• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Red Arrows Moving to Leeming

C

Cat of Shadows

Leeming or Bust

Leeming or Bust

Sounds plausible, I've heard through the grapevine that the comms hub piece at Scampton is in some doubt and that Leeming may well be the solution??

Flopsie

LAC
I was a bit miffed yesterday 'cause I heard that Leeming will be closing down and was planning to go there in 5 years or so. What's going on :confused:

C

Cat of Shadows

Flopsie said:
I was a bit miffed yesterday 'cause I heard that Leeming will be closing down and was planning to go there in 5 years or so. What's going on :confused:

Not sure to be honest, I only picked my tit bit up through a 3rd party yesterday, but they're generally reliable and in a good position of knowledge. Needless to say I will be doing some further digging of my own, but if I here anymore that appears to be substantial and not just general tittle-tattle I'll let you know.

Last edited:
R

Regie Mental

Rumour I heard is that the cost of upgrading Scampers is too prohibitive. Many of the buildings have asbestos and will need to be gutted and renovated at great cost. Accordingly rumour is to leave 100 Sqn where they are and move Reds to Leeming along with TCW.

We had a visit by the Air Sec last week and he said that the initial costing of upgrading Scampton was scaled at around £40M but in reality is looking to be around the £120M mark, therefore, although nothing was definate as yet, Leeming was the best option they had.
Other than that he just waffled on in the manner of a Politician in a Blue suit!! No surprise there really.

Flopsie

LAC
Christmas is coming soon so maybe if we all wish hard enough Santa will bring us a brand new airfield, near the coast , with affordable housing nearby, next to a brewery and an international sports stadium... :rolleyes:

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
Flopsie said:
Christmas is coming soon so maybe if we all wish hard enough Santa will bring us a brand new airfield, near the coast , with affordable housing nearby, next to a brewery and an international sports stadium... :rolleyes:

Keep clicking them heels Dorothy!! Oh and dont step on Toto

E

Enguineer

Article on Look North again tonight, there is to be another review of units moving to Scampton because of the costs involved.
I reckon its all down to the cost of renovating the buildings courtesy of English Heritage getting involved.

F

FiledIntuitively

Ministerial decision eagerly awaited by gleaming Leeming

Ministerial decision eagerly awaited by gleaming Leeming

AFAIK the Ministerial Announcement on the future of all things in the Scampton/Boulmer/Sealand/Leeming debacle is due to happen later this month. But then we've heard dates bandied around many times before. I wonder if the people who are looking at Scampton have worked out how much the new patch will cost, and where the Waddington commuters who will get kicked out of quarters there will go.

My money is on a future for Leeming, even if only as a satellite for the Catterick Pongo Super Garrison (spits in disgust). Probably some daft name like Algernon Barracks!

Flopsie said:
We'd probably spend millions on it and then hand it over to the brown jobs or the rockapes anyway, a la Bruggen, Honington, Chivenor, Gutersloh::p:

A

A CLING NERD SHRON

That maybe the case, however RAF Honington isn't closing and the RAF Regiment have been there for many years. But this thread is called Red Arrows Moving to Leeming.
Also Chivenor was handed over to the Royal Marines who really aren't brown jobs, more like a greeny colour.