• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

prospective new Auxuillary type

Hello all, Ive just recently applied to join the Royal Auxuillary Airforce so I am at the very start of the process, just waiting to be contacted by the sqd they have recommended to me. All ready I have some questions more out of curiosity than anything else, I didnt get my first choice paramedic as they arent recruiting just now ( I am a paramedic ) but thats ok, its my second choice which I also didnt get which has left me scratching my head a bit ( still not a problem though ). My second choice was driver, I hold a LGV Class 1 license which is still valid, I also drove wagons from DROPS to FFR's and vehicles in between ( however my FMT600 is a bit out of date ) the reason why am scratching my head, is because I didnt get my second choice was because I wasnt qualified ?. Like I said, I am just curious as to why I wouldnt be qualified to be a driver. But I am still happy with my third choice ( Gunner ) which is the one I thought I wouldnt get ironically enough!! Anyway just looking forward now to hearing from the squadron so I can get the ball rolling and get my fitness levels up.

Looking forward to chewing the cud with you all at some point.
:untroubled:
Cheers Guys

M

MQ-9 Reaper

Hello all, Ive just recently applied to join the Royal Auxuillary Airforce so I am at the very start of the process, just waiting to be contacted by the sqd they have recommended to me. All ready I have some questions more out of curiosity than anything else, I didnt get my first choice paramedic as they arent recruiting just now ( I am a paramedic ) but thats ok, its my second choice which I also didnt get which has left me scratching my head a bit ( still not a problem though ). My second choice was driver, I hold a LGV Class 1 license which is still valid, I also drove wagons from DROPS to FFR's and vehicles in between ( however my FMT600 is a bit out of date ) the reason why am scratching my head, is because I didnt get my second choice was because I wasnt qualified ?. Like I said, I am just curious as to why I wouldnt be qualified to be a driver. But I am still happy with my third choice ( Gunner ) which is the one I thought I wouldnt get ironically enough!! Anyway just looking forward now to hearing from the squadron so I can get the ball rolling and get my fitness levels up.

Looking forward to chewing the cud with you all at some point.
:untroubled:
Cheers Guys

Once your in, there is nothing to stop you applying for the other positions you wanted as often as you like!

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I have to be a little careful here.

The Air Force that you have applied to is not like the other Air Force. In fact, from my experience which is a little limited, it is sometimes at odds with the full time lot, in that things may be a little slow to progress and be misunderstood if you go the central route to applications. This applies to quite a lot of trades, not just your choices.

My experience is this. Go visit and talk to the squadrons that host the expertise that you possess and wish to exploit. Talk and explain what you have; demonstrate nuggets of it where you can to the people who matter on the squadrons. Win them. It is very much like a civvi job in that your application will progress a lot faster where you can do this and create some local "suck", rather than depend on your own individual "push".

I think you will find that, unlike the usual conveyor belt process, your application might well be expedited with a little more "grease" if you are "the one that they want".

(crarp - I know, couldn't resist)

Entropy

Sergeant
What squadrons are you thinking of joining? I would have thought that one of the med Sqns would have bitten your hand off.

What squadrons are you thinking of joining? I would have thought that one of the med Sqns would have bitten your hand off.
504 Sqd ( City of Nottingham ), I am still waiting ti hear from them but its only been a few days yet. I dont mind really mind what role they wish to employ me in, but I was under the impression that they were after medical staff, but if thay can use me somewhere else thats not a problem, like has already been stated there will be opportunities to transfer in the future if I so wish. I would imagine that as a gunner I could still be utilised as a paramedic if needed. Anyway looking forward to getting started.
:smile:
Anyone else from 504 Sqd on here who can give me a heads up would be most appreciated, Cheers.

Entropy

Sergeant
I know a guy at Brize that drives from your neck of the woods. He says that its not too much hassle so 4626 could be a possibility as they move to Brize next year.

GunnerP

SAC
I was on 504Sqn back in 2000. It was then multi trade, but as far as I know it is primarily a Regiment Sqn now, so any other trade posts I imagine would be dead mend shoes type of appointments.
As said above, your best bet is to go and have a chat with them.

Some good tips there fellas, but at the moment I am quite happy to go down the gunner route, something totally different from the day job and it was one of my choices. Looking forward to hearing from the Sqd soon so I can get the ball rolling, the longer it takes just gives me a bit more time to build up my fitness levels, am really looking forward to it.

Having had a look at the Sqd it is mainly Regiment ( no F/P ) with supporting trades, so onwards and upwards as they say.

Cheers Fellas

cobbler

LAC
welcome and good luck mate , my best advice is get fitter than you think you will need , having just failed my PJFT on the bleep test , i now have to wait till march for another crack at it , which i will hammer the fitness till then, i thought i was fit enough just by jogging a couple times a week and playing abit of footy ...not the case :pDT_Xtremez_26:

work hard mate and crack on

phil

welcome and good luck mate , my best advice is get fitter than you think you will need , having just failed my PJFT on the bleep test , i now have to wait till march for another crack at it , which i will hammer the fitness till then, i thought i was fit enough just by jogging a couple times a week and playing abit of footy ...not the case :pDT_Xtremez_26:

work hard mate and crack on

phil

Cheers mate, am trying to follow the fitness training programme, stuck to it for a week now so am pleased with myself thus far, it will get harder when am back in work because of the shifts, so as you say mate its a case of work hard and crack on.

Cheers mate