• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Real World Rules

sumps

Sergeant
Gents, please, please, please for your sakes heed the very wise words of Riga and TW. I now work in an area that is showing large and embarrassing holes in RAF maintenance practises including the paper work. Only your professional diligence will stop the lawyer from spoiling your day.

With that in mind, I am not too sure how retrospective our signatures are? i.e. if you leave can they still follow you?

John Lloyd

Warrant Officer
Gents, please, please, please for your sakes heed the very wise words of Riga and TW. I now work in an area that is showing large and embarrassing holes in RAF maintenance practises including the paper work. Only your professional diligence will stop the lawyer from spoiling your day.

With that in mind, I am not too sure how retrospective our signatures are? i.e. if you leave can they still follow you?

Signature, complete with time and date= legally binding. Until superceeded.

BillyBunter

Techie & Proud
Well I have said where I worked a long time ago if the CAA came in and looked at our way of working we would have been grounded. The last few years has seen massive changes for the better tbh but I still think we should run the same way as the CAA. There is many loopholes like operation requirement etc etc etc I wont go on but a major change needs to happen to especially clarify for the engineers what exactley they are legally signing for.
We dont get paid that extra that we thought was insurance for doing a not really important job in many eyes but our own now. Warfighter first , anything else is second. If thats the way we are to work then things need clarifying , crikey certain jobs we do we are not sure if its IAW the JAP or the 2(R)1? Paperwork is pretty much outdated and to replace things costs too much money.

PTR Hoar

Sergeant
Unfortunitally i think the only way we are going to make the big boys wake up to the problems is to ground the fleet! It goes against every ethic we have but lets be perfectly honest, they don't care whats going on as long as they have serviceable jets on the line. I had a sengo tell me last week that "there is absolutely no RISK on someone below the rank of WO to make a jet serviceable" and as long as we did everything to the letter he would look after us, well hey ho if we did follow every single order and such the like he wouldn't have his bloody jets and i wonder how long until something is done about it!

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Signature, complete with time and date= legally binding. Until superceeded.

WRONG!!!!
WRONG!!!!
WRONG!!!!

The text you signed next to, as completing a job, should at the very least contain the phrase "IAW" and give a maintenance manual, repair manual, component manual or SI, STI, SB, AD, SEM, Mod or some other INSTRUCTION from an approved source, to something you actually did!

You can no longer sign it off as "Satis" or "completed" unless you put a reference with it.

And if 145 or M comes in your signatures on Jobcards will be kept until at least two years after the aircraft is scrapped!

Theat means you could still be "Done" after youve left the Service!

Think HARD and LONG before you sign your lives away!

Rigga

3wheeledtechie

Sergeant
You're so right Rigga. Some of the contractors the RAF is now using to maintain their aircraft are going for approval as Part 145 approved maintenance organisations (I think). There is MAOS in there as well somewhere. I remember chins dropping when it was quoted that paperwork would have to be kept for more than the life of the aircraft. They had run out of storage for the current paperwork, had no budget for a civilian company to electronically archive it, a previous attempt had failed due to the RAF's inability to agree an electronic standard for archiving on just this one platform, and to cap it all off, the legacy statistician posts who looked after it all, were being disestablished as PSF tried to claw back some manpower after the debacle of losing it all with the introduction of JPA.
The paperwork side (after getting the aircraft serviceable) is given low priority by the engineering management, who are forced to cajole or impose techies to work periods in docs cells - rarely a popular vocation. This is one area where the civvies excel, as they recognise how they could get hung drawn and quartered if its not given due prominence, and hence they resource it correctly.

matkat

SAC
Rigga, you are right I wrote the original basis of Mil 145 whilst at Raytheon (for the ASTOR) in 2006 and indeed the idea was that this (and the other civilian derivatives including the A400M) would be maintained under Mil 145, and the MAOS concept,the MEL was also to be used so I am at loss that this is not being done already or maybe it is but just on ASTOR, I would be interested to find out as left the ASTOR in 2007.

Back