• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

sinking ship

• Thread starter Thread starter redeye
  • Start date Start date
R

redeye

is it just me,or is the bottem falling out of the techie world.

no man power no spares and surge tasking how the fuk does that work. is it just us at brize or as i suspect raf wide?.

CTID

SAC
Sinking Ship

Sinking Ship

No you are a not alone, up here at ISK working weekends are a common theme on the ole rods.

To get a weekend off is a luxury.

Our lords and masters just keep pushing and think we can work around the clock so they can keep their flying pay current. Oh thats right they don't need to remain current for it do they, they get paid it regardless...

Out of 85 peeps on a shift we have on average 28 bods in working.

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
It's almost as if someone is increasing the gradient of the slope we are ascending, trying to stop us reaching the top. We'll never rise above the rest, we'll end up sliding down the slope when it becomes too steep!

We had a fire drill yesterday and I swear there were more aircrew than groundcrew out there. Could do with a hand sirs, any chance??!!

Realist78

Master of my destiny
No you are a not alone, up here at ISK working weekends are a common theme on the ole rods.

To get a weekend off is a luxury.

Our lords and masters just keep pushing and think we can work around the clock so they can keep their flying pay current. Oh thats right they don't need to remain current for it do they, they get paid it regardless...

Out of 85 peeps on a shift we have on average 28 bods in working.

Sounds about the same ratio at most places then, we have 125 on the shift out of which we get about 40 in work (including SNCOs). We keep hitting the targets though (at the expense of feeling like you live at work!).::/:

Craig855s

Sergeant
Sounds about the same ratio at most places then, we have 125 on the shift out of which we get about 40 in work (including SNCOs). We keep hitting the targets though (at the expense of feeling like you live at work!).::/:

I could type that,but i'll just say,yeah,that sounds just like us, the A shift fairy desk in 6 months will literally consist of 4 SACs,thats before leave,guard,Q,and other diversions.

C

ChavHater

I could type that,but i'll just say,yeah,that sounds just like us, the A shift fairy desk in 6 months will literally consist of 4 SACs,thats before leave,guard,Q,and other diversions.

Is that a ?? Sqn thing or L??????s in general? Posted to station soon so quite interested

Last edited by a moderator:

Craig855s

Sergeant
well its bad accross the whole RAF and l******s is apparently getting just as many PVRs as everywhere else,however, AOC was informed about %% as a lot of the PVRs were from us. 20 in 5 weeks

Last edited by a moderator:

T55

Sergeant
Problems?

Problems?

So what are the real problems? Working hours, quality of life, pay, jointery, world police force wars? Is there anyone out there who is computer literate enough to make up a poll on the reasons for dissatisfaction?

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
It's Redeyes thread so he gets the choice...Either (if he wants to!) he can do it or ask one of the MOD's to sort it out...

So what are the real problems? Working hours, quality of life, pay, jointery, world police force wars? Is there anyone out there who is computer literate enough to make up a poll on the reasons for dissatisfaction?

IMHO.............................

they thought cold wars over - lets get rid of stations,men and kit because we're not at war any more............................then promptly join any bunfight going, hiding behind the can do traditions of HM Forces, the knock on effect felt all the way back to the station barbours takings being down and most sections haven't got enough men available or permitted to have a afternoon of for a CO's cup footy match.
depressing.

C

ChavHater

After almost 15 years on sqns I have rarely seen time given to sqn boys to go and play sports, Have things changed that much that no one is getting away playing sport or going on exped?

The RAF News and Active mag are full of people away doing this and that exped, always thought there was 2 air forces anyway so things have not really changed. Maybe it is time to join the other half of the RAF getting plenty of time off.

After almost 15 years on sqns I have rarely seen time given to sqn boys to go and play sports, Have things changed that much that no one is getting away playing sport or going on exped?

The RAF News and Active mag are full of people away doing this and that exped, always thought there was 2 air forces anyway so things have not really changed. Maybe it is time to join the other half of the RAF getting plenty of time off.

not necessarily that they are getting permission to get away..............just not enough people left on station these days to run something like a CO's cup!

C

Captain Gatso

[/QUOTE]
I hardley know of any techie, that has been on an exped recently, or within the last year come to that. I read the Active mag and it's just full of zobs and trades that are not 100% criticle to flight line ops, always away on some exped. Where is the justice in this? They have raised the fitness test levels, in an effort to try and convince the rest of us that we have to do more fitness activities. It's not that we don't want to do any sport, it's more of a case is that WE DON'T HAVE THE FCUKIN TIME TO DO ANY. It's another classic case of someone puting two an two together and coming up with 15. Officers highlight the importance to us of fitness. Ok then, start giving the techies the time to do some. I have been told that I should do more in my OWN TIME. My reply to that was that I value my time with my Wife and family, more than doing fitness for the RAF. My off time is my own, and the RAF has still ( thank god) no say in the matter. This example is just one of loads of obsticles that techies are facing today. Not only has the OOA tempo increased, the amount of **** we have to do, when at home has rocketed. No wonder all of us are heading for the PVR door.:PDT_Xtremez_35:

Realist78

Master of my destiny
I hardley know of any techie, that has been on an exped recently, or within the last year come to that. I read the Active mag and it's just full of zobs and trades that are not 100% criticle to flight line ops, always away on some exped. Where is the justice in this? They have raised the fitness test levels, in an effort to try and convince the rest of us that we have to do more fitness activities. It's not that we don't want to do any sport, it's more of a case is that WE DON'T HAVE THE FCUKIN TIME TO DO ANY. It's another classic case of someone puting two an two together and coming up with 15. Officers highlight the importance to us of fitness. Ok then, start giving the techies the time to do some. I have been told that I should do more in my OWN TIME. My reply to that was that I value my time with my Wife and family, more than doing fitness for the RAF. My off time is my own, and the RAF has still ( thank god) no say in the matter. This example is just one of loads of obsticles that techies are facing today. Not only has the OOA tempo increased, the amount of **** we have to do, when at home has rocketed. No wonder all of us are heading for the PVR door.:PDT_Xtremez_35:[/QUOTE]

On the whole, well said CG. You often get the 'well, make time etc'. That's fine apart from trying to change the laws of physics etc (only Scotty could do that!). Year by year, our spare time (???) is being taken up with a multitude of other (often work related) tasks and then to actually find ADDITIONAL time to go running around getting fit, or fitter, is impossible. There's been a number of threads recently that have mentioned doing an hour PT before shift etc, FFS why not simply state to everyone that you are to live a singlies life and moreover, live at work! We already work excessive hours with decreasing resources and every task involves a hurdle to get over. At the end of the working day (I can only speak for techies), you are already fcuked and have very little extra to give. If you're lucky, you may get a couple of hours of quality time with the wife and kids. The can do attitude has been well and truly stretched and is close to breaking!!:PDT_Xtremez_25:

C

ChavHater

I hardley know of any techie, that has been on an exped recently, or within the last year come to that. I read the Active mag and it's just full of zobs and trades that are not 100% criticle to flight line ops, always away on some exped. Where is the justice in this? They have raised the fitness test levels, in an effort to try and convince the rest of us that we have to do more fitness activities. It's not that we don't want to do any sport, it's more of a case is that WE DON'T HAVE THE FCUKIN TIME TO DO ANY. It's another classic case of someone puting two an two together and coming up with 15. Officers highlight the importance to us of fitness. Ok then, start giving the techies the time to do some. I have been told that I should do more in my OWN TIME. My reply to that was that I value my time with my Wife and family, more than doing fitness for the RAF. My off time is my own, and the RAF has still ( thank god) no say in the matter. This example is just one of loads of obsticles that techies are facing today. Not only has the OOA tempo increased, the amount of **** we have to do, when at home has rocketed. No wonder all of us are heading for the PVR door.:PDT_Xtremez_35:

On the whole, well said CG. You often get the 'well, make time etc'. That's fine apart from trying to change the laws of physics etc (only Scotty could do that!). Year by year, our spare time (???) is being taken up with a multitude of other (often work related) tasks and then to actually find ADDITIONAL time to go running around getting fit, or fitter, is impossible. There's been a number of threads recently that have mentioned doing an hour PT before shift etc, FFS why not simply state to everyone that you are to live a singlies life and moreover, live at work! We already work excessive hours with decreasing resources and every task involves a hurdle to get over. At the end of the working day (I can only speak for techies), you are already fcuked and have very little extra to give. If you're lucky, you may get a couple of hours of quality time with the wife and kids. The can do attitude has been well and truly stretched and is close to breaking!!:PDT_Xtremez_25:[/QUOTE]

Fully agree and support both comments. I have never been given time off for exped or sport, except when on nights, do event and then turn in for a full night shift!! However, compulsory PT will never work when our lives are driven by a flying programme and that will never change. Agree active mag is full of non-programme centric individuals and that will never change. Maybe your right and it will only change when there is no-one actually left except shinies and stackers. I live about 6 miles from work and currently either run or cycle to keep fit, lengthens the day but no chance when at work. Doing a marathon next month so training is at a premium.

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
When talking about fitness outside of normal working hours, don't forget that it needs to be squeezed in around all those secondary duties!
Sounds to me like the RAF needs to be a 1/3rd bigger for a new shift so we can drop a few hours off each working day for sport/fitness/JPA/secondary duties/and even associated duties (I dont have time for mine!).

C

Combet Sheep

I hardley know of any techie, that has been on an exped recently, or within the last year come to that. I read the Active mag and it's just full of zobs and trades that are not 100% criticle to flight line ops, always away on some exped. Where is the justice in this? They have raised the fitness test levels, in an effort to try and convince the rest of us that we have to do more fitness activities. It's not that we don't want to do any sport, it's more of a case is that WE DON'T HAVE THE FCUKIN TIME TO DO ANY. It's another classic case of someone puting two an two together and coming up with 15. Officers highlight the importance to us of fitness. Ok then, start giving the techies the time to do some. I have been told that I should do more in my OWN TIME. My reply to that was that I value my time with my Wife and family, more than doing fitness for the RAF. My off time is my own, and the RAF has still ( thank god) no say in the matter. This example is just one of loads of obsticles that techies are facing today. Not only has the OOA tempo increased, the amount of **** we have to do, when at home has rocketed. No wonder all of us are heading for the PVR door.:PDT_Xtremez_35:[/QUOTE]

I disagree totaly with the fact that few techies get to go on expeds. I know plenty who have been on trips in the last few years, all of whom have worked on front line squadrons. The main obstacle to expeds is the fact that lots of people are too lazy to take advantage of the opportunities that are available.

will hung

LAC
worked like a dog

worked like a dog

The manpower thing is techie world wide. At my place we're flying 9 jets a day, up to 3 sorties each. On the shop floor on nights the sootie/mech desk consists of 1 Raf snec,1 cpl & 4 SACs! The remaining manpower is made up of limited supervisor Naval leading hands without 2 brain cells to rub together & the odd 23 year old Naval PO with about as much skill in man management & aircraft work as a chock! As a result we find ourselves working our own jets, but running backwards & forwards holding the hands of & guiding the incompetent matelots! Nevertheless, more often than not the line is always full of serviceable jets the next morning, so aslong as we carry on burning ourselves out, cutting corners, & pushing ourselves, it'll always be expected! Somthings got to give.:PDT_Xtremez_25:

P

pie sandwich

I disagree totaly with the fact that few techies get to go on expeds. I know plenty who have been on trips in the last few years, all of whom have worked on front line squadrons. The main obstacle to expeds is the fact that lots of people are too lazy to take advantage of the opportunities that are available.[/QUOTE]

I also know lots of techies that get to go away with the raf, but its always to the same places like afgan or iraq, none the less they do get out of the office here.

Must be nice in your RAF all those expeds i bet you dont have any bother putting leave in do you, while the rest of us have to carry over theirs in my case 28 days, just not enough people around to be allowed time off, they are busy on these expeds to war zones

Back