• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Recce Pod, what is it?

foxvc10

Corporal
Anyone recognise this?
Recently purchased as Government Surplus for a small fee...just wondering what it is. I thought it was a Vinten Recce pod but its to big for that.

It was described as a Canberra Recce Pod...which it aint.

Attachments

• DSCF4857.JPG
    DSCF4857.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 0
P

pie sandwich

does the underside look like the one below, if so the it will be a Vicon camera pod

VICON18EO-IR.jpg

G

grumpyoldb

It doesn't look like the Jaguar or Phantom pods either.

foxvc10

Corporal
No windows like that Vinten pod on it. When i first saw it I thought baggage pod. Knew it wasnt Phantom as I remember they look like a shark.

Aint going to complain, it cost me more in shipping it to the warehouse than the bit.

Definitley long enough for skis, nothing in it however.

Allflapnofly

Corporal
No windows like that Vinten pod on it. When i first saw it I thought baggage pod. Knew it wasnt Phantom as I remember they look like a shark.

Aint going to complain, it cost me more in shipping it to the warehouse than the bit.

Definitley long enough for skis, nothing in it however.

Is it full of napalm?.....

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Looks a bit like a Harrier recce pod or maybe a GR3 fuel tank (hard to see from the pictures)?

Does it feel heavy like theres actually something inside it?

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
How true.
Canberras did not do that sort of thing. They were made for the job (PR, BI, etc..)

You say that, but the Canberra was used for loads and loads of trials as it was a really durable platform. Maybe it was a one off trial pod. I know that there is a one off Raptor pod with no gubbins in it or external stuff that was used for aerodynamic testing whilst they were developing it.

Anyone recognise this?
Recently purchased as Government Surplus for a small fee...just wondering what it is. I thought it was a Vinten Recce pod but its to big for that.

It was described as a Canberra Recce Pod...which it aint.

Errrrr............excuse me asking.............................but what exactly are you intending to do with this?????

Do you have the worlds largest mantlepiece?:pDT_Xtremez_19:

foxvc10

Corporal
My business is buying government surplus and then:

I try and sell it for as much as I can get on the open market (aircraft parts mostly but I do try and get the tools as well). Can be VERY profitable.

If after a few years no sniff's and I know its not going to sell I try and sell it onto the spotters.

If I cant sell it, I then try and exchange for something the spotter (museum or individual) may have that I may be able to sell on

If they arent interested it says hello to Mr Scrap Bin.

Got loads of stuff......bought four 40 footers of Canberra stuff a few years back for £2000........pulled anything potentially saleable on the open market and stored properly. Prob sold £5000 worth from that.

With the Canberra specific stuff I started selling that on e-bay and that has paid for the package and shipping fees. Not many left flying now so there was no point in keeping it.

Fair amount has gone in the scrap bin..when the price was high of course.

Sell on the packaging (cardboard, plastic and polystryene). Dont get much but it saves having to get rid of it myself.

Wont tell you how much I paid for a whole load of Harrier spares (early generation) then sold it on for.

Half the problem I have is trying to work out what the stuff is for so I can then make an educated guess as to where it should go.

Oh yeah im ex RAF TG9...just sort of fell into this...

No market outside for this I think....I will aim it at the spotters/museums I reckon.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Could be a training device, say a stripped out early generation Harrier recce pod used for 5A6 (weapon load) training or maybe instructional use at Cosford or similar.

foxvc10

Corporal
Air tools I keep for myself or sell straight away,,,so none at the moment.

rivet blocks scrapped a whole load a year ago, no more at the moment... got some of the pin holder (screwy turny things) somewhere.. no guarantee that I can find them.. Loads of rivets as well..

if i get any in I shall let you know.

fourteen2two

Corporal
Not a Harrier Recce Pod as they have a removal panel at the front and you would see the camera doors either side. Jag pod is much bigger!:pDT_Xtremez_25: