• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Senior Officers

• Thread starter Thread starter Per Adua Ad PVR
  • Start date Start date

Senior Officers

• They are the backbone of the RAF, God Bless 'um!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They are too frightened to speak up and defend the cause!

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • They are marking time till Pension and don't care.

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • Never seen a Senior Officer since the Cold War.

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters
P

Per Adua Ad PVR

So, the latest payscales have hit SROs.

Do Senior Officer merit their daily pay or are they just marking time to top up their pensions and retire?

Discuss.

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
I've not seen SROs, can you give us an idea what their new pay rates are?

To answer your question, it's all relative. I compare my paltry £27K to what CDS gets and it looks pretty bad. On the other hand, when I look outside at a common or garden HR Officer I don't do that badly. A CEO of a civilian company with 200,000 employees spread around the world can expect to earn 5 (or more) times what CDS gets.

P

Per Adua Ad PVR

These are only the tea makers at HQ and don't include Flying Pay and retention bonuses!!!!!:PDT_Xtremez_03:

Air Commodore
4 Years
Level 5

3 Years
Level 4

2 Years
Level 3

1 Years
Level 2

On Appt
Level 1

Gp Capt

Group Captain
8 Years
Level 9

7 Years
Level 8

6 Years
Level 7

5 Years
Level 6

4 Years
Level 5

3 Years
Level 4

2 Years
Level 3

1 Years
Level 2

On Appt
Level 1

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
If you think thats disheartening Level one Flt Lt Dr/Dentist 133 pound a day not bad eh. Yep they may have gone to med school but lets face it the med centre at most units is no where near as busy as being in the NHS no wonder they take the money and join.

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
If you think thats disheartening Level one Flt Lt Dr/Dentist 133 pound a day not bad eh. Yep they may have gone to med school but lets face it the med centre at most units is no where near as busy as being in the NHS no wonder they take the money and join.

I think you'll find that med-centre doc's are equivalent to GPs who earn much more.

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
These are only the tea makers at HQ and don't include Flying Pay and retention bonuses!!!!!:PDT_Xtremez_03:

I dont have a problem with senior officers earning a good salary. A Gp Capt on a large flying station, massive responsibility, manpower perhaps in the thousands controlling a budget in the tens of millions. Worth every penny in my book. My problem is that there seems to be so many of them filling staff jobs. Will the lean machine ever hit the Officer cadre?

atech?

LAC
the AVM for pay and personnel told a captive audience 3 weeks ago that getting bombed in Kabul was charracter building.

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
I think you'll find that med-centre doc's are equivalent to GPs who earn much more.

Went through SERE with aload of Docs they have only just qualified the ones that come in as GP's get Sqn Ldr and 50 grand sweetner

Meathead

LAC
I dont have a problem with senior officers earning a good salary. A Gp Capt on a large flying station, massive responsibility, manpower perhaps in the thousands controlling a budget in the tens of millions. Worth every penny in my book. My problem is that there seems to be so many of them filling staff jobs. Will the lean machine ever hit the Officer cadre?

I agree with your sentiments entirely! As a pondlife shop floor worker I want a good leader at the front, if he is well paid..crack on good luck to him (her!!).

Wasnt there a letter doing the rounds a while back saying that there was something like 414 Group Captains???.......call me a cynic but have we ever had 414 groups??? I just know that about 80% are flying a desk at Innsworth

LEAN??? FFS Get a grip, do it where its required

Chaka

Sergeant

Agreed, front line Gp Capts do earn their dosh. However,I do think there needs to be a cull/clearout of some of the deadwood that appears to be floating around IPTs, HQs and Staff Colleges. :PDT_Xtremez_21:

R

rodger-dodger

Money

Money

All the money in the world would not be enough, to deal with the Shiser some of these boys deal with,:PDT_Xtremez_17: Admittedly some of them are complete waste of spaces and live for their pensions, sponging executive hospitality dinners etc. I know for a fact that some are passionate and totally committed to the cause.:PDT_Xtremez_30:

Feck me, am I going soft.:raf:

fileeth

Corporal
From what i understand (please correct me if i'm wrong - as i'm sure some of you will) when the the officers have reached air rank and retire they will receive a pension equivalent to their full pay packet so the RAF might as well get some work out of them if you're paying them any way.

If only i could retire on full pay!!!???:PDT_Xtremez_21:

R

rodger-dodger

What gets me is that some 2-stars are moaning that they should get X factor due to the occasional visit to the desert!

Along with the extraordinary percentage of officers and airmen who have never seen an OOA in a career spaning decades:PDT_Xtremez_25:

TrenchardsLoveSock

Flight Sergeant
The problem is that the bad ones are absolutely, shockingly poor.

And, due to the dizzy heights they have reached, they can have a massive impact on the RAF.

The tw4t(s) who ran with LEAN (badly) and the "Just in time" supply contracts are perfect examples.::/: :PDT_Xtremez_25:

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
From what i understand (please correct me if i'm wrong - as i'm sure some of you will) when the the officers have reached air rank and retire they will receive a pension equivalent to their full pay packet so the RAF might as well get some work out of them if you're paying them any way.

That only applies to former CAS/CDS, and is because even after they hang up their uniforms they are frequently called in by the Government to do consultancy type stuff. I don't agree with it, I think they shpuld be paid pro rata but that is the justification.

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Along with the extraordinary percentage of officers and airmen who have never seen an OOA in a career spaning decades:PDT_Xtremez_25:

Wholly agreed - and the proof is in the pudding. One might expect an individual with air rank and lots of letters after their name to have a breast full of medals - well perhaps a sneak preview of Tossfords Intranet management image indicates that not all is as it seems, - didn't we have SACs getting that same singular medal, - it was about the last thing the RAF has for a time qualified return.
Nest feathering anyone?

Realist78

Master of my destiny

Have a look in AP3392 on the intranet and you can see what pensions the airships get, it ain't full pay but it's still a wedge and a half!:PDT_Xtremez_26:

Back