• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rotorless helicopter tail

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
Was watching Police Interceptors on CH5 tonight and found out that the South Yorkshire police helicopter hasn't got a tail rotor. Now from what very very little knowledge I have on helicopter airframes I thought that the tail rotor prevented the helicopter from just spinning round and round as seen in countless films, take out the rail and it spins to the floor and crashes. Is this witchcraft with South Yorkshire police? Anyone able to explain in Kamenskoye terms?

JTforever

Corporal
Air is forced through and out the end of the tail boom. This counteracts the rotation, in the same way as a tail rotor. Lots of Helicopters use this system.

Its the NOTAR system. No Tail Rotor. It uses efflux from the helicopters gas turbine engine to offset the torque created by the rotor head. Controlled at the end of the tail boom harrier style with jets of air.

Good for civvy use when dealing with numptys with no cab experience walking upto the cab innocently.
No use whatsoever in 40C+ temps as the higher the OAT (Outside Air Temprature) the lower the performance of a gas turbine engine.
This system uses a considerable portion of the engines power post combustion, in normal turbo shaft engines post combustion engine module is deisgned to squeeze out every last drop of shaft horsepower, but in this case some energy needs to be used for NOTAR.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
"...It uses efflux from the helicopters gas turbine engine..."

Incorrect, it uses a fan driven from the main gearbox to blow outside air down the Tail Boom.

Hughes Helicopters proved their concept using a purchased fenestron fan from an AS Gazelle as that was the right size (on a converted Hughes 500 at the time) for the Boom's width.

Original concept only had the steering mechanism at the end of the Boom - but this was later supplemented by the, now common, Blown-Air slot down the Port side of the boom.

8:15fromOdium

Sergeant
Rotodyne was a missed opportunity. I think the main issue was with noise, but there were measures in place to overcome that. It is interesting to compare the Rotodyne to the V-22 Osprey. Very similar in size, but the V-22 carries less. Although it is faster and has better range, but considering we are nearly 60 years on it is not that much better. Perhaps it is time to have another look at the Rotodyne aircraft type.

topstop

Corporal
The Eurocopter X3 has its port and stbd propulsion props running at different speed to counter rotor torque.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I wonder if the MoD project teams have considered doing away with tail rotors and anti-torque measures altogether, and simply training aircrews with a high tolerance for fast rotational speeds under flight conditions?

As for any passengers, it would then be a simple matter to equip winchies with a mop and a roll of kimwipe and cleaning up any resultant gastro-intestinal reflux fluids, once the (very) grateful grunts had succesfully egresed the aircraft.

Rotodyne was a missed opportunity. I think the main issue was with noise, but there were measures in place to overcome that. It is interesting to compare the Rotodyne to the V-22 Osprey. Very similar in size, but the V-22 carries less. Although it is faster and has better range, but considering we are nearly 60 years on it is not that much better. Perhaps it is time to have another look at the Rotodyne aircraft type.

It was indeed the noise that made it unattractive to prospective buyers even after the quieter rotor tip jets were installed. The main idea behind the aircraft was city centre to city centre commuter flights and it was just too loud.

Add in the Sandys report and the subsequent take over of Fairey's by Westland as part of the rationalisation of the UK aviation manufacturing base and it was prime for cancellation. Some say it was the civvy version of TSR2 as all the jigs etc were destroyed very quickly by Westland but I don't think it was anything more sinister than a need for space in the factory.

You could point the finger at BEA dithering at placing an order killing it commercially, but the yanks were really keen on a licence build if the noise problem could be mitigated and the USMC were positively howling the place down for a VTOL heavy lift with a decent long range (Something they had to wait a long time after Rotodyne was binned for the less capable V22 Osprey to arrive).

Alas it was in reality another failure to capitalise (and lack of funding one could argue) on Great British innovation.

I always find it ironic that Harold Wilson gave a speech on technology in 1964 in which he talked of a "Britain that is going to be forged in the white heat of this revolution will be no place for restrictive practices or for outdated measures on either side of industry". And then presided over the systematic decline of British industrial expertise (Yes I do know that Rotodyne was cancelled in '62 when the nation was under the Tories).

Jimps

sumps

Sergeant
As another aside...the helicopter is the triumph of engineering over commonsense! Off Topic:PDT_Xtremez_30:

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Morse,

It's a "Kaman" Husky - not Hughes.
Kaman is still making helicopters (with a similar counter-rotating Rotor arrangement) is still going strong in many countries.
The Kaman K-Max is well known for its lifting ability and has also been converted to a UAS for US Navy "VertRep" missions.

Another Kaman success was (the USN and RAAN) Seasprite - only recently retired from service after quite a while with both those navies.

Back