• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Plumber trade structure

• Thread starter Thread starter gemarriott
  • Start date Start date
G

gemarriott

OK just been reading the JT thread.

It made we wonder just how is the bottom end of the trade structured these days? Are there still mechs and fitters even though they aren't called that now. I know that AMMs feed the other heavy trades but do they also go on to be plumbers?

Oh and TBJ keep your nose out I want people who actually know the answer, not people who were told the answer by "my boss"

Pikeman

Cider one of the five
1000+ Posts
GM,

At the moment. The JT rank is no longer used even for God's chosen. The guys and girls left at the moment as JT will gradually disapear as time goes by. The rest of the structure stays the same, AC, LAC, SAC. Even though JT is no longer used CHF TECH still stays.

We now have the SAC(T), JT equivelant :PDT_Xtremez_42:.

FLEM's...sorry AMM's will not have armourer as a choice. We still recruit in our own right as a trade. We are not mixing with any other trade. The usual rumour cropped up about us and the squips but I guess someone worked out that there would be no flying gloves left and to many plumbers with sleve's sown together.:PDT_Xtremez_09:

So no mud blood for us:PDT_Xtremez_28:

Hope that helps otherwise let me know and I'll try again.

G

gemarriott

GM,

At the moment. The JT rank is no longer used even for God's chosen. The guys and girls left at the moment as JT will gradually disapear as time goes by. The rest of the structure stays the same, AC, LAC, SAC. Even though JT is no longer used CHF TECH still stays.

We now have the SAC(T), JT equivelant :PDT_Xtremez_42:.

FLEM's...sorry AMM's will not have armourer as a choice. We still recruit in our own right as a trade. We are not mixing with any other trade. The usual rumour cropped up about us and the squips but I guess someone worked out that there would be no flying gloves left and to many plumbers with sleve's sown together.:PDT_Xtremez_09:

So no mud blood for us:PDT_Xtremez_28:

Hope that helps otherwise let me know and I'll try again.

so basically we stay the same with SAC mechs and JTs called SAC(T). Some fcuking genius thought that one up then:PDT_Xtremez_14:

Pikeman

Cider one of the five
1000+ Posts
Basically , Yep.

They have to do some NVQ stuff, once thats done they get Tech after about three years.

When asked what rank slide they should wear the reply was 4 props looks good when you leave Cosford for the second time:PDT_Xtremez_15:

But instead they went for the mercedes badge:PDT_Xtremez_42:

G

gemarriott

ah well I can look back with pride and say I was a real SAC and a real JT and I never even went to Cosford:PDT_Xtremez_31:

Pikeman

Cider one of the five
1000+ Posts
last ever mechs course to pass out of Saints in 73

last ever fitters course to pass out of Halton in 79

see a pattern?:PDT_Xtremez_14:

Yeh, you were at Halton when I was 7yrs old so can I have my bike back :PDT_Xtremez_28:

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
last ever mechs course to pass out of Saints in 73

last ever fitters course to pass out of Halton in 79

see a pattern?:PDT_Xtremez_14:

Sure do grandad.... 1973 I was in Junior school and 1979 I was in the comp !! :PDT_Xtremez_30: :PDT_Xtremez_31: :PDT_Xtremez_29:

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Surely you need a trade to have a trade structure...

Bomb on ...bomb off...

Back on topic the Armourer mechs at the moment seem a lot more focused than the AMM's. I'm not sure why, maybe because their path is a little more mapped out and they know where to aim.(Things have to be simple for plumbers you can't expect them to make a decision FFS that'd be like letting them getting a snag).

G

gemarriott

Surely you need a trade to have a trade structure...

Bomb on ...bomb off...

Back on topic the Armourer mechs at the moment seem a lot more focused than the AMM's. I'm not sure why, maybe because their path is a little more mapped out and they know where to aim.(Things have to be simple for plumbers you can't expect them to make a decision FFS that'd be like letting them getting a snag).

no need to get bitter just because our kit works :PDT_Xtremez_14:

It was always the case though that single trade mechs were more switched on than FLMs because they had a better chance of progressing.

Pikeman

Cider one of the five
1000+ Posts
You've almost go to feel sorry for AMM's, from what I've heard they get the big talk about how they will get to choose a trade after they have done thier time when in fact it will be down to where they are needed.

Bit of a bummer if you want Rigger/sooty and end up a Fairy/dog smoocher:PDT_Xtremez_21:

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Career structure goes like this (slight variation since I joined up).

Join up - basic - leave Halton as AC.

12 - 15 months at Tossford, graduate as LAC

As soon as reach unit, complete TAT part Alpha to gain SAC. On low pay band.

After 3 years service + 1 day, as well as completion of the NVQ - gain SAC(T) and move to high pay band.

The scheme I was on had a different NVQ, a BTEC National Certificate/AMA and you had to have gained the BTEC in order to be considered for promotion to Cpl. I was also on high pay band straight from leaving Cosford.

I suppose the nearest equal on the old scheme was the Direct Entrant route.

G

gemarriott

Career structure goes like this (slight variation since I joined up).

Join up - basic - leave Halton as AC.

12 - 15 months at Tossford, graduate as LAC

As soon as reach unit, complete TAT part Alpha to gain SAC. On low pay band.

After 3 years service + 1 day, as well as completion of the NVQ - gain SAC(T) and move to high pay band.

The scheme I was on had a different NVQ, a BTEC National Certificate/AMA and you had to have gained the BTEC in order to be considered for promotion to Cpl. I was also on high pay band straight from leaving Cosford.

I suppose the nearest equal on the old scheme was the Direct Entrant route.

Don't worry we don't hold it against you for ever:PDT_Xtremez_14:

Given those dates your training was shorter than a DE but a couple of months longer than my mechs course and fitters course added together. At least you get some civvy quals. We didn't get anything other than C&G aeronautical engineering pt1. Having said that most decent civvy employers recognised RAF training as better than their own so it didn't matter so much that you didn't have pretty certificates.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

Given those dates your training was shorter than a DE but a couple of months longer than my mechs course and fitters course added together. At least you get some civvy quals. We didn't get anything other than C&G aeronautical engineering pt1. Having said that most decent civvy employers recognised RAF training as better than their own so it didn't matter so much that you didn't have pretty certificates.

They're never as good as a mech/fitter though....

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

Quite a lot of the stuff we were taught (whether it was officially sanctioned or not) seemed to be taken from the fitters ourses too, even the LTNs were ex-fitter course ones!

If you factor in all the "ojt" and "experience" we were supposed to gain out in the real RAF before gaining the Mercedes badge of power it should have produced some good technicians.
I felt it was a pretty good deal and felt most of the training was of a high standard - Obviously, bar a couple of throbber instructors and some padre/bullying rubbish!

The time the scheme fell down was when lads were getting posted to things like an armoury as a first tour. Some of these guys had trouble gaining a full spectrum of jobs to enable them to complete the NVQ.

I believe the Plumbers now coming through only get a BTEC Award, which to be honest is a bit crappy.

Incidentally, the qualifications (BTEC/NVQ/AMA) we gained were identical to the single "aircraft" trades at the time.

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
no need to get bitter just because our kit works :PDT_Xtremez_14:

It was always the case though that single trade mechs were more switched on than FLMs because they had a better chance of progressing.

Does that mean we can get rid of EOD then...lol The amount of DUMB paveways I've seen...shall I carry on...lol

I don't know if switched on is the description but focused yes ... They're still not like proper armourers though. FFS they miss freckles out of the sylabus nowadays. I'm surprised at just a BTEC though surely all those stupid licensing regs must have some sort of qualification behind them?

Back