• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Promotion

• Thread starter Thread starter T1989
  • Start date Start date
T

T1989

Agree with Monty and Mono, do your degree now and then decide as a few years down the road you might have kids etc that means studying won't be impossible but alot harder.

I do OK in civvy straße, but I could do a hell of alot better with a degree behind me!

Finish your degree first, you'll regret it in later life if you don't.

How OK is OK if you don't mind me asking, I'm really not motivated by money, so that's not really an issue for me! Are the options for an RAF trained technician good when you leave?

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
How OK is OK if you don't mind me asking, I'm really not motivated by money, so that's not really an issue for me! Are the options for an RAF trained technician good when you leave?

In a word? Yes they are. The training and experiences you undergo in the military will stand you in good stead for the future, but like everything in life, you get out what you put in.

The fuller you can make your CV, the better. It makes little difference whilst in the service, but once you are back out into the big bad world, a degree in mechanical engineering could be a clincher in a job interview.

People who join the military with an empty CV will leave with one if they don't put in the effort. The good news is that there are lots of ways you can broaden your horizons and increase your educational base supported by the RAF.

You will find in a lot of organisations, there is an unspoken 'ceiling' that is difficult to get past unless you are degree educated. It's old fashioned and elitist, but it does happen!

Shugster

Warrant Officer

Well for me personally I fix control systems and do some basic design work...

But I sometimes have to watch people design rubbish that I then have to fix, but when I ask about doing that job I get the lack of degree thrust into my face.

You'll get a good job that pays enough for a fairly normal lifestyle when you leave. (Enough for a house, car etc). But a degree opens doors that would otherwise be shut or very difficult open. IMHO.

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
But a degree opens doors that would otherwise be shut or very difficult open. IMHO.

Agreed, but also the experience gained in the forces counts a lot. Leaving the RAF the job I applied for asked for degree etc or relevant electronics experience....my BTEC and years of forces experience got me the job.

Now looking to go contracting and hopefully will be starting with new employers very soon......cant stand working for froggie ****s !!!

So get the degree AND the experience and the world should be your oyster !! Best of luck whatever you decide !!

Crack on......................:PDT_Xtremez_09:

Back