• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Post RAF career paths - which one did you take?

steve811

LAC
Career path, more like a downhill plunge!

Career path, more like a downhill plunge!

Mine is a bit strange! I was due to leave in 2000, after 23 years and I had worked through getting my ONC then HNC in mech engineering (I was an armourer) and then started doing a degree in computing on day release. Halfway through the boss (nasty bitch) shafted me and refused to let me finish the degree, and then they wanted me to go to Kosovo! I managed to get preferential treatment as my daughter (6 months) was very ill and I had no faith in the services ability to get me home in a hurry from that ****hole. I managed to use the last eighteen months of service doing resettlement and applying for jobs.

In Feb 2000 I saw an advert for "Health and Safety Inspectors" working for the Health and Safety Executive (Government). I applied even though I felt I had no chance as my experience of working with the civil service was working with MOD ( I was at St Athan) and they would never give an officer grade job (we are the equivalent of Sqn Ldrs) to a lowly ex-corporal! I did the two selection tests (one half and one full day) and was offered the job as Band 4 trainee in October 2000. I got early release and after finishing the two years training was promote to Band 3 Inspector.

Since then I have worked in Construction, Agriculture, docks and airports, mechanical and production engineering, domestic gas and have now gone back to construction again. I investigate accidents and complaints, carry out inspections and reviews and where necessary prosecute. We have greater powers than the police in some cases and have the right to take our own prosecutions, so I regularly present my own cases. In fact it is likely I am the only armourer ever to appear in court who was not the accused!

The job is great, and you feel you have made a difference when you prosecute some dodgy git who has badly injured one of his workers and does not really give a toss. I am coming up to my 13th year and looking to move on to something else perhaps a different team or a different industry.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
I'vegot an ex-spanner monkey working with me as an Aviation Software systems salesman... And he's coining it in. He can sell sand to the Saudi's.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Strangely enough - I was a Rigger! Apart from (several) EASA Part 66 Licences I have no formal qualifications other than those with which I left school. (oops! - the RAF gave me a CGLI Part 2)

On my last tour in the RAF I was thrown into QA ("...or be short-toured back to UK!") I already had my CAA LWTR for Turbine Engined Rotorcraft because I was due to exit ten years earlier but got stuck in Pension traps.

After a career decision I PVR'd and wrote 14 letters to airlines and maintenance companies - getting 4 replies for interviews. I went straight into the QA Dept of a well known MRO and from there moved to Airworthiness for a Charter Airline and then back into Quality (Assurance, not Control) Management. I am on my 5th job since leaving the RAF nearly 15 years ago. Generally, the only way to improve your position is to change companies.

In civil aviation only about 1/3 of QA is about audits and corrective actions.
I am a type rated engineer for the whole fleet.
I authorise all maintenance extensions and variations to maintenance schedules. All pilot and engineer authorisations are issued by me.
I monitor Flt Operations, Maintenance, engineer and pilot training and the Flt Sims. If anyone wants to do anything new in the company - they ask me if they can do it first. And even if I say yes they have to prove they can do it properly before being approved to start.
I liaise directly with CAA and other authorities as my Dept conducts all the ARCs and I have responsibility for maintaining all the approvals and certifications the company holds. If we lose one - I collect my Coat.
I audit sister companies that operate overseas and have conducted "investigations" for the same. The Group has 5000+ employees and 400+ aircraft.

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
As a tranche 1 victim(compulsory and being Eng Tech Av/ATech Av) i ended up taking my software engineering experience i gained as ISK out into the civvy world. Although i do not have a degree i did get quite a pay jump and entered in as a Consultant Software Engineer. Since i started i gained my Certified Ethical Hacker certificate, have done various training courses in areas i had no experience of, Developed a product(as the sole developer) my company now sells. I do work that often varies from day to day so rarely get bored and when i deliver something i actually feel valued.

Fearless Leader

Corporal
I left 2 years ago, and have been working at Airbus for the past 18 months or so. Looking at going to Saudi (interview this Friday), or looking for something else in the new year.

How did the interview go? I'm out in Saudi at the moment if you need any gen.

Fearless Leader

Corporal
I left August 2010 and started off doing similar work to what I had done in the mob.

Within a year I'd moved to a Systems Engineering role and that led to my current job. Not necessarily using my old trade skills now, but the experience of certain types of kit and systems still comes in handy. My job now involves more project management, which is ironic since I'm not badged as a PM and I have no qualifications as a PM - and we have a mini-army of PMs... who sit and drink tea all day!

Quite a few ex-RAF where I am, ranging from linies and other techy types on the bases to aircrew instructors.

Also a few people amongst the Gantt chart army who are ex-RAF with their PRINCE2 certifcates on proud display.

I would say the things that have helped me the most are organisational skills, management experience and common sense. The latter being in short supply out here, so I also need to make use of tact and diplomacy... :-)

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I've already stated what I have done since leaving earlier in this thread but Ihave an observation that should ring true with a few on here...

When you leave and take up your new post in your new firm it's a tad daunting even for the most confident of us...You may go through an induction process and a number of HR evolutions before you get to your office/bay/dept etc. Then you start chatting to your new co-workers who at face value talk the talk (you may not understand a deal of what they say as just like in the mob there is different vocabularies out there dependant on your new industry) but after about 6-12 months, once you've got your bearings, found the brew boiler and bogs and generally sussed the place out you then realise that many of the people you are working with don't actually have a clue what they are doing...Money/funds p1ss through their hands, decisions go unmade, briefs and communications un-given because they 'don't like to do that', projects run amok because they haven't applied themselves or just don;t know how to lead and more importantly confront their issues, workers shuffle around looking busy but actually achieving feck all and are unchallenged...and the list goes on.

As an ex-mil type if you keep to your values and morals, treat people with respect but don't give them the latitude to carry all the above then thats when your new employer realises why they took a punt on you...

Malesu

Corporal
Subscriber
How did the interview go? I'm out in Saudi at the moment if you need any gen.

Didn't get it, guess being away from the A/C for 2 years didn't help. Guess i'll stick around at Airbus until something better comes along (Willing to take a slight pay cut, if it means more job satisfaction & security).

mild mannered janitor

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Left in July this year under redundancy and vowed i would never work with aircraft again, ended up working with a firm who contracted me out to Rolls Royce (sitting at a desk which i hate) with a slight pay cut but i was just glad to have a job.
Five months on and I've just signed a contract for my new job working on test beds in the UK and abroad, earning more than most chiefs in the mob (i left a a Cpl)
During my time winding down i daydreamed of big money and walking out into a better life and while i was happy to go in the end the reality is that out here you make your own luck.
To anyone thinking of leaving my advice would be that while the money might not be great to start with if you persevere things will happen for you in the end and the air force soon becomes nothing but good memories of the time you had.
I didn't leave i got punted but if i could meet the person who put pen to paper and made it happen now? i can say 100% i would thank them.

Keyser Söze

Corporal
Didn't get it, guess being away from the A/C for 2 years didn't help. ......

2 years away from THE aircraft or 2 yrs away from aircraft?...

If its the former what do BAES want? There cant be that many Q'd Typhoon guys around and who are willing to go to the sand-pit surely. Anyway you re working for Airbus so its not as if you've been off-aircraft.

If you want my 2peneth worth Malesu, get your B1 or B2 done , once you're licenced and typed, trust me you can earn good money,,,, you may have to go where the work is, but you could nip across the airfield at Broughton those guys are on the look-out for licenced guys

Malesu

Corporal
Subscriber
Deffinately looking at getting away from Airbus. For the last 2 years, they've only recruited through Blue Arrow (same hourly wage and that's about it), with no signs of being taken onto the core work force.

The first wave (me) were employed permanent full time through the agency. where as following waves have been 1-3 month contracts. With the way the A380 orders have ground to a halt (& the A350 going slow), they're moving alot of the Airbus personnel over from A380 to A320 & A330 to help with orders. At the same time, they're starting to get rid of all the second wave, with the first wave sure to follow soon. So with that In mind I'm trying to get out now before I get pushed.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I've already stated what I have done since leaving earlier in this thread but Ihave an observation that should ring true with a few on here...

Then you start chatting to your new co-workers who at face value talk the talk .......you then realise that many of the people you are working with don't actually have a clue what they are doing...Money/funds p1ss through their hands, decisions go unmade, briefs and communications un-given because they 'don't like to do that', .

Interesting take on the new world. I found exactly the same, but curiously just below the surface there are always a few gems with whom one can collude and collaborate. In the end, its the best thing to do. Search out the nub of the operation because they will ALWAYS be central to the nitty gritty and above all the ethereal nonsense usually espoused by managers. Therein lies security.

Sergeant
ex a tech p 15 years, 3 years bae saudi,19 years compressed air service engineer,now healthcare scientist/clinical engineer working for the nhs with medical gases.Its been a journy.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
SAC(T) Armourer to Diesel locomotive Fitter, to Permanent Way (Rail) Inspector to Component Engineer to Senior Mechanical Engineering Consultant (Traction & Rolling Stock), now earning more than a Tg1 SNCO.

Not bad for a retard Plumber.

The railways are ace, for example, 75% of traction and rolling stock engineers are over 55, there will be a massive shortage in a few years.

Last edited:

Old Timer Chris

Corporal
Post RAF careers

Post RAF careers

I am new to the forum so I would like to say hello to all!
From my perspective this is an interesting blog, if that the right term, since I left in 1991 after 22 years in the RAF as a techie and if you do the maths you will find I heading for my 22[SUP]nd[/SUP] anniversary in Civilian Street. So you could say I have, quite a bit of, experience on both sides of the fence! Looking back…. what would I choose, as a technical career, if I was given my time again? It would have to be, ‘Control Engineering and Automation’.
To give you a feel of what I am talking about, type ‘Maintenance Engineer’ into the ‘Job Site’ search engine and see what comes back. I not saying that this is the job for you, but it’s only half the story because there are also plenty of other jobs in control engineering companies feeding this type of industry. 25 to 35K the norm 50 to 60K achievable with experience. I intend approaching the CTP with a course which would help. Suspect it will be a struggle though!

Yours Old Timer Chris

T

The Masked Geek

I left the spaff goblet that was TG4 and joined your lot outside. Seems like a good move so far. Kicking off the degree in Computing and Psychology tomorrow so may be in a different trade all together in 5 years.

Left TG1 after 15 years and became a light and sound engineer for live events / festivals / theatre etc. Did that for 18 months before pressure from the wife for a regular pay check lead me to instructing for the MOD at Arborfield.... Still get to do the occasional gig though!

Treehugger

Corporal
ET'd in April after 14 years as a rigger/heavy, got a job pretty quick with a rapidly expanding firm who do lots of work in the oil and gas and industrial fields. Money is significantly better than my cpl pay, and I'm still getting a good amount of travel too. The job allows me a fair degree of autonomy as well, which is nice. I enjoyed my time in the mob, and still miss aspects of it, but I know I made the right decision. Onward and upward!

B1 and C LAE

B1 and C LAE

Hi, I left at the end of 2012 as Chief, after 26 mostly enjoyable and varied years, fortunately with a B1.1. I went to work for a local firm using my licence, in the north west. I finished off my mortgage. Pay is more than in the mob for less hrs, and there is this funny thing called paid overtime. I am now building up another pension. Wife and kids are happy that I am home every night. Oh I don't do sjars, have an inventory or call anyone sir!

Would I have joined the raf again if I was young and do I miss the mob? Dam right, but it is time to move on an let other people have go.

My advice to anyone still in. Do your homework before you come out, do as many cse's and AT as you can while you still in. And enjoy it. :)

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
My advice to anyone still in. Do your homework before you come out, do as many cse's and AT as you can while you still in. And enjoy it. :)

Thank you, Throatarea, for backing up what I've been saying for some considerable time.

All the good and well-paid jobs are out there and waiting for a serviceman/woman to fill them. All you guys have to do is fill your free time with an escape plan.

Back