean, in mathematics, is a type of average, which indicates the central tendency or typical value of a set of numbers. With the arithmetic mean, the numbers are added together then divided by how many numbers there are in the set. The geometric mean is similar to the arithmetic mean, except that the numbers are multiplied and then the nth root (where n is the count of numbers in the set) of the resulting product is taken.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Simply put the CPI is designed to be lower than the RPI.

The problem that the Govt is probably is trying to head off, a bit like it headed of the Baby Boomer retirement crisis by getting rid of the default retirement age, is once the economy picks up the costs of Mortages will have to go up, probably by quite a bit, therefore RPI will shoot up. If the RPI remained the governments preferred measure then not only pensions but a lot of benefits too would be linked to it so if you think all the moaning about the benefits going up at the moment was bad then think how much bumping of gums would happen then.

One hidden cost for all pensions on career average pension schemes (all future govt pensions) is that rather than your annualised benefits going up with CPI rather than RPI therefore your early years of benefits will be at least 50% less than it would have been under RPI and considerably less than Final Salary based one.

Changes need to be made as we all live longer but these changes are all negative and all at once and without proper consultation.