• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

PVR survey

• Thread starter Thread starter Mickwreay
  • Start date Start date
M

Mickwreay

There has been a lot of talk on many forums on E-Goat, how’s about we do a PVR survey that will actually show the truth?
If you are currently employed within the aircraft trades, then how about posting a figure for your section. We need only use figures, NO names obviously.
The truth is out there, if only we can find it!

Odie

Sergeant
A section of 10 SNCOs of which 2 are taking early release (rather than a PVR) this year. :0

D

Douglas Bader's Right Leg

Why only aircraft trades?

Of 7 supplier cpls working for me, 3 intend to leave at their next option point, which is within the next 4 years for all of them.

M

Mickwreay

Why aircraft trades?

Why aircraft trades?

Why only aircraft trades?

Of 7 supplier cpls working for me, 3 intend to leave at their next option point, which is within the next 4 years for all of them.

Hi mate, I am not trying to alienate anyone but simply trying to find out the extent of PVRs within the aircraft trades. I know all trades have a problem and some definitely more than others. These kinds of facts and figs are invaluable when going to CASWO briefs etc.
Once again this is not trying to put anyone’s nose out, but simply to gauge the extent of the aircraft trade problems.

Mick

D

Douglas Bader's Right Leg

Fair enough, this is in the techies forum after all!

C

chriswev

At our section we have been at least at a 5% PVR rate for the last 2 years and alot more are putting in paperwork due to the promotion board results and poor standard of life. 37 working days to go! :)

M

Maxmeister

Out of a section of around 40 bods. We have had 7 PVR's in the past year who have left. 1 PVR been in 2 weeks, 1 waiting to have done minimum time and then in and 1 more weighing up the options available.

This is up from an average of 1 PVR per year.

BillyBunter

Techie & Proud
Well at ISK ,the figures were massive last year , think the total was around 62 engineers left, i know this year there is a few more but not half as bad, lots are time ex too so that does not help the figures but i cant give an exact quote without doing some homework. That is just a 1st line Squadron only and does not reflect 2nd line bods. People go get mixed up with time ex and pvrs

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
On my Sqn of approx 150 Engineers, from both the RAF & RN, we have 6 people who have PVRd and currently have discharge dates. We also have one JNCO who turned down his offer of 22yrs.

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
On my Sqn of approx 150 Engineers, from both the RAF & RN, we have 6 people who have PVRd and currently have discharge dates. We also have one JNCO who turned down his offer of 22yrs.
I reckon that's where the real problem lies. I happen to see more than my fair share of new Cpls and Sgts and we have a straw poll on how many will sign on or go before their option point.

Of the last 4 courses of new Sgt's I've met not one single bloke is signing on past 22 - or at least that's what they say in front of each other - which is quite staggering cos we can usually find one bloke (usually some cnut who works in a factory or on a project team) who's signing on.

About 50% new Cpl's say they will sign on to 22 for the pension but that's way down on last years figures

P

POB

One of the problems is not so much the number of PVRs, but the number of people not signing on. Whilst I am led to believe PVR rates are broadly similar over the last few years, there are no figures showing those that do not sign on. This is, I think more of a problem!

Hu Jardon

I reckon that's where the real problem lies. I happen to see more than my fair share of new Techie Cpls and Sgts and we have a straw poll on how many will sign on or go before their option point.

Of the last 4 courses of new Sgt's I've met not one single bloke is signing on past 22 - or at least that's what they say in front of each other - which is quite staggering cos we can usually find one bloke (usually some cnut who works in a factory or on a project team) who's signing on.

About 50% new Cpl's say they will sign on to 22 for the pension but that's way down on last years figures

I have decided not to ask them any more - not cos I'm not interested I'm just bored with all the laughing when I ask the question:PDT_Xtremez_42:

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I reckon that's where the real problem lies. I happen to see more than my fair share of new Techie Cpls and Sgts and we have a straw poll on how many will sign on or go before their option point.

:

I found there is a certain element of bravado in that question, when that question is phrased in a certain way or asked to a group the outcome can be twisted, but individuals will think otherwise. When my course got asked the question "who will be singing on to LOS 30 ?" only 2 people stuck their hand up, but if you would have asked "who is not going to sign on ?" most people would have not voted. I am not trying to paper over the cracks there is obviously serious issues currently within the service. But my course of 16, when it came to the crunch, talking in the bar 14 of the 16 were going to sign on, mainly because it gave them future flexibility.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts

I have decided not to ask them any more - not cos I'm not interested I'm just bored with all the laughing when I ask the question:PDT_Xtremez_42:

One Cpl turned the 22 down. However I have seen at least 5 take it. And 4 out of 4 SNCOs have taken LOS30 over the last year when it was offered.

As someone says, there's a lot of bravado in the crewroom, but when the security net of a 10-15 yr contract is offered, the bravado is generally replaced by a reality check. Not that I'm saying that all these people will do 30yrs etc, but any SNCO who turns it down is a bit silly - there's still nothing to stop you leaving at the 22yr point if you still feel the same way.

In the last four years in my section the following have left:

1 snec age 47
2 snecs left after 22 didn't sign on
2 snec pvr'd
1 cpl redundancy lucky Sh!te
2 cpl pvr
1 cpl left after 22 didn't sign on
2 jt pvr
5 sac pvr
1 sac admin dis

another 2 sac pvr'd for later this year
1 sac pvr'd for next

and theres only 28 of us

they all said they loved the job but not the air force in general with all its penny pinching and the additional amount of officers per o/r's , all trying to out smarty point each other

But i blame the chief!!:PDT_Xtremez_31:

spanners

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
One Cpl turned the 22 down. However I have seen at least 5 take it. And 4 out of 4 SNCOs have taken LOS30 over the last year when it was offered.

As someone says, there's a lot of bravado in the crewroom, but when the security net of a 10-15 yr contract is offered, the bravado is generally replaced by a reality check. Not that I'm saying that all these people will do 30yrs etc, but any SNCO who turns it down is a bit silly - there's still nothing to stop you leaving at the 22yr point if you still feel the same way.

I turned down my LOS 30 (along with another SNEC on the same day), reason, well, if I sign on, I lose my last tour of duty, therefore liable for a posting (I'm at my requested place) and you have to leave at some point, I can either start looking for a job at 40 or 48, and I think I am more employable at 40.
Everyone has reasons for or against signing on, neither one is silly, it is something that has been given a lot of thought!

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I work on a section of about 60 bods, we have lost a few guys to redundancy's tranches and time ex, but the only PVR in the last 3 years was the Jengo.

Hu Jardon

I found there is a certain element of bravado in that question, when that question is phrased in a certain way or asked to a group the outcome can be twisted, but individuals will think otherwise. When my course got asked the question "who will be singing on to LOS 30 ?" only 2 people stuck their hand up, but if you would have asked "who is not going to sign on ?" most people would have not voted. I am not trying to paper over the cracks there is obviously serious issues currently within the service. But my course of 16, when it came to the crunch, talking in the bar 14 of the 16 were going to sign on, mainly because it gave them future flexibility.
I absolutely agree - things can indeed get slewed, nevertheless they shouldn't be ignored - in my opinion the problem isn't PVR's it is the drop in numbers of people seeking an extention and a severe drop in recruitment. Regardless of what you or I think I personally know 4 WO's who have PVR'd since Christmas and 2 x recently promoted FS's who will not be signing on to 55 - and you can bank that......................

D

DrunkenMonki

In my place we have 5 cpls and 1 snec. The snec hasn't signed on past 22, and is out this year after 3 years in rank. We've lost 4 cpls/SAC's, 2 to redundancy, 1 to PVR and 1 to New Zealand, effectively a PVR. Out of the replacements we have one who hasn't even signed on beyond 9 years, he hasn't said if he ever will, but after 2/3 years I doubt it. 2 are not far off 22 years and do not loo like promoting. And me and the other lad have signed on to 22, but are both on or about 8/9 years, with real issues ahead, as we both kinda want to leave, but theres just enough interest to keep us in at the moment, much more and I think we'd both fcuk off. I've set 1st June as my D-Day, if I wake up on the wrong side of the bed that day, i'll PVR.

Back