• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Silver/Gold Jubilee Medals

Ex-Splitter and Proud

Flight Sergeant
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/silvergold/

OK - goaters - what are your views on this petition?

Aimed as a no cost option to allow veterans who didn't qualify for Silver/Gold Jubilee Medals, well, anyone with 5 years in, but who dipped out by virtue of their exit date. At least it wouldn't be a stretch on the Defence Budget.

Having left in 2001 after 25 years in, I might give some thought to buying one... sad tw@t that I am (before you cnuts say it anyway). :pDT_Xtremez_15: Particularly if the proceeds went to Help for Heroes.

It would have to be better than those @rsewipes who seem to be nicking them from other goaters (as per Parky's recent thread).

At the time, it sort of irritated me that a load of smalleys with only 5 years in got the medal, purely on the basis of being "in Service" on 6 February 2002.

Before the abuse starts, I really hadn't given it much thought until I received the link by email... Well - you won't believe that... but I had to make my excuses, didn't I?

Anyway - I'm going to get in the nuclear bunker now, before the 'incoming' hits!:pDT_Xtremez_42:

Last edited:

litterman

SAC
Personally i think the jubilee medals are a farce .the paople were chosen a few from a init a few from the navy a few from the police fire service etc of course all the royal got both

flintwich

Corporal
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/silvergold/

OK - goaters - what are your views on this petition?

Aimed as a no cost option to allow veterans who didn't qualify for Silver/Gold Jubilee Medals, well, anyone with 5 years in, but who dipped out by virtue of their exit date. At least it wouldn't be a stretch on the Defence Budget.

Having left in 2001 after 25 years in, I might give some thought to buying one... sad tw@t that I am (before you cnuts say it anyway). :pDT_Xtremez_15: Particularly if the proceeds went to Help for Heroes.

It would have to be better than those @rsewipes who seem to be nicking them from other goaters (as per Parky's recent thread).

At the time, it sort of irritated me that a load of smalleys with only 5 years in got the medal, purely on the basis of being "in Service" on 6 February 2002.

Before the abuse starts, I really hadn't given it much thought until I received the link by email... Well - you won't believe that... but I had to make my excuses, didn't I?

Anyway - I'm going to get in the nuclear bunker now, before the 'incoming' hits!:pDT_Xtremez_42:

If you care to read the link, sign up deadline date was January 2009.

Having served from Oct 78 to Nov 01 I too feel peeved that "smallies" got the QJM and I was left gongless, however, I didn't fit the qualifying criteria.

Last edited:

Odie

Sergeant
I missed out on the Silver QJM because I was 14 and at school at the time, I find odd that I didn't receive mine just because I hadn't joined up at the time, is it worth me starting a petition to get one? :pDT_Xtremez_34:

On second thoughts, I really can't be bothered. :pDT_Xtremez_14:

shettie

Flight Sergeant
I missed out on the Silver QJM because I was 14 and at school at the time, I find odd that I didn't receive mine just because I hadn't joined up at the time, is it worth me starting a petition to get one? :pDT_Xtremez_34:

On second thoughts, I really can't be bothered. :pDT_Xtremez_14:

I think - more to the point - you missed out on the Silver jubilee medal because you weren't either a Warrant Officer or a Wing Commander! They were the only ones I ever saw witt themawarded!

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
Forget the Silver and Gold. There's not much you can do about it.

What we should be campaigning for is a Diamond Jubilee medal in 2012.

The big question is would you stay in just to receive it?

Mr MEng

LAC
Read somewhere recently on the subject of the diamond jubilee gong, the criteria of time served will be similar to that of the golden jubilee.

However those who already hold the golden gong will not be awarded the new one, they will instead recieve a bar to the golden gong.

TrickyTree

Sergeant
Read somewhere recently on the subject of the diamond jubilee gong, the criteria of time served will be similar to that of the golden jubilee.

However those who already hold the golden gong will not be awarded the new one, they will instead recieve a bar to the golden gong.
This is, indeed, following the precedent set by the criteria laid down for the award of the last Diamond Jubilee medal, that of the late Queen Victoria. However since as far as I am aware that is the only instance of a Diamond Jubilee medal being awarded it is a moot point as to how far this constitutes a precedent. For instance the OSM is now awarded as a separate medal for each campaign, whereas recent GSM's (GSM '62 in my case) were awarded as one initial award and a clasp for each subsequent campaign.
Personally i think the jubilee medals are a farce .the paople were chosen a few from a init a few from the navy a few from the police fire service etc of course all the royal got both
Illiteracy aside, it is interesting that you consider the personal gift of the Sovereign to be "a farce".

As for other posts, and the petition, unfortunately the words of Sir Winston Churchill were absolutely spot-on - "a medal glitters but it also casts a shadow"

D

Douglas Bader's Right Leg

Although I was miffed at missing out on the QGJM, because I hadn't been in the service long enough, I now quite like not having it. Having two campaign medals without the QGJM marks me as being part of a particular generation and allows me to laugh at senior officers who have the QGJM and nothing else.

I am looking forward to the Diamond Jubilee medal though.

R

ROTORHEAD

Gong

Gong

I think - more to the point - you missed out on the Silver jubilee medal because you weren't either a Warrant Officer or a Wing Commander! They were the only ones I ever saw witt themawarded!

As a sprog LAC rigger at Leuchars in the late 70s, 1 Silver Jubilee medal eventually came in the direction of VAS, to make things fair, we drew lots for it!

B

Bomb'ead

Not another medal to polish:S
I spend enough time every AFI, 11 Nov, and other parades cleaning the 9 I've already got. lol

UN Kosovo
UN Bosnia
Gulf 1
Gulf 2
Afghan
NI/GSM
Sierra Leone
Queens Golden Jubilee
LSGC

Not another medal to polish:S
I spend enough time every AFI, 11 Nov, and other parades cleaning the 9 I've already got. lol

UN Kosovo
UN Bosnia
Gulf 1
Gulf 2
Afghan
NI/GSM
Sierra Leone
Queens Golden Jubilee
LSGC

Are you entitled to this medal if you already have the QGJM? I heard you would get a bar ' 2012 ' for the QGJM.

tigster

LAC
Yes i agree with stansardlamp anything for free is a bonus, i just loved my anthrax was sick as a dog for days!:pDT_Xtremez_35: