• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rotorless helicopter tail

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
A helicopter is machine designed to remind the absent minded that they should have taken a dump after breakfast.

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
Air is forced through and out the end of the tail boom. This counteracts the rotation, in the same way as a tail rotor. Lots of Helicopters use this system.

Good grief! S Yorks coppers have farting choppers, whatever next?

:PDT_Xtremez_44:Now That's Funny:drunk:

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
...I'm sure I could make that tail work...

The Video of Blade movement during flight (The Wal's post, above) is NOT of an Aluminium, Steel or Carbon Fibre Rotor Blade...its a wooden one.

It's actually from Westlands own library and is of a Sycamore helicopter Circa 1950. (And not bad for the time and technology)

Teh Wal

Flight Sergeant

It's actually from Westlands own library and is of a Sycamore helicopter Circa 1950. (And not bad for the time and technology)
Cant be a Sycamore, the tail rotor is on the wrong side. Might be a Skeeter though, metal main spar with wooden ribs covered in a fabric skin. The tail rotor blades (if it is a Skeeter) were all wood construction though. That might explain the german narration as the Jerries had a few for their navy and army.

Hmm, having said that I just realised that the head is turning in the wrong direction for it to be either a Skeeter or a Sycamore.

Last edited:

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Yeah, you spotted that the film was reversed for some reason - probably because the developer didn't know what he was looking at?

Believe me - its a wooden blade and spar assembly. I think it was this whipping motion that decided Westlands not to continue with those materials.

p.s. - The Herman Navy had Sycamore's too.

Last edited:

Teh Wal

Flight Sergeant
I'm cant deny that it is a wooden blade (I believe they were reliable and popular blades unless soaked with water) and it would certainly be a 'reversed film' as long as we are looking at the trailing edge rather than leading edge, so might be a Skeeter if that's the case - the tail pylon/head still suggests Skeeter to me. I feel a call to a certain Yeovil based training dept might be in order to seek confirmation of certain things :PDT_Xtremez_15:

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
I'm cant deny that it is a wooden blade (I believe they were reliable and popular blades unless soaked with water) and it would certainly be a 'reversed film' as long as we are looking at the trailing edge rather than leading edge, so might be a Skeeter if that's the case - the tail pylon/head still suggests Skeeter to me. I feel a call to a certain Yeovil based training dept might be in order to seek confirmation of certain things :PDT_Xtremez_15:

I inherited that video from someone who said was a puma blade.
I also have it in a theory of flight video from the 60's, so it can't be a puma!!

I'm pretty sure that the camera is looking down the leading edge, see the curvature of the cuff end and the way the blade twists.

Back