• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Same Old Same Old

M

Mickwreay

I decided to get 2 of the massive Wolf Lights out, you know the ones, they can burn your retinas out from 400 yards. After just three minutes both had packed up.

Wobbly, this is the link for the Dragon T12 you are talking about. Download the care guide & let the stores lads read it. We used them for years on Chinnys & Tornado & if looked after they do work well. They must be regularly discharged fully & then given a minimum of 20 hours, so all you do is get a few charging tags & give some guidence to the pups!

http://www.civil-defence.org/Dragon Lights_T12.html

PS. it was warm inside!!!!!

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Having used the green right-angled torch for many years, I reckon they are great, given a decent bulb and good batteries. I'm surprised there hasn't been a "conversion kit" to replace that damned glim with a bright LED though.

theladf

Cynic & Conspiracy Theorist
You have opened a can of worms here, I recall being at Bruggen and finding almost all the torches fcuked most of the time. The problem being that there seemed to be an endless supply of 3v rated bulbs, great for 2-cell torches but absolutely brilliant for 3-cells!!!!!!! (brilliant for a brief moment of time). I did have the argument with our suppliers and said can we get 4.5v bulbs FFS however there was no number, no-one would LPO any when there were trillions of 3v bulbs in the system AAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH:raf:

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Petzl Intrinsically Safe Head Torches Tikka XP Atex

Now thats the torch we all need. Pricey at nearly 60 notes but looks robust as hell and its intrinsically safe.
Think of the cost savings of less batteries, bulbs, torch keys, temper tantrum-thrown across the pan-broken torches!

Mag lites clamped in the teeth are allright, well unless you are like a lecky I know and you managed to jam it into some lecky box and shocked yourself!!

Teh Wal

Flight Sergeant
I've seen LED head torches on tool kits. They arent amazingly bright but they're better than those sh1tty yellow jobbers.
The problem though is that they are effectively next to skin items and as such they should really be issued individually. There in lies the problem.....how do you implement tool control effectively?....
We've got 26 of them in our toolkit, all marked with the individual workers name. It's a method that seems to meet both H & S and tool control requirements.

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
We've got 26 of them in our toolkit, all marked with the individual workers name. It's a method that seems to meet both H & S and tool control requirements.

Oh my how LEAN are you lot? Any JEngO worth his salt would get that changed what an easy shot to impress SEngO with...lol:PDT_Xtremez_42:

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber

Nicely done.
Are they the ones with black and yellow headbands that you press the button three times for all 6 LEDs to come on?

Penguins Suck

Snap yous spine
1000+ Posts
well, I've now been in the mob over 22 years (but still have another 10 months to do for the queen) and some things never change.

I was out on the line at 2am on Monday morning beavering away to get the next days program sorted when torch after torch kept failing. Now in true tradition the RAF seem to buy the most useless torches and wonder why they are always bollocking the lads for illegal tools (torches being the main culprit.)

After losing my rag after 6 torches failing in just 20 minutes I decided to get 2 of the massive Wolf Lights out, you know the ones, they can burn your retinas out from 400 yards. After just three minutes both had packed up.

So, after 8 torches failing and working in -4 degrees in fecking snow blizzards on a stand 10 feet in the air in flaming darkness I wondered why my mag lights never seems to **** me about as much.

So if anyone that is in the precurement side of things is out there and you deal with torches. Either get Maglite to produce a 'flame safe' torch for us or stay the feck out of my way or you may get a useless piece of useless fecking plastic with batteries in shoved up your arrse....and i don't mean a flaming dildo.

right listen in yous wobbly bloke yous is thic as mints. yous shud do what i do i dont use thems torches i use a candle and mines bic lighter

Mug?

Flight Sergeant
Its the batteries?

Its the batteries?

We all know how pants the batteries we get are.
Mine run out before I even get to turn my MP3 player/ camera/ kids toys on.

They work ok in the work clock. for a abit and only need changing every time the clocks go back/ forward.

Shugster

Warrant Officer
right listen in yous wobbly bloke yous is thic as mints. yous shud do what i do i dont use thems torches i use a candle and mines bic lighter

Funny you should say that PS. I remember a CPL getting his lighter out so we could see the accumulator gauge in the Harrier mainwheel bay. :PDT_Xtremez_17:

I think that was the biggest H&S 'Faux Pas' I have ever seen.:PDT_Xtremez_31:

D

dodgysootie

Head torches are the way forward, especially when your running up a hill dragging an old car tyre, they even fit with your respirator on.

DS

Teh Wal

Flight Sergeant
Are they the ones with black and yellow headbands that you press the button three times for all 6 LEDs to come on?
Sadly no: can't remember the manufacturer off the top of my head but they have a black body with a 3-legged black harness, a rubber-sealed single press button on the side with either on or off as the illuminatory options :S

Rikster

Sergeant
Funny you should say that PS. I remember a CPL getting his lighter out so we could see the accumulator gauge in the Harrier mainwheel bay. :PDT_Xtremez_17:

I think that was the biggest H&S 'Faux Pas' I have ever seen.:PDT_Xtremez_31:

The biggest H&S "Faux Pas" You ever saw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shug you must have gone around with your eyes closed.............or maybe you never did enough work!:PDT_Xtremez_30:

E

elnino

well, I've now been in the mob over 22 years (but still have another 10 months to do for the queen) and some things never change.

I was out on the line at 2am on Monday morning beavering away to get the next days program sorted when torch after torch kept failing. Now in true tradition the RAF seem to buy the most useless torches and wonder why they are always bollocking the lads for illegal tools (torches being the main culprit.)

After losing my rag after 6 torches failing in just 20 minutes I decided to get 2 of the massive Wolf Lights out, you know the ones, they can burn your retinas out from 400 yards. After just three minutes both had packed up.

So, after 8 torches failing and working in -4 degrees in fecking snow blizzards on a stand 10 feet in the air in flaming darkness I wondered why my mag lights never seems to **** me about as much.

So if anyone that is in the precurement side of things is out there and you deal with torches. Either get Maglite to produce a 'flame safe' torch for us or stay the feck out of my way or you may get a useless piece of useless fecking plastic with batteries in shoved up your arrse....and i don't mean a flaming dildo.

Wobbly, have a look at MSA GALLET, I use one attached to my fire helmet ( no pish takin please) instead of the cr@ppy yellow right angled ones on the appliances, has a diffused led so again is better than issued tosh.

Back