• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

sh#te engines

Anyone else out there on the tonka fleet been having major problems with sh#te engines that are u/s on fit with **** poor advice from their RR reps. We've been having major problems up here with u/s on fit donks with crap advice from RR getting us to change all sorts of bits twice before letting us have another donk which will have its own problems. This is no way a slagging of the bays cos I know they have their hands tied when it comes to certain things but just recently it has been becoming a joke.

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Stop crying you soft grease monkey....
"Ooooh I had a US on Fit today my worlds going to end"
FFS us fairys have een playing the us on fit game for years and you don't hear us complain (much) no we just blindly ignore any other symptom and keep changing the same box until it works it's not hard.
And come on one MECU/DECU and a Donk isn't much of a system is it even an armourer can half split that system.

I know the feeling about u/s on fits don't you have a special rejection certificate that ensures all your bits are a lot better documented than the fairys?

E

enginesuck

To be fair with a us on fit box its only a case of a couple of plugs and maybe a bolt or two a u/s on fit engine take a little more spannering ....

W

Wonky Tonka

I've heard about the hassles the Sooties are having with U/S on fit engines.
Not wanting to start a fight, but wasn't everything so much better when each MOB had an Engine Bay?

I think the current record is 3 off the bounce for u/s on fit donks up here in the wastelands..........

theladf

Cynic & Conspiracy Theorist
Stop crying you soft grease monkey....
"Ooooh I had a US on Fit today my worlds going to end"
FFS us fairys have een playing the us on fit game for years and you don't hear us complain (much) no we just blindly ignore any other symptom and keep changing the same box until it works it's not hard.
And come on one MECU/DECU and a Donk isn't much of a system is it even an armourer can half split that system.

I know the feeling about u/s on fits don't you have a special rejection certificate that ensures all your bits are a lot better documented than the fairys?

Don't interfere in mans work!!!! go and do your nails:PDT_Xtremez_31:

Cake or Death

Flight Sergeant

Just don't tell the sooties about RR's bonus scheme for kicking out engines :PDT_Xtremez_06:

When i was at the mighty (sorry ****ey) TPF we heard that the bonuses ranged from 700-1500 quid a month/xmas depending how high in the food chain you were. and i think RR's donation for the xmas draw amounted to about 200 quid of beer a cap, watch, and a picture of an rb199

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
no we just blindly ignore any other symptom and keep changing the same box until it works it's not hard.

Yes I remember coming into work on a Monday many moons ago with no spares on the shelf thanks to that logic. After the 4th or 5th box, perhaps it time stop and throw the chicken bones again.

Bitburger

England 2010 Campaign
1000+ Posts
I've heard about the hassles the Sooties are having with U/S on fit engines.
Not wanting to start a fight, but wasn't everything so much better when each MOB had an Engine Bay?

I think the current record is 3 off the bounce for u/s on fit donks up here in the wastelands..........
As an ex test bed type, Laarbruch and Bruggen what the fcuk is the UETF doing?

M

monobrow

It was a while ago I heard it, and when the sooties heard it they went fnucking mental. But the grapevine alluded to rumours of pay offs to RR managers for "meeting targets". Them targets most would think would be of highest quality, but instead it was quantity. We had jets that had an engine in for 10 F/H before it needed dropping again, and about the same after that, and it started happening all over the shop.

:PDT_Xtremez_42:

W

Wonky Tonka

As far as I am aware, they arrive on unit, go via PST for unpacking and pre-issue checks and then get issued to the squadrons.

Don't think our UETF has been run in anger for over 18mths now.

(Bearing in mind I'm not a sootie so I stand to be corrected.)

Realist78

Master of my destiny
As far as I am aware, they arrive on unit, go via PST for unpacking and pre-issue checks and then get issued to the squadrons.

Don't think our UETF has been run in anger for over 18mths now.

(Bearing in mind I'm not a sootie so I stand to be corrected.)

They get run on the only UETF left, at Marham. They don't need running when they get to Lossie. As an ex UETF bod at Lossie, I see the result of the short cuts, one of them is for RR to sanction a jet pipe change in PST, then to simply install the engine with no UETF run. When I was on the test bed, we could fail a test for not meeting boost ratio, it would go back to the shed for a jet pipe change and then retest, not so in these cost cutting days, standards are going down the swanney!

Cake or Death

Flight Sergeant
They get run on the only UETF left, at Marham. They don't need running when they get to Lossie. As an ex UETF bod at Lossie, I see the result of the short cuts, one of them is for RR to sanction a jet pipe change in PST, then to simply install the engine with no UETF run. When I was on the test bed, we could fail a test for not meeting boost ratio, it would go back to the shed for a jet pipe change and then retest, not so in these cost cutting days, standards are going down the swanney!

Yep i second that about the boost ratio. I know that when i was at tpf marham in exhaust bay if on failed for boost ratio theyused to drop the 15 into us then we would change the reheat core and then the 15 would toddle of to be refitted and go back to uetf. but just as i was leaving a boost ratio would be a straight 15 change then who knows. I also heard that a engine that just needed a 1 or a 15 change to make it serviceable would just get that bit changed and then out the door to the sqns. unfortunatelt the only thing this helps is RR target meeting and fat cat bonuses not the tonka sooties. Dont blame the over worked over stressed sooties in TPF to much its concessions up the ying yang

theladf

Cynic & Conspiracy Theorist
I work for RR, not on military engines, although I have two tours as a tonka sootie, 3 yrs at EROS Saints (with Wobbly) and a stint in the 15 bay under my belt. What I suspect is happening is that one of the Airships has asked how to cut costs per engine even further, and therefore has maybe unwittingly created the current situation. I know what civil customers will do if we provide them with sh!tty engines, 1. they won't pay, 2. they will demand compo for delays etc. I suspect that another fine cost cutting measure by the MOD has yet again bittten us on the @rse. At my last posting (not RB199) IPT decided to close the bay and send all repair work back to the manufacturer. Thereby incurring transit costs of $5000 and test costs of $10000 before anyone even took a spanner to the engine itself. this was supposed to save £ 1 million per year. One of the repair bills they incurred was over 90% of the value of a new engine. :raf:

I know what civil customers will do if we provide them with sh!tty engines, 1. they won't pay, 2. they will demand compo for delays etc

The engines RR supply for some of our aircraft (RB211-535E4B & Trent 772B) and the support service received are second to none. In fact, the RR motors are some of the most reliable in our fleet.

Got to agree with theladf, I suspect cost cutting has started to backfire. If the MOD are not prepared to pay the market rate the end product and level of service received will suffer.

Indded tho I suspect the civil RR contracts are watertight, whereas some orificer with no training will have negotiated the MOD's which will leave RR untouchable too.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
Yep i second that about the boost ratio. I know that when i was at tpf marham in exhaust bay if on failed for boost ratio theyused to drop the 15 into us then we would change the reheat core and then the 15 would toddle of to be refitted and go back to uetf. but just as i was leaving a boost ratio would be a straight 15 change then who knows. I also heard that a engine that just needed a 1 or a 15 change to make it serviceable would just get that bit changed and then out the door to the sqns. unfortunatelt the only thing this helps is RR target meeting and fat cat bonuses not the tonka sooties. Dont blame the over worked over stressed sooties in TPF to much its concessions up the ying yang

Now I thought that a jetpipe cx was gash, but surely they haven't sanctioned a LP comp cx without runs? I haven't heard of it in my (nearly) 26 years of Tonka working. What about Fan flutter checks, vibration, thrust, etc etc:raf:

The Bowmeister

Darkside Jedi Master
The engines RR supply for some of our aircraft (RB211-535E4B & Trent 772B) and the support service received are second to none. In fact, the RR motors are some of the most reliable in our fleet.

Got to agree with theladf, I suspect cost cutting has started to backfire. If the MOD are not prepared to pay the market rate the end product and level of service received will suffer.

Have no prob's with the RB211-524-b4's fitted to the Tristar Fleet, and the RR Reps are second to none. Then again our Donk's are fixed at RR derby on the same line as all the civvy airline engines. :PDT_Xtremez_19:

Back