• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

sh#te engines

Rikster

Sergeant
The engines RR supply for some of our aircraft (RB211-535E4B & Trent 772B) and the support service received are second to none. In fact, the RR motors are some of the most reliable in our fleet.

Got to agree with theladf, I suspect cost cutting has started to backfire. If the MOD are not prepared to pay the market rate the end product and level of service received will suffer.

I'm with you on that one, all our 777's have RR on them!
Its not often I have to open a cowling!
Which is how I like it!:PDT_Xtremez_30:

having spoken to many of the bods coming up here from marham tpf to do their falklands training, i know it is purely a money issue that is causing these problems. i just think that it s a p#ss take that i have to get someone from the bay who is less experienced than me on the type to tell me that my diagnosis is correct and that the donk is knackered and that we can have a new donk thats only got 20 hrs on it and has a history of hunting, because thats all theyve got in the bay. i cant remember the last time we got a full life engine.

mild mannered janitor

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
the problem at the moment at marham is that we are run by civvies who are only after one thing? profit! imagine the frustration of having to follow the directives of these cnuts lets face it after 8 years in the bay you would think i know my stuff but no ::P:
after that amount of time you would think i was qualified to decide what made something u/s but RR just keep upping the limits!!!!
guess its got someting to do with the ROCKET contract between RR and the air force
(did i mention that said contract was thought up by our civvie boss! an ex sqn leader!!!)
more and more it seem like people are bowing to the demands of RR
i work in the engine bay and i say fcuk them quality not quantity.
i hope i dont stand alone:PDT_Xtremez_28: :PDT_Xtremez_28: :PDT_Xtremez_28:

Realist78

Master of my destiny
the problem at the moment at marham is that we are run by civvies who are only after one thing? profit! imagine the frustration of having to follow the directives of these cnuts lets face it after 8 years in the bay you would think i know my stuff but no ::P:
after that amount of time you would think i was qualified to decide what made something u/s but RR just keep upping the limits!!!!
guess its got someting to do with the ROCKET contract between RR and the air force
(did i mention that said contract was thought up by our civvie boss! an ex sqn leader!!!)
i hope i dont stand alone:PDT_Xtremez_28: :PDT_Xtremez_28: :PDT_Xtremez_28:

By coincidence I was listening to a brief by the same man and his BAe bedpartners this very afternoon. Now, I reckon I might know a bit about Tonka, especially on the engine front (coming up to 26 years at 1st & 2nd line) and the drivel and nice graphs that came out were, unsurprisingly, defended to the hilt, especially from said ex Sqn Ldr who quite blatantly (after a question from Yours Truly) stated that procedures and limits had changed because, before ROCET, RR were contracted to sell us the spares. Now, they are contracted (and fecking incentivised!) to lower standards and keep engines on the 'wing' (my opinion), his were 'accept the increased risk'. So, whilst RR management are backslapping each other and receiving bonuses for lowering engineering standards (again, my opinion), RAF techies are forced to play along with hitherto gash standards. It's sh1te, I tell ya!:raf:

C

Captain Gatso

i hope i dont stand alone
:PDT_Xtremez_28: :PDT_Xtremez_28: :PDT_Xtremez_28:

Hear,hear:PDT_Xtremez_30: . I fully support you on that one. As someone who up until recently was in the bay I had seen quality standards on what was servicable or unservicable become a complete joke. I kid you not. This is not due to the techies on the shop floor doing a bad job, or even some of the RR engineers that are there, it's down to what was written in the contract. Everyone has had there hands tied effectivley. The place has been leaned to death and is nothing like what it was originally set up for. The yearly engine production forcasts change at a very fast rate and the bay has to constantly reinvent itself to cater for this. As one goater said what's the problem with one bay per MOB. I wish the RAF top brass had just kept the three main bays operating, because there are going to big problems if things carry on the way they are at the moment.::/:

duffman

Flight Sergeant
we're getting done in on the manpower front as well people get posted out with no replacements, we're considered a non priority for manpower down to 50% manning the last couple of weeks said the boss.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
Hear,hear:PDT_Xtremez_30: . I fully support you on that one. As someone who up until recently was in the bay I had seen quality standards on what was servicable or unservicable become a complete joke. I kid you not. This is not due to the techies on the shop floor doing a bad job, or even some of the RR engineers that are there, it's down to what was written in the contract. Everyone has had there hands tied effectivley. The place has been leaned to death and is nothing like what it was originally set up for. The yearly engine production forcasts change at a very fast rate and the bay has to constantly reinvent itself to cater for this. As one goater said what's the problem with one bay per MOB. I wish the RAF top brass had just kept the three main bays operating, because there are going to big problems if things carry on the way they are at the moment.::/:

Nothing wrong at all, in fact Lossie TPF was by a comfortable margin, the producer of far more engines, was a better bay to work in (for those not in the know, Marham TPF is ferkin 'orrible) and in a better location, only shut down because it wasn't near wyton etc.

mild mannered janitor

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Nothing wrong at all, in fact Lossie TPF was by a comfortable margin, the producer of far more engines, was a better bay to work in (for those not in the know, Marham TPF is ferkin 'orrible) and in a better location, only shut down because it wasn't near wyton etc.

i could't agree more i did three years at lossie engine bay 2000-2003 and enjoyed every day of it :PDT_Xtremez_30: i left for personal reasons but if it was still about i would gladly go back. i remember being there and regularly pushing out 30+ engines a month.
and by that i mean quality engines. (then again that was a raf run facility) :PDT_Xtremez_28:
the mighty profit makers had nothing to do with it.

rant over

for now :PDT_Xtremez_25:

Realist78

Master of my destiny
i could't agree more i did three years at lossie engine bay 2000-2003 and enjoyed every day of it :PDT_Xtremez_30: i left for personal reasons but if it was still about i would gladly go back. i remember being there and regularly pushing out 30+ engines a month.
and by that i mean quality engines. (then again that was a raf run facility) :PDT_Xtremez_28:
the mighty profit makers had nothing to do with it.

rant over

for now :PDT_Xtremez_25:

I obviously should know you since I was there 2000 - 2004.:PDT_Xtremez_40:

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Please forgive my asking, but I (innocently) thought that units (engines, radios, & anything) all had to be serviceable when supplied to the Bay.
Do I take there's a hitch in the system (again). ?

:PDT_Xtremez_25:

Pondy

LAC
I don't post very often but this one is close to my heart. The problem with the 199 fleet is if you build with sh1t components you'll get a gutless bag of sh*te at the end of the process.

Ever heard of "fix the fault"?
Old days donk comes in, gets stripped to pieces by night shift in one night. Days spend coulple of days examining and conditioning components, then spend next 4 days to rebuild with good seal clearences etc result ECU lasts 400 hrs before next overhaul (not great but better than moment)

The Lean machine. Donk rejected if "quick fix" mend that little bit, UETF if only absolutly necessary, chuck back out for the poor old sqn soots to fit and then remove only a few hrs later when the rest of the tired bits let go. RR answer 1 produced donk, arn't we gr8.
Pulse engine, only replace the bits that are totally f*&ked and leave the tired bits in.

It's a joke and the boys and gals in the engine room arn't HP either.

Its was my last tour within TPF that made my mind up not to sign on to LOS 30.

I'm alright though I was posted out.

Pondy

BillyBunter

Techie & Proud
Well its pretty much like the Kipper Fleets ageing Hydraulic componenets that at least with a guess are 50% US on fit, and the guys that fix em there are still in the service, just down to lack of experience and these are the places where it will hurts the most as its always mongs and less experienced people that go into the bay in the last few years I mean :PDT_Xtremez_15:

The sicknotes , the ones that cannot handle 1st line deployments yet sit here 24/7 on the goat moaning how crap there life is :)

Rememeber www.Moan-Goat.co.uk for the alternative :PDT_Xtremez_30:

uber pikey

Sergeant
I had an interesting chat with Rolls Royston today and they are aware of all the faults being pushed out on a servicable engine, there is no test bed here down south and there never will be, they say it is down to non essencial expense yet they also said that it will just be down to us(the customer) filing a report against them for not fulfilling their contract. On the same subject they(Rolls Royston) recieved an engine from their main engine builders as fully servicable post test bed with a harness, generator and other small components ROBBED, now I ask you how is that servicable????

Our engines go in with a fault which will get replaced and then shipped out with 'servicable subject to fit and functional check'. Its all round and round in circles.....I am dizzy now.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
I had an interesting chat with Rolls Royston today and they are aware of all the faults being pushed out on a servicable engine, there is no test bed here down south and there never will be, they say it is down to non essencial expense yet they also said that it will just be down to us(the customer) filing a report against them for not fulfilling their contract. On the same subject they(Rolls Royston) recieved an engine from their main engine builders as fully servicable post test bed with a harness, generator and other small components ROBBED, now I ask you how is that servicable????

Our engines go in with a fault which will get replaced and then shipped out with 'servicable subject to fit and functional check'. Its all round and round in circles.....I am dizzy now.

It's not just engines, or wasn't when I last did some MoD work. There's a fascinating piece of kit called a Gyro Table (goes back Years!), which is used in the checking of Gyroscopes and whatnot. The tables are quite complicated and have four meters (and not particularly good meters at that) which have to be calibrated (very few spares available).
Having rejected one that really didn'rt work and needed a strip down major service, a replacement was ordered. They are supposed ot come in a huge, locked transit container (stores threw a couple away on the annual bonfire, or so I was told), so the 'new' one arrived on a pallet and wrapped in Cardboard. It was labelled 'S'.

Opening it provided a new deffinition for what constitutes a Green Lable. The table was missing, the meters were broken and it was comeplete trash.

As usual. not a lot was done about it, let alone a real replacement.

Hey, at least some of the engines make it to UETF. The bay for our engines doesn't even have a test bed!! (Ok, it does, but it's in bits held by our RR rep as I think he can't get planning permission to put it up anywhere...) Budget's are the issue here, we're not even allowed to rip an engine off the wing before the RR rep has given the say so.

Spent 3 and half years in Marham TPF Shop floor, thankfully got out just before Lean hit big time. Admittedly some were quick fixes (Mod's 1, 15 and 16 if I remember?) but everything went through the test bed.

S

Supersooty

Ansty

Ansty

:PDT_Xtremez_30:

Fear not my fellow sooties. All will be resolved when TPF moves to Ansty and ex Peugeot car makers from Coventry start to build 199s!!!

Back