• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sparky hand badges for Assimilurated DFs?

R

ROTORHEAD

BCB Badge

BCB Badge

Perhaps the new avionics trade? should have a new badge to mark the amalgamation.

Could I suggest a large Bale of straw, (like the ones they continually have to clutch at when indulging in their worst fear, FAULT DIAGNOSIS)

This with the title B.C.B for (Box Changing Ba$ta4d)

fatbaldchief

Corporal
Perhaps the new avionics trade? should have a new badge to mark the amalgamation.

Could I suggest a large Bale of straw, (like the ones they continually have to clutch at when indulging in their worst fear, FAULT DIAGNOSIS)

I have a pair of dice cufflinks to remind me of when I used to work on the Mighty F3.

The Radar has 12 LRU's don't ya know!!
:PDT_Xtremez_30:

W

Wotnoengines

Why on earth should either Fairys or DFs get sparky badges when the real trades get nothing?
A serious question techie brethren.

When Leckys get assimilated to A Tech Av does that then mean that they can wear the Comms sparky hand badges?

D

dodgysootie

On completion of training they should be issued with a bag of chicken bones to aid with fault diagnosis and can I suggest experienced AV's should be able to earn "1000,2000,3000 etc NFF badges.
DS

fatbaldchief

Corporal
On completion of training they should be issued with a bag of chicken bones to aid with fault diagnosis and can I suggest experienced AV's should be able to earn "1000,2000,3000 etc NFF badges.
DS

Thanks for the input. I fear you are too late. I, being of longstanding out in the field, have actually earned and been awarded my 10,000 NFF badge and have it proudly displayed, framed, in my study.

Next to the mummified head of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guglielmo_Marconi
:PDT_Xtremez_14:

JAFAD666

Flight Sergeant
Signals Flash

Signals Flash

My understanding of the " Sparky hand badge " is ... In WWII or the Battle of Britain, an ACII or LAC Comcen worker Rx`d a Flash Signal with some intell for the AOC of the Group. He proceeded to take it to the AVM, but was stopped in the outer office by an over officious Fg Off who said someting along the lines of "and where do you think your going Airman ?". Naturally enough he replied "to see the AVM" . " Oh no your not young man, not without Gen Apping first" . To cut along story short the AOC got his Intel 2 weeks later and went through the roof. So to prevent this happening again, a distinctive badge was given to all message handlers to excuse them from the normal protocols of seeing star ranks, when in the excecution of their duties. So the hand symbolises delivery and the sparks symbolises Flash traffic. If a signal goes missing you could lose a whole squadron or airfield, if a spanner goes missing it`s probably only going to be one frame lost, hence no Sparky Spanner. I stand to be corrected by the font of all knowledge regarding TG3/4/11 that is MAINJAFAD but even if the above is not totally correct it`s a good yarn. As for the young officer I believe he was put in charge of scraping the barnacles off the botton of rescue motor lauches in Macrahanish, in charge of 1, himself.

It`s commonly known as the spider despite having only 6 legs.

Last edited:

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
DS

Obviously the really experienced AV's will never get that many NFF's. Why fill out a NFF register when a "CB's recycled satis" covers it :PDT_Xtremez_09:

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
My understanding of the " Sparky hand badge " is ... In WWII or the Battle of Britain, an ACII or LAC Comcen worker Rx`d a Flash Signal with some intell for the AOC of the Group. He proceeded to take it to the AVM, but was stopped in the outer office by an over officious Fg Off who said someting along the lines of "and where do you think your going Airman ?". Naturally enough he replied "to see the AVM" . " Oh no your not young man, not without Gen Apping first" . To cut along story short the AOC got his Intel 2 weeks later and went through the roof. So to prevent this happening again, a distinctive badge was given to all message handlers to excuse them from the normal protocols of seeing star ranks, when in the excecution of their duties. So the hand symbolises delivery and the sparks symbolises Flash traffic. If a signal goes missing you could lose a whole squadron or airfield, if a spanner goes missing it`s probably only going to be one frame lost, hence no Sparky Spanner. I stand to be corrected by the font of all knowledge regarding TG3/4/11 that is MAINJAFAD but even if the above is not totally correct it`s a good yarn. As for the young officer I believe he was put in charge of scraping the barnacles off the botton of rescue motor lauches in Macrahanish, in charge of 1, himself.

It`s commonly known as the spider despite having only 6 legs.

To be honest, I never have looked into the history of the Trade Badge, However have just done a quick google search and JAFAD666 is almost correct in the reason for the signals trade badge, however it dates back to just after the formation of the RAF, found the quote below on the Radar Pages Web site.

In the early days of the R.A.F. an airman was not allowed to speak directly to an officer, only an NCO was permitted to do so. As wireless was introduced it was often necessary for airmen to approach an officer directly with an important signal. The "Sparks" badge was the airman's authority to approach an officer. This badge is unique as it was the first and only trade badge to be authorised by the Royal Air Force (19th September 1918 - AMO 1066) and to this day the signals trade group is the only trade group in the R.A.F. that has been granted the privilege of wearing a trade badge.

Needless to say, back in the old days the signallers also fixed the radio when it was hooped, hence as electronics got more complicated and electronics technical trades were established they got the badge as well. How the badge got into TG2, I don't know, however it most likely happened when the trade of RDF fitter was introduced in 1941/42 to support the massive increase of electronics in RAF aircraft with the introduction of airborne radar and radio navigation aids. (Radar being known as Radio Direction Finding (as a cover name) until about 1943/44 when the SPAM name for the method of its operation was adopted by the British).

Off Topic Does this mean that the PTI badge is illegal? Off Topic

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Badges every where

Badges every where

This badge is unique as it was the first and only trade badge to be authorised by the Royal Air Force (19th September 1918 - AMO 1066) and to this day the signals trade group is the only trade group in the R.A.F. that has been granted the privilege of wearing a trade badge.[/B]

Off Topic What about RAF Regiment shoulder flashes/badges, Coppers mars bars, PJI badges, Medics snake and dagger, Padres cross, aircrew sh!te hawk, etc. are they all "legal" Off Topic. Fcuked if I know?

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
Off Topic What about RAF Regiment shoulder flashes/badges, Coppers mars bars, PJI badges, Medics snake and dagger, Padres cross, aircrew sh!te hawk, etc. are they all "legal" Off Topic. Fcuked if I know?

The stuff in bold is not my words but quote from a book that is on a web site. If the guy was talking of the Technical Trades, he is right. Of course all of those other trade badges that are used, plus others like bandsman.

I do believe that the Rocks have the RAF Regiment Flashes as part of the Royal Warrant that was signed by George VI that allowed the formation of the Rocks, but besides that the history of RAF trade badges are of no interest to myself whatsoever, hence somebody else will have to answer that question.

The Illegal comment was just a dig at my favourite trade (NOT).

D

DrunkenMonki

Its easy to take a dig at NFF's. How many times have you turned on your computer/Tv/Sky box etc and nothings happened? What do you do? Call a fella in? Nah, you just turn it off and on again and it works. Slight issue turning the power off in mid flight though, im led to believe so anyways by the growbags. So they cant 'recycle', hence we get loads of crap NFF's. Would you rather i just changed random LRU's at however many hundreds of thousands a pop? Heavy trade faults tend to be actual faults, when a pump goes or whatever, it tends to be really gone! I think half my workload is convincing the Jengo that they should sign it off!

Mighty_Wokka

Corporal
Its easy to take a dig at NFF's. How many times have you turned on your computer/Tv/Sky box etc and nothings happened? What do you do? Call a fella in? Nah, you just turn it off and on again and it works. Slight issue turning the power off in mid flight though, im led to believe so anyways by the growbags. So they cant 'recycle', hence we get loads of crap NFF's. Would you rather i just changed random LRU's at however many hundreds of thousands a pop? Heavy trade faults tend to be actual faults, when a pump goes or whatever, it tends to be really gone! I think half my workload is convincing the Jengo that they should sign it off!

Surely you mean 'unable to reproduce fault on the ground' ??

Fairys arf!

S

si_gone

As an ex-L Fitt NI, we always heard the L Fitt ACs calling it "The Galloping Crab". Make of that what you will.

D

DarkFairy

leckies can't expect to get sparky badges after a 5 week course!! Only the fairy elite deserve them!!:PDT_Xtremez_25:

Back