• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Speed tape to the rescue

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
Used it to welcome a LAC to the Sqn. It's amazing how sticky it can be when holding a LAC upside down on the rugby post.

G

Gord

From the pictures an engineer uses speed tape to cover a joint on an intake and the passengers are apparently worried. Don't they understand the many uses of speed tape.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...E-engine-shell-easyJet-plane-moments-off.html

What have you used speed tape for?

Everything.

Great stuff, comes in 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6 inch widths and also in rolls of tape that are around 10 inches wide and have an adhesive on the back that could hold down a rampant elephant. Brilliant stuff and surprising just how many winter beater cars in the parking lot are held together with it.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Seriously though, I have used it to cover eroded leading edges of panels, which apparently is what it was being used for in the piccy and also among other things, for holding on makeshift panels, such as the one I installed on an Air China 747 engine pylon after the original one blew off somewhere en route to Toronto. We did the ground handling for them at the time and they wanted us to make up a panel to cover the hole in the pylon which was approx` 2ft by 2.5 ft,

I took the measurements, fabricated the panel and fitted it in place but since they didn`t want to take the time for us to instal new camlocks on the panel due to their schedule, I taped it in place using the 10`` super sticky sh!te. That was about 15 yrs ago and unless removed it could quite likely still be in place. :biggrin:

I reckon you could build a bloody plane out of that heavy stuff, it`s about 12 thou` thick and the adhesive has to be either scraped off or removed with solvent.

Last edited:

andy135

LAC
That stuff is holding the back of my drivers door mirror in place, and its been through the car wash several times.:pDT_Xtremez_31:

TARDE85

LAC
Got a hole in my brake servo once. Used speed tape to seal the hole, covered it in Epoxi-patch for rigidity and to stop the tape edges lifting. Was still on when I got rid of the car 3 years later.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Got a hole in my brake servo once. Used speed tape to seal the hole, covered it in Epoxi-patch for rigidity and to stop the tape edges lifting. Was still on when I got rid of the car 3 years later.

I suppose that can be considered fair warning never to buy anything from you !!

Malesu

Corporal
Subscriber
There were plenty of VC10s held together with speed tape, especially around the engine nacelles. Can't ever recall one of them falling out of the sky 🙌 If it can cope with being soaked in Skydrol, it's good enough for any job...

Last edited:

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Some of the comments below the story :hopelessness:

Public opinion? May as well ask a bunch of orang-utans what they think, you'd get the same quality of response.

G

Gord

Ah but you are talking about duct tape which generally is sh!te, even when used for it's intended purpose. It may be ok for cold air ducts but won't last worth a damn on a hot air duct. Speed tape on the other hand, when rubbed down properly to ensure there is no air trapped beneath it will last for years. I have used the heavy stuff as a temporary repair on a silencer on my car after it developed a hole and it was working so well I left it in place for about two months before shelling out for a new silencer. I no longer have that problem however as my car has a stainless steel exhaust system.:biggrin: